Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

They should have him doing something spy related and then he decided to take a selfie. Like him taking a selfie while hanging off a skyscraper or jumping out of a helicopter. Might have been fun.

BANNED

Are there 2 covers for this one?

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Are there 2 covers for this one?
    3 covers, I believe. The Mikel Janin one of Helena showing off her cobweb neck tattoo is the main one, then there's the Robinson selfie, and another variant by Phil Jimenez.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Honestly, they probably should have spiraled out both his faces.
    They photoshopped his face into the shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Or Red Hood, but not sure why he'd be concerned about Jason how took it. Still the "Red Riding Hood" code name could fit either of the 3. Though kind of funny how emasculating it is if its referring to Tim or Jason.
    Perhaps, perhaps not. Remember, we are in Seeley-world here, not Lobdell-world. We probably shouldn't assume that Seeley necessarily sees the relationship among Dick, Tim, and Jason in the same way as another writer. To be honest, I don't think he's terribly interested in Jason as a character, but from how he's written him in Eternal he seems to see him as valuing being part of the Bat Family. I don't know how he regards Tim overall. Still, it's entirely possible that he has a much more traditional take on the dynamics between Tim and Dick than Lobdell seems to have, and he may see Jason as having very positive feelings for his "big brother" as well. After all, in Nightwing 30, when Dick was expressing angst over how his death would affect his family, the first person he mentioned was Jason (admittedly that scene was written by King, not Seeley).

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Janin isn't the artist for the September 5 Years Later issue, so a month off should help him keep his schedule.

Preview looks nice. Great to see some more INC characters show up, The Hood was a fun character, and I liked the little jab at using Deathstroke cutouts as targets even if he and Dick no longer know each other. Wonder if we will get any more nods to old continuity like that in the future. Also I guess we got a little acknowledgement about Dick's "death", but it still feels a little awkward. Kind of surprised they mentioned a funeral given they didn't show it, but at least Dick asked about probably the only two characters that would be impacted by his "death", Alfred and Barbara.
    Seeley is a writer who tells his stories through individual relationships and specific interactions. He has been pretty clear that one of the most important relationships in the larger Grayson story is that between Bruce and Dick. In his interviews he has said: Batman needs Dick to do this job, because Dick is the only one he trusts enough to do it. This story to me is about that relationship and that trust, and the moral shades of grey that Dick will face in the world of espionage. and One of the things Tom and I wanted to do, beyond the drama and conflict between Dick and Bruce, was not another story about the drama and conflict between Dick and Bruce. We didn't want to do another story about how the Robins are exploited and used and eventually turn against Batman. This is still about the two best friends in the DC Universe, but they fight and they have to ask each other to do things that they don't want to. But when it comes down to it, these are the two best buddies that there could be. When they have conflict, it's because it's important. It's because it means something. It's not something to falsify the drama. I think what we saw there was the groundwork being laid for that theme. Dick is obviously upset about his "death" and its impact on his loved ones. Bruce's responses to him were the Batman equivalent of grimacing and gnawing his knuckles. We probably will not get anything like an eagle's eye view of the Bat Family and their current dynamic because that just isn't Seeley (Snyder, perhaps, but not Seeley).

This preview actually has me excited for the next issue. I don't really want those little references to pre-52 like the Deathstroke cutout because it just makes me wish that continuity was the one I am reading.

BANNED

Red Riding Hood is probably a collective term for the other Robins in the bat family.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    This preview actually has me excited for the next issue. I don't really want those little references to pre-52 like the Deathstroke cutout because it just makes me wish that continuity was the one I am reading.
    That's New 52 Deathstroke. He's a famous assassin. They would target him.

I like that they were shooting pictures of the Justice League when Leviathan used Pyg Jr. to brainwash the school back in Leviathan Strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    Seeley is a writer who tells his stories through individual relationships and specific interactions. He has been pretty clear that one of the most important relationships in the larger Grayson story is that between Bruce and Dick. In his interviews he has said: Batman needs Dick to do this job, because Dick is the only one he trusts enough to do it. This story to me is about that relationship and that trust, and the moral shades of grey that Dick will face in the world of espionage. and One of the things Tom and I wanted to do, beyond the drama and conflict between Dick and Bruce, was not another story about the drama and conflict between Dick and Bruce. We didn't want to do another story about how the Robins are exploited and used and eventually turn against Batman. This is still about the two best friends in the DC Universe, but they fight and they have to ask each other to do things that they don't want to. But when it comes down to it, these are the two best buddies that there could be. When they have conflict, it's because it's important. It's because it means something. It's not something to falsify the drama. I think what we saw there was the groundwork being laid for that theme. Dick is obviously upset about his "death" and its impact on his loved ones. Bruce's responses to him were the Batman equivalent of grimacing and gnawing his knuckles. We probably will not get anything like an eagle's eye view of the Bat Family and their current dynamic because that just isn't Seeley (Snyder, perhaps, but not Seeley).
    That sounds pretty similar to what Synder did with the two of them in his Owls arc. It was all about establishing their relationship and what they two meant to each other. Still, I would like Dick to be able to be able to move beyond revolving around Bruce so much, though I get he has to in this situation given he is working for Bruce, but I do like that he is at least interacting with other characters in the DC Universe here, even if they aren't ones I would expect. That was arguably my biggest problem with Higgins' run. Although I think Bruce only appeared in Higgin's run once now that I think about it. It was the issue after Damian died where the two just upset at each other. I don't think he appeared other than that.

Also I forgot to say earlier that Dick's comment about finishing this mission before the flowers on his grave have wilted makes me a little nervous. Since obviously things aren't going to go as smoothly as he wants meaning that his "death" might go on for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseReverseFlash View Post
    Red Riding Hood is probably a collective term for the other Robins in the bat family.
    That's how I took it, that by Red Riding Hood Dick is referring to Red Riding (Tim) Hood(Jason) all in one cryptic shot.

Side note, this preview looks epic. Love the Bruce/Dick convo as peers and I can't get enough of the INC throwbacks. Really looks like we're getting a unique world for Dick.

This just looks so much fun, they need to double ship this book. I'm actually surprised DC hasn't done that for a few titles honestly.

Deathstroke cameo, Bruce being worried, Dick pretending his is really confident with all this and the flirting between Helena and Dick is just great and this was just a preview.

Though I don't mind the Bruce cameos every few issues, I just don't want him in every issue. I do expect him to come along every few issues because this is obviously his idea but just don't push it.

I also think "Red Riding Hood" would be Tim, Dick is an older brother to him(whether they've shown it in the Nu52 or not, he is) and is probably worried about his reaction to all this. I'm sure he would of gotten to all of the Bat Family but Bruce cut him off.

Though I do want to hear more about this funeral....unfortunately the real funeral issue was cut out of the plans.

Quote Originally Posted by RichSummers View Post
    Side note, this preview looks epic. Love the Bruce/Dick convo as peers and I can't get enough of the INC throwbacks. Really looks like we're getting a unique world for Dick.
    Couldn't agree more. Grayson just feels right in this setting so far. The look and feel of the first few issues are unique and seem to jive with Dick's personality really well.

IMO this mission taken on by Dick for Batman, and King's Nightwing 30 fight already has changed the dynamic between the two for the better. How both characters spoke to each other in the preview was bang on in my book.

The appearance of The Hood is very very welcome. Such a cool looking character. I'm hoping his condition in the preview is from a run in with Tiger!

Looking forward to Wednesday!

Incredible Member

This looks awesome! Right now this really is stand out in regards to the Bat Books. Wednesday can't come fast enough. I love the way his face looks when the Satellite was trying to capture it. Very badass.

Also I forgot to say earlier that Dick's comment about finishing this mission before the flowers on his grave have wilted makes me a little nervous. Since obviously things aren't going to go as smoothly as he wants meaning that his "death" might go on for quite a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodOps View Post
    I also think "Red Riding Hood" would be Tim, Dick is an older brother to him(whether they've shown it in the Nu52 or not, he is) and is probably worried about his reaction to all this. I'm sure he would of gotten to all of the Bat Family but Bruce cut him off.

Though I do want to hear more about this funeral....unfortunately the real funeral issue was cut out of the plans.
    I doubt we will see the funeral as such. More likely is that we will see Gotham scenes with Bruce acting as the POV character with various members of the Bat Family expressing their feelings and reactions, rather like the scene with Tim in Eternal. Likely it's true that the flowers comment is meant as ominous foreboding. Likely the tension and conflict will grow as the mystery becomes prolonged, resulting in Bruce spinning ever more lies to the Bat Family while continuing to try and push off Dick's concerns. We also have a hint that someone in the Bat Family may begin to grow suspicious of the whole situation, escalating the tension accordingly.

Astonishing Member

That sounds pretty similar to what Synder did with the two of them in his Owls arc. It was all about establishing their relationship and what they two meant to each other. Still, I would like Dick to be able to be able to move beyond revolving around Bruce so much, though I get he has to in this situation given he is working for Bruce, but I do like that he is at least interacting with other characters in the DC Universe here, even if they aren't ones I would expect. That was arguably my biggest problem with Higgins' run. Although I think Bruce only appeared in Higgin's run once now that I think about it. It was the issue after Damian died where the two just upset at each other. I don't think he appeared other than that.

That brings up an interesting question. I mean, you interact with your friends. You form incredibly close friendships that become "more family than family" sometimes. Are any of us revolving around our friends lives rather than the reverse? Certainly from a publication standpoint, yeah ... sidekick, spin-off, heir apparent, or even just constantly tagged in during crossovers ... since Bruce features in so many publications, Dick seems like a bit of an afterthought. At least in his own title it feels like in this angle, Batman's life is revolving around, is depending on Dick. From our point of view, we're in trouble if we think we're revolving around our friend's life and not vice-versa, I think. But Dick isn't all ego, and he's empathetic enough to know that yeah, his best friend Bruce sort of is. He can be the right-hand man, the sidekick, the ... well, frankly, the Doctor Watson to the mad, bad genius and he still gets to be the show-off, the showman, the rakish rogue, the ladykiller, the one everyone likes.

And that colors all other post-Grayson Batman appearances, too, because any mention of Dick, any interaction with the rest of the Bat-Family - we know that Batman is hoping, trusting that Dick Grayson can save the whole lot of them. The whole damn super-hero community.

Gotta wonder if Bruce's hypocrisy will come into play at all - after all, you know, Spyral wants all the secret identities. What's the first thing Bruce does whenever there's a new super-hero running around?

Three more things; big props to Seeley & King for that sentence from Batman; "Chaotic. Insane. Beautiful." It's lines like that which go a long damn way toward redeeming recent Batman depictions for me, the simplest, smallest, pithiest of phrases instantly illuminating entire aspects of why in the hell anyone would be in Gotham City.

And speaking of illumination ... I was thinking sunrise in Gotham for Bruce when Dick contacted him was fun symbolism, but quick thinking, it's totally sunset, and totally accurate. At 10:48 in England, it's 5:48 on the U.S. East Coast. Sunset. Bruce is just getting ready for his nightly face-busting patrol when Grayson contacts him.

Oh, and Deathstroke nod is cute. And works even if it's not foreshadowing. But come on, that's totally foreshadowing.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 08-04-2014 at 08:06 PM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Great preview, I'm excited for issue #2! The "Cycles of Violence" are completely ridiculous in the very best of ways -- like an early Batman villain. The conversation between Dick and Batman was bittersweet.

Midnighter sounds more like himself than he has for a while. I'm very interested to see where they go with this "Garden" concept.

Plus, everyone looks so damned pretty!