Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Good for One Piece, I lapsed briefly after the Deprosa Arc, but it's been consistently one of the best reads comic/manga for years and years.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

it is quite odd for me to see a manga/comics crossover.........
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

There have been a few manga American comics crossovers.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

It's pointless for the American comic book industry to try to beat Japanese manga at its own game because manga does not arise from a culture whose adults contemptuously (outside of fandom) treat sequential narrative art (e.g. "comics") as juvenile piffle...or at least dismiss it as entertainment unsuitable for adult tastes. Unless that fundamental underlying cultural assumption changes (don't hold your breath), Japanese manga will continue to out-volume American comic books. Realistically, characters and stories that originate in American comic books tend to receive their highest profile and commercial success from licensing for movies, animation, TV series, toys, video games, and assorted other merchandise.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    It's pointless for the American comic book industry to try to beat Japanese manga at its own game because manga does not arise from a culture whose adults contemptuously (outside of fandom) treat sequential narrative art (e.g. "comics") as juvenile piffle...or at least dismiss it as entertainment unsuitable for adult tastes. Unless that fundamental underlying cultural assumption changes (don't hold your breath), Japanese manga will continue to out-volume American comic books. Realistically, characters and stories that originate in American comic books tend to receive their highest profile and commercial success from licensing for movies, animation, TV series, toys, video games, and assorted other merchandise.

The problem probably goes all the way back to America's puritanical roots. Seduction of the Innocent was surprisingly devastating for the industry, and Americans have always been trying to stifle creativity with intense censorship, looking for all kinds of problems and hidden agendas meant to warp children for some nefarious purpose. That line of thinking had damaged comics as well as American animation. Had comics and cartoons not been called out like they were by certain people, they probably would not have the kiddy stigma they suffered for decades. You'd probably have more comics and cartoons for adults, like what Japan has had. It's interesting that while Americans were fortunate to get G.I. Joe, which is cool and everything, Japan was having a giant boom of really impressively done OVAs that most western stuff couldn't come close to. There would also likely be way more popular genres in comics than just the superhero stuff, which is a direct result of Seduction of the Innocent.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 08-13-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Astonishing Member

Wait, are we talking about one piece selling better than batman in America? Or in General? Because One Piece as a whole has sells better than probably the top 100 comic sales. I saw articles where one piece sold better worldwide then the bible. So Manga as a whole has always dominated comics in terms of sales, but this would be unique if manga starts to sell better than comics in the states.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

But, there is also the fact that a good portion of sales don't come from japan alone.i am Not just talking about one piece here. In fact, if i remember correctly naruto did better outside of japan than in. Why is that? If americans are so prejudiced then why do they buy mangas?
    Can you honestly say millennials and post millennial generations share the same view of sequential narrative art industry as the previous generations?
    The problem is mangas have one author who will also be the artist,one vision entirely dependent on the authors imagination ,one story with a beginning middle and end. It is easier to get into. But i guess you are right in the sense that american comics evolved from an episodic formula which permeated in the newspaper cartoon strip industry before it. They were serialised later. American comics have much more in common with garfield, cavin and hobbes.. Etc than mangas which have never been episodic except for few exceptions.
    I also forgot to add that mangas are bought by animation studios who make animes which also act as publicity for the product. Since, manga usually always outpaces it animated counter part people would be interested in the manga to know more.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-13-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Just to put it in perspective. The latest collected vol of One Piece (Vol 91) sold a little over 1.5 million copies in just its first week in Japan. No US comic has sold like that in decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Just to put it in perspective. The latest collected vol of One Piece (Vol 91) sold a little over 1.5 million copies in just its first week in Japan. No US comic has sold like that in decades.

One piece is huge in japan. It has been top no 1 seller for years. But, oda himself said naruto beats one piece outside japan. And sales proved that.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    One piece is huge in japan. It has been top no 1 seller for years. But, oda himself said naruto beats one piece outside japan. And sales proved that.
    Not sure why that matters. I mean Naruto sold 250 million units worldwide while One Piece has almost doubled that, and is still going. Naruto is not even top 3 for sales in just Manga worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Not sure why that matters. I mean Naruto sold 250 million units worldwide while One Piece has almost doubled that, and is still going. Naruto is not even top 3 for sales in just Manga worldwide.
    Because of the american comic book industry comparisons. One piece's demographic is more home grown than naruto's. All i was saying is that manga industry seem to find better markets even in foreign countries compared to the American comics industry. Anime's plays a huge part in that.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    The problem probably goes all the way back to America's puritanical roots. Seduction of the Innocent was surprisingly devastating for the industry, and Americans have always been trying to stifle creativity with intense censorship, looking for all kinds of problems and hidden agendas meant to warp children for some nefarious purpose. That line of thinking had damaged comics as well as American animation. Had comics and cartoons not been called out like they were by certain people, they probably would not have the kiddy stigma they suffered for decades. You'd probably have more comics and cartoons for adults, like what Japan has had. It's interesting that while Americans were fortunate to get G.I. Joe, which is cool and everything, Japan was having a giant boom of really impressively done OVAs that most western stuff couldn't come close to. There would also likely be way more popular genres in comics than just the superhero stuff, which is a direct result of Seduction of the Innocent.
    I don't believe it has anything to do with puritanism, but only that comics were created for kiddies back in the '30s and still too many people see them that way today.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I don't believe it has anything to do with puritanism..
    I do.