Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post

I think they should pick the more popular characters from each recent new generation (like Armor, Pixie, Rockslide, Anole, X-23, Oya, Genesis, Surge etc) and make them a real X-men team. In my head cannon they'd be the ones responsible for rescuing and training new mutants on the use of their powers. The classic X-men have moved on on from that, but it's a cool niche for a new team.
    Heck, I'd use this book to bring back Synch as well. He'd be a real example to the others and I can already imagine the great chemistry he'd have with someone like Armor.
    Aren't Armor, Pixie, Rockslide, Anole, X-23, Oya, Genesis, Surge, Scout and Glob Herman ,Shark Girl, Gold Balls, Ernst around for Dawn of X. I think we are going to see something with those characters.

I don't know if the set-up needs to be students, but I do think Young X-Men in training might work well.

There seems to be quite a fan-base for former New X-men stars like Surge, Hellion, Dust, Armor, Pixie, Anole and Rockslide.
    But also others like Glob Herman, mercury and even Indra seem to have fans. So I think a set-up a la New Mutants used to be, might work perfectly. This current generation needs their own generation of X-Men, just like the New Mutants and Gen X generation got theirs.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Yet we see Harry Potter, Legacy, My Hero Academia, Umbrella Academy and more doing well. The worst part of about it is that you can see the X-men influence in some of these things. It is not a matter of there isn't a demand for the books.
    It could be that the younger mutant characters just aren't that interesting--those like Jubilee, Chamber, and M seem to turn heads, and obviously there are the New Mutants, but...

When I say there isn't market demand, I'm just referring to the sales of the young mutant books that have come out in the last... however long. Decade-plus?

The biggest handicap is the X-men higher ups don't want the X-men to age and Teen stories you need some progress forward. So the X-men have a bit of self sabotage for teens book success that need to solve from the Marvel office level not a sales level. And you can't put out Generation X book and go see young X-men don't sell because that was nowhere even close to a best effort.
    I would say it's way less of a Marvel, X-Men, or "higher ups" problem, and way more of an issue with this being a serialized medium.

Unless the YA book takes place outside of 616 canon, you can't age them up in a way like the examples you used, because it then has to age everyone up. You basically have to keep telling the same stories as New Mutants (v1) and Generation X (v1).

Every writer makes new kids and forgets off the old generation because they get some royalty from creating a character and having them be used afterwards. So what they do is determined by the economics.
    Especially when Marvel keeps the character. So writers save all their good ideas for their creator-owned books and the X-School just gets the toss-off jokes that took two minutes to think up.

If we're doing a school book, I wouldn't want the NXM gen stuck there (Surge, Gentle, Hellion, Armor, Elixir, Stepford Cuckoos, Rockslide, Anole, Mercury, Dust, Pixie, Bling!, Indra, Trance) so they can actively be a part of the main X-Men. This would be perfect for the Aaron generation to have their wacky, PG-rated adventures in the new Krakoan school, like Eye-Boy, Nature Girl, Sprite, Shark-Girl, Glob, Scorpion Boy, Oya, Ziggy, Broo, Kid Omega, and Genesis. Seems like a win/win for fans of both generations.

Mighty Member

I would love a book that features most of the x men but the central cast are the kids.. M's sisters Claudette and Nicole, Karma's siblings(really need to be fleshed out) , Desmond( I like his look) , Ziggy karst and Honey Badger.

The adults and older teens could cycle in out. They could interact with Moon girl down the line and be the book that has interaction with Franklin and his group of young scientists and heroes.

NextGen was a test for a young mutants title.
    But it didn't sale very well, even for Age of X-man standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    NextGen was a test for a young mutants title.
    But it didn't sale very well, even for Age of X-man standards.
    what standards? It was doing just as poorly as the other titles

With the success of My Hero Academia, Marvel should respond not with a new title in the under construction X-Line, but an Avengers Academy relaunch for next year, after Hank likely returns in the Iron Man 2020 event. But here's the hook: This time, Giant-Man will be drawn to look like that Almighty guy.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    I would love a book that features most of the x men but the central cast are the kids.. M's sisters Claudette and Nicole, Karma's siblings(really need to be fleshed out) , Desmond( I like his look) , Ziggy karst and Honey Badger.

The adults and older teens could cycle in out. They could interact with Moon girl down the line and be the book that has interaction with Franklin and his group of young scientists and heroes.
    This would be the natural extension of the next generation X-Men concept now that there are literal children or young teens that could be used for this role. Claudette, Nicole, at least one of the younger Guthrie's, Scout. Then with a rotating cast of X-Men that teach them as necessary.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    It could be that the younger mutant characters just aren't that interesting--those like Jubilee, Chamber, and M seem to turn heads, and obviously there are the New Mutants, but...

When I say there isn't market demand, I'm just referring to the sales of the young mutant books that have come out in the last... however long. Decade-plus?
    I disagree it is a self-fulling prophecy when they put out some of the books they have in the last decade. Is Marvel really putting their best foot forward? A simple example is this X-23 is by far the most popular character in the age range. How many books has she been in that decade period you are talking about?

I feel bad for Trevor and Lin!

Spectacular Member

I think a title along these lines is very plausible. They've said they're already working on Wave 2 Dawn of X titles, and that they're not solo series. JDW said in an interview last week that solo X-titles don't sell except for rare exceptions, and that none of the Wave 2 titles would be solo books.

I would love it if some of the unused younger students could find a home in one of those unrevealed upcoming Wave 2 titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    If we're doing a school book, I wouldn't want the NXM gen stuck there (Surge, Gentle, Hellion, Armor, Elixir, Stepford Cuckoos, Rockslide, Anole, Mercury, Dust, Pixie, Bling!, Indra, Trance) so they can actively be a part of the main X-Men. This would be perfect for the Aaron generation to have their wacky, PG-rated adventures in the new Krakoan school, like Eye-Boy, Nature Girl, Sprite, Shark-Girl, Glob, Scorpion Boy, Oya, Ziggy, Broo, Kid Omega, and Genesis. Seems like a win/win for fans of both generations.
    The Xbooks could use it's own Gotham Academy/Lumberjanes. I thought Gen X was perfect for that sort of thing but it didn't last long.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I disagree it is a self-fulling prophecy when they put out some of the books they have in the last decade. Is Marvel really putting their best foot forward? A simple example is this X-23 is by far the most popular character in the age range. How many books has she been in that decade period you are talking about?
    What are you trying to say X-23 is an example of?

Does X-23's relative popularity mean there's demand for a young mutant team book?