Default Kurt Busiek's Young Batman Idea

On a very recent twitter tirade Kurt posted this:

Kurt Busiek YB.jpg

and yeah this is a pretty good idea
    why not just have Tec become a comic like Legends of the DK and Batman focuses on its thing
    thoughts about this?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

if Legends of The Dark Knight already done it before then why do it again? Unless it's a modernization like Zero Year... and... that's just... Zero Year.
    Also, didn't people complain about Zero Year because it went on too long?
    Batman family has so many characters if Batman has multiple titles it's better to give it to them. Sorta like what Tynion did but less superheroic and more solving cases like a detective.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-11-2019 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    if Legends of The Dark Knight already done it before then why do it again? Unless it's a modernization like Zero Year... and... that's just... Zero Year.
    I feel like Zero Year was a pretty different animal from what Busiek is implying here

the Year One comparison is more accurate, just have more stories and cases during that period of time after he don the cowl
    or even secret stories in the middle of ZY

Batman family has so many characters if Batman has multiple titles it's better to give it to them. Sorta like what Tynion did but less superheroic and more solving cases like a detective.
    I dont disagree with any of this
    I loved Tynion's run and I wish it was still going on right now

however that is pretty besides the point
    there is no reason to not have both
    we can have a LotDK kind of title besides a Batman Family kind of title running at the same time

I feel like it would be a little "been there, done that" with as many other "early Batman" titles we've seen, you'd just be adjusting for more modern continuity.

Not that I'm wholly against it depending on the approach/creative team.

Well, maybe having a tittle covering a young Bruce and other characters being published regularly would allow the main tittle to go forward, allowing the characters in it to grow old for a decade at least.

I think it could be a chance for getting out of the current neverending loop of Bruce being forever thirdy-something.

I've always liked the idea of a "classic" batman ongoing. That would follow the original dynamic duo in a never ending book of adventures. Like a Saturday morning cartoon show that could just be whatever the writer's wanted to do. Very Silver Age in that respect but with a more Bronze/Modern Age when it came to stories.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like it would be a little "been there, done that" with as many other "early Batman" titles we've seen, you'd just be adjusting for more modern continuity.

Not that I'm wholly against it depending on the approach/creative team.
    If a good detective story comes out of this, then I'm all for it.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I've always liked the idea of a "classic" batman ongoing. That would follow the original dynamic duo in a never ending book of adventures. Like a Saturday morning cartoon show that could just be whatever the writer's wanted to do. Very Silver Age in that respect but with a more Bronze/Modern Age when it came to stories.
    I could totally get behind a BATMAN CLASSIC title which would feature the classic setup of Bruce and Dick as Batman and Robin, but with modern storytelling techniques.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 08-13-2019 at 12:23 AM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I could totally get behind a BATMAN CLASSIC title which would figure the classic setup of Bruce and Dick as Batman and Robin, but with modern storytelling techniques.

Agreed.

I'd actually set this title roughly in the "Dick Grayson in college" era. That way, you get to tell stories with a solo Batman, while still getting Dick as Robin when required. The series would be heavily TAS-inspired, but with the odd Golden Age and Silver Age touch!

Retired

I'm no Kurt Busiek, but if I had his career, I would have done a series about the original Dynamic Duo set in the 1940s. And for a back-up series about the young Bruce Wayne, I would feature "Bruce Wayne, the Boy Wonder Detective," which would see the orphaned Bruce with his erstwhile butler, Pennyworth (Alfred's father), travelling the world in the late 1920s, solving crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm no Kurt Busiek, but if I had his career, I would have done a series about the original Dynamic Duo set in the 1940s. And for a back-up series about the young Bruce Wayne, I would feature "Bruce Wayne, the Boy Wonder Detective," which would see the orphaned Bruce with his erstwhile butler, Pennyworth (Alfred's father), travelling the world in the late 1920s, solving crimes.
    Shounen Tantei Bruce-tan! (Kid Detective Brucie!) Ah, in manga format, ha ha! I think that could be hilariously cute.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    the Year One comparison is more accurate, just have more stories and cases during that period of time after he dons the cowl or even secret stories in the middle of ZY
    That's the thing... they already kinda do that before in Legends of The Dark Knight, and we can also count Man Who Laughs, Monster Man, Mad Monk, Long Halloween... unless you're talking about something timeless, as in, there's no time limit on this early days, just a series of short stories that doesn't affect canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Busiek said this would be his idea if he were writing comics in the 70's...so this hypothetical book he'd have written would have predated all of that. He's not saying it should be done now.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Agreed.

I'd actually set this title roughly in the "Dick Grayson in college" era. That way, you get to tell stories with a solo Batman, while still getting Dick as Robin when required. The series would be heavily TAS-inspired, but with the odd Golden Age and Silver Age touch!
    Great idea, and I totally agree. I loved the whole set-up that B:TAS had going on. Those were good times, man.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 08-12-2019 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Added a few words.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I could totally get behind a BATMAN CLASSIC title which would figure the classic setup of Bruce and Dick as Batman and Robin, but with modern storytelling techniques.

I feel like it would be a very popular series and I'm kinda surprised there isn't anything like it out right now.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics