Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you think will happen next in the Spider-Man books?

Traditionally, major franchises like Spider-Man have periods where things are radically different followed by periods where it's more back to basics.

For the last year and half, the book's been more back to basics, since Slott showed the dismantling of "Parker Industries" and Nick Spencer kicked off his run with a story that was literally called 'Back to Basics.'

This probably won't last forever, so where do you see the series going next? And where would you like to see the series going?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Traditionally, major franchises like Spider-Man have periods where things are radically different followed by periods where it's more back to basics.
    Terms like "tradition", "back to basics", "radicallly different" are often more marketing buzzwords than actual descriptors of in-page action. Like Brand New Day was sold as "back to basics" initially, as was "Big Time" even when both are actually pretty sharp and radical in terms of the status-quo. Spencer's run seems "back to basics" because it seems to revert to some of Peter's pre-BND characterization as well as other parts of the supporting cast and so on. From a certain angle, The Night Gwen Stacy Died is a radical break from Lee-Romita, from another angle, it's back to basics in terms of sending Peter back to something closer to the Lee-Ditko run most notably paying off the romance between Peter and MJ that Ditko had set up in his run.

I think being tied to such a binary view might not help things too much.

For the last year and half, the book's been more back to basics, since Slott showed the dismantling of "Parker Industries" and Nick Spencer kicked off his run with a story that was literally called 'Back to Basics.' This probably won't last forever, so where do you see the series going next?
    So basically after 9 years of Slott riding roughshod on the character and the world with his mediocre stories and asinine plot shake-ups, one year of Spencer writing Spider-Man closer to what his stories are normally supposed to be isn't right for people...okay.

In general the traditional "basics" of Spider-Man will always constitute the majority of his run while brief shakeups and so on will be passing events and so on.

And where would you like to see the series going?
    Obviously Spencer's run will be divided in terms of the period before Peter learned Kindred's identity and the period after Peter learned Kindred's identity. The entire engine of his run is the mystery thread, and as a rule a mystery story works best when you have some kind of stable status-quo, at least until the mystery is resolved.

Right now, I just hope Kindred works and doesn't turn out to be a waste of everyone's time. Beyond that, who knows?

i already stated in multiple posts but I want Peter to have a stable job Once and for All so that he doesn't have to struggle for money and live with and off other people. I want to see the steps on how Spider-Man becomes the greatest hero of all according to Cable. What I dont't want to see is a future writer to eventually bring back Uncle Ben cause to my knowledge I believe that every single important character who died in comics came back except him but if he does come back I wouldn't lie to see how huge the backlash will be. But ultimately I do want a version of an ending that this character could have. Cause I come to accept that these characters will be immortal and they can't have an ending but with multiple stories doing a future timeline with characters I do want to see how one will go down in the current 616 universe.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I feel like Spencer is probably going to do a story that brings together the various spider-people since it seems like Kindred is targeting them, even though most of them aren't that close to Peter, maybe using that as a springboard to give some of them books again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    i already stated in multiple posts but I want Peter to have a stable job Once and for All so that he doesn't have to struggle for money and live with and off other people. I want to see the steps on how Spider-Man becomes the greatest hero of all according to Cable. What I dont't want to see is a future writer to eventually bring back Uncle Ben cause to my knowledge I believe that every single important character who died in comics came back except him but if he does come back I wouldn't lie to see how huge the backlash will be. But ultimately I do want a version of an ending that this character could have. Cause I come to accept that these characters will be immortal and they can't have an ending but with multiple stories doing a future timeline with characters I do want to see how one will go down in the current 616 universe.
    I kinda hope that's what the Norah thing turns out to be. Like, bringing back the Bugle dynamic without necessarily bringing back the Bugle (since a lot of people don't want to see Peter working there anymore even though it was still his most stable and entertaining job).

Here's an idea. Maybe a year or so from now, Miles will graduate school... now, bear in mind he's in his current school by virtue of winning a lottery. College will not pay for itself! So he follows in Peter's footsteps and does work for the Bugle (maybe as a writer rather than a photographer). That would bring the Bugle cast back into focus.

Silk could join the Bugle as well, as she has journalism experience having worked for Fact Channel.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Here's an idea. Maybe a year or so from now, Miles will graduate school... now, bear in mind he's in his current school by virtue of winning a lottery. College will not pay for itself! So he follows in Peter's footsteps and does work for the Bugle (maybe as a writer rather than a photographer). That would bring the Bugle cast back into focus.
    I think that would be too in-line with Peter to do with Miles. He shouldn't be retreading Peter stuff, he should be going his own way.

I also don't think there's a rush to put Miles in college yet. Especially when Peter's gone back. Unless they want him and Gwen going to school together.
    Silk could join the Bugle as well, as she has journalism experience having worked for Fact Channel.
    Well, if Jonah goes along with whatever Nora is doing he might bring along "Analog" if she's not too busy on the Agents of Atlas.

Here's the information for future events that have been set-up so far in the run:

-The mysterious object Boomerang has Kingpin so desperately wants
    -Norah's secret start-up project with Jonah
    -Randy's girlfriend
    -Betty Brant in danger?
    -The new Savage Six
    -The Chameleon's plan
    -The new Kraven
    -Aunt May's cancer
    -Peter going to school
    -Miguel returning
    -MJ's movie with Mysterio
    -Kindred targeting the other Spiders
    -Kindred's identity

I don't know where in a grander thematic sense each of these points could lead to later down the line, but they do all have very interesting narrative potential regarding which stories they decide to focus on.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Man, Ottley draws a sick Green Goblin.

MY BOY IS BACK!!! Love the Green Goblin, man. And judging by the art, it looks like a cover. Methinks Osborn is purged of the Carnage symbiote and identity and becomes the Goblin again.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Here's the information for future events that have been set-up so far in the run:

-The mysterious object Boomerang has Kingpin so desperately wants
    -Norah's secret start-up project with Jonah
    -Randy's girlfriend
    -Betty Brant in danger?
    -The new Savage Six
    -The Chameleon's plan
    -The new Kraven
    -Aunt May's cancer
    -Peter going to school
    -Miguel returning
    -MJ's movie with Mysterio
    -Kindred targeting the other Spiders
    -Kindred's identity

I don't know where in a grander thematic sense each of these points could lead to later down the line, but they do all have very interesting narrative potential regarding which stories they decide to focus on.
    The MJ movie story is in her solo book. The cancer story was started in Friendly Neighborhood, so I'd expect that story to continue there. Amazing would only be affected when she dies. Peter at school will actually be covered in both Amazing and Ghost-Spider. The Kindred thing is likely leading up to the December event, which seems to be Mephisto related. Remember, the devil has already messed with Peter (way back in One More Day), Miles (in Champions) and Otto.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

The MJ movie story is in her solo book. The cancer story was started in Friendly Neighborhood, so I'd expect that story to continue there. Amazing would only be affected when she dies. Peter at school will actually be covered in both Amazing and Ghost-Spider. The Kindred thing is likely leading up to the December event, which seems to be Mephisto related. Remember, the devil has already messed with Peter (way back in One More Day), Miles (in Champions) and Otto.
    And if we still want to count that, Ben Reilly and Kaine Parker when Ben's recent solo tied into Doctor Strange: Damnation.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

To be fair, the thread was talking about Spider-Man books in general, so while the MJ and cancer stuff will be mainly focused in other books, they either have or will have major impact on the main book too, so I included them.

Also, have they confirmed that the supposed December event is Spider-Man related? It feels to me like it may be a bit too soon for that, since Hunted will have only been a few months ago and Absolute Carnage will have JUST ended. Plus there's the 2099 "event" which could be anything, though Miguel returning at the same time is probably linked to it in same way. I think Kindred going after the other Spiders will be the big story to close out Year 2.

The story with Miguel and the "future dying", I bet the Chameleon is behind this, seeing his promise in ASM #23

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

For the last year and half, the book's been more back to basics, since Slott showed the dismantling of "Parker Industries" and Nick Spencer kicked off his run with a story that was literally called 'Back to Basics.'

This probably won't last forever, so where do you see the series going next? And where would you like to see the series going?
    I like to see the writer mixing things up by bringing other characters into Spider-Man's world like Tigra and The Taskmaster into the Spider-Family.