All-New Member

Default Trying to get back into comics

OK, so I have always liked comics, and I would read the occasional one from time to time. But I would love to be able to know as much as I can about particular heroes/villains. I am a big fan of the anti-hero, Punisher, Deadpool, Ghost Rider, etc. The problem I have is, I hate starting something from the middle. I wanna know where to begin, where to start and where my progression should go.

I'm sure that I am not the only person who has had this question, especially since comic series have been re-written dozens of times.

I just want to get back into my comics, and NO its not because of the movies, lol. I just miss fading away in my comics.

On Marvel Unlimited you can read every Deadpool story, I'm pretty sure. Punisher and Ghost Rider's publication histories are complete but new backlog stuff is added every week, so they'll get there someday. There's also the MAX material that wouldn't be on that service, but can still be bought digitally on Comixology.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Amazing Member

I returned after 9 years away due to finances and being stuck behind. Amazon has digital trades priced well and they work good with tablets, personal I use a 10" android tablet and its amazing.

The better bang for your buck is marvel unlimited. I started off reading backlogs of amazing spiderman from bnd and read up to asm 700. Now im gonna read new avengers and up.

The service works very well and you can read unlimited online or dl up to 12 issues for offline reading. My biggest issue with marvel unlimited is trying to find the correct reading order at times.

All-New Member

I appreciate all the insight you have provided, and I will definitely check out those resources you have mentioned. but my underlying question still remains, how do I get back into it though? where should I start? do I go all the way back the very beginning? is there a better place to start? I know that these are silly questions, but I am just looking to rekindle that feeling I got when I was a kid, while feeding my intrigue as an adult.

Amazing Member

Id pick wherever you left off or stories you enjoyed. Maybe since you can start anywhere start at the characters beginning

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by yada View Post
    Id pick wherever you left off or stories you enjoyed. Maybe since you can start anywhere start at the characters beginning

right on, I just didn't know if I should just jump in or if there was a better starting point. like if I wanted to be 100% learning about winter soldier, if there was a specific place to jump in. what about the Omnibus's ? how are those?

If you like The Punisher then try Punisher Max. It is an adult line with lots of killing and there is some cussing. It is collected in trade paperback. Not sure if it is on Marvel Unlimited. You dont really have to start anywhere. Just issuse number one as it is a new take on Punisher. It is really good.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BenignFool View Post
    right on, I just didn't know if I should just jump in or if there was a better starting point. like if I wanted to be 100% learning about winter soldier, if there was a specific place to jump in. what about the Omnibus's ? how are those?
    If you are interested in Winter Soldier, there's no better place to start than with Brubaker's Captain America run. Yes, even though he doesn't appear in the first issue, I'd start there. I believe it has all been collected in omnibus, and in paperback trade, but I'm sure it is also on Marvel Unlimited and Comixology.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by BenignFool View Post
    OK, so I have always liked comics, and I would read the occasional one from time to time. But I would love to be able to know as much as I can about particular heroes/villains. I am a big fan of the anti-hero, Punisher, Deadpool, Ghost Rider, etc. The problem I have is, I hate starting something from the middle. I wanna know where to begin, where to start and where my progression should go.

I'm sure that I am not the only person who has had this question, especially since comic series have been re-written dozens of times.

I just want to get back into my comics, and NO its not because of the movies, lol. I just miss fading away in my comics.
    If you like anti-heroes, you can try the first two volumes of The Ultimates. They are set in an alternate universe, so there's less cross-reference problems, the thing can be read and enjoyed on its own. The only thing you need to know is that Spider-Man, the X-Men and the Fantastic Four exist somewhere out there, and that Hulk had a fight with Spider-Man before the first arc. Nothing else (not even details about that fight, just that it took place).