Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Mostly likely McLeod googled Brazilian male models instead of reading the old books.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

McLeod was googling models and "changing" Sunspot's hair when he created him in 1982?

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    I don’t think it’s that controversial. He said Roberto shouldn’t just look African-American, which of course he isn’t cos he’s Brazilian. I’m sure the intent was that he’d have dark skin with wavy hair to suggest his mixed heritage.
    That's what I read. Just to signal "Hey, he's from another country." He still obviously had black features, but his hair was different from say, Luke Cage, just to show he's from another place

Anyway, I guess the original design doesnt matter anymore since they just completely changed how he looks now

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    McLeod was googling models and "changing" Sunspot's hair when he created him in 1982?
    OK so I may have mistaked McLeod for one of the more recent artists.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    I don’t think it’s that controversial. He said Roberto shouldn’t just look African-American, which of course he isn’t cos he’s Brazilian. I’m sure the intent was that he’d have dark skin with wavy hair to suggest his mixed heritage.
    Just people looking for problematization where it doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Unless it's a villain, nobody of color gets to have kinky hair -it's either wavy or straight.

I'm sorry that's just....not true. Blade, Luke Cage, Misty Knight, BIshop, Riri, Monica RAmbeau, Falcon..

I'll agree with you on the women at least, though. It does feel like artists don't know how to give them kinky hair and just default to straight hair...

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graphicisnovel View Post
    I'm sorry that's just....not true. Blade, Luke Cage, Misty Knight, BIshop, Riri, Monica RAmbeau, Falcon..

I'll agree with you on the women at least, though. It does feel like artists don't know how to give them kinky hair and just default to straight hair...
    I mean in the X-franchise. Outside of the X-Office, things seemed to be handled better, still flawed but better. There's more characters of color outside of the X-Office too.

But as stated, men vs. women are different. You'll see a black man depicted with full features & kinky hair before a woman. And that's because women are valued more for their looks and sex appeal to the male audience. So it's imperative they not be "too black" because it's not a style most straight white males will find attractive.

The old Disney show Gargoyles obviousness with it. Elisa was mixed African & Native American. But looking, there's nothing black about her. Until I saw her brother I thought she was a tan white woman. lol

But then you see her brother.

Sunspot is a rare male example though. Monet is more typical.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ButNotTooBlack
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 08-13-2019 at 07:26 AM.

oh yeah, no one can argue against dark skinned women being swept aside. In movies the love interest is always lighter than the male.

I read once “Females carry the marks, language and nuances of their culture more than the male. Anything that is desired or despised is always placed on the female body" (Wangechi Mutu) Okay i'lll stop now it's off topic

Mighty Member

His comments were ignorant.

First off, Black people have varying complexions and hair textures. You can have a Black person with two black parents who is a lot lighter than someone with a white and Black parent.
    Second, Brazilian is a nationality, not a racial category. African American is an ethnic group within the US of Black people who are the ancestors of enslaved people. The conflation between Race, ethnicity, and nationality is troubling.
    Third, a real-life example of Sunspot background would be Alfred Enoch. He has a white father and an Afro Brazillian mother.
    Fourth, did he not read Chris Clarmont's story. He was being harassed for being Black.
    This is why we need a diverse team of writers and artists in the comic book industry.

Mighty Member

because they cant draw Black people. If the artist cant draw them, they should learn how to or they could hire a more diverse pool of artist. The DC Comic naomi has great art. Her hair looks superb.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    I mean in the X-franchise. Outside of the X-Office, things seemed to be handled better, still flawed but better. There's more characters of color outside of the X-Office too.

But as stated, men vs. women are different. You'll see a black man depicted with full features & kinky hair before a woman. And that's because women are valued more for their looks and sex appeal to the male audience. So it's imperative they not be "too black" because it's not a style most straight white males will find attractive.

The old Disney show Gargoyles obviousness with it. Elisa was mixed African & Native American. But looking, there's nothing black about her. Until I saw her brother I thought she was a tan white woman. lol

But then you see her brother.

Sunspot is a rare male example though. Monet is more typical.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ButNotTooBlack
    This reminds me when I learned the character Voodoo form wildcats was suppose to be a Black woman.. I was like I never saw her as a Black woman when reading the first run of wildcats.

I always thought Monet was supposed to be Berber Algerian, so then she would have straighter hair and lighter skin than many other African ethnicities. I guess you can say though that there’s been a lot more of creators not designing characters with full Afro features (so to speak) - whether it’s Roberto seeming to be based on Pele, but a wealthy, mixed race version, Storm’s blue eyes and wavy hair, or Bishop turning out to be Australian Aboriginal for some reason.

Oh, and Blink being pink with straight hair too.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 08-13-2019 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    The conflation between Race, ethnicity, and nationality is troubling.
    I just feel like some of these reactions are being a bit unfair to the artist. He did not conflate race and nationality, he stated them both independently. And then you yourself proceeded to give an example, and the person is not himself Brazilian - is British. So you just lumped nationality and looks into one, as well.

Nationality does affect appearance and hair, through customs. Alfred Enoch may not necessarily be a faithful representation of black Brazilian. (In my opinion, he is not) Side note, google brazilian black and get pictures of spiders :/

Mighty Member

I just feel like some of these reactions are being a bit unfair to the artist. He did not conflate race and nationality, he stated them both independently. And then you yourself proceeded to give an example, and the person is not himself Brazilian - is British. So you just lumped nationality and looks into one, as well.

Nationality does affect appearance and hair, through customs. Alfred Enoch may not necessarily be a faithful representation of black Brazilian. (In my opinion, he is not) Side note, google brazilian black and get pictures of spiders :/
    Enoch is Brazilian or does his mother not count. I mean Sunspots mother is American and his father is Brazilian. Can not be considered both since folks are quick to call him mixed? ENoch speaks Portuguese.

Mighty Member

how does it impact hair? Explain this.. how does nationality impact the way the hair grows out of my scalp?