Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sometimes really popular characters become "Cool" to hate on. Like Wolverine was the biggest thing in comics and then he became so mainstream and popular that liking him became uncool. Yes marvel overused him by putting him in 20 books at the same time. But alot of the hate was directed towards him as a character.

James foster Thor aswell. Everyone got upset with this diversity push with legacy characters. But Jane Fosters Thor was cool af and Jason Aarom wrote an interesting story around it(Didnt read it till recently)
    Now I never read anything with Riri William's or the other characters people hated so I cant comment on them.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 08-25-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Multi-faceted is NOT a qualification to MOST of the reactions over feelings about the character. Keep it real, PLEN-TY of ACTUAL cats who hold those exclusional views were not trolls and sang the same song and honestly what dimension or angle, over a goddamnned Disney movie, was not seen through and lump into the troll pot? Give me one.

Did the vibe of the promotion LIVE up to all the bitching about the movie in the end? I haven't seen it, she came out of the sky in Endgame and then showed up at the end with a different haircut and I just had to roll with it. How extreme was the film's agenda overall and how pertinent was the gap between the offensive promotion and what actually transpired?

Again, perspective, I too am rational and I have no fear of being shouted down or lumped in a hated group, if I have an actual REAL perspective. Not a perception. What corporate entity do you think sits around and claims victory that their 'fans' kept somebody quiet? Legit criticism is in short supply these days, especially when one claims ALL TROLLS OF ALL COLORS CAME TOGETHER TO AIR SOME GRIEVANCE... for a movie that hadn't even came out. Maybe an actual rational person doesn't second guess themselves for 'fear' of whatever interwebz reprisal is being promoted.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I never hated Jar Jar Binks. His character wasn't really necessary, but he didn't ruin STAR WARS for me.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Ultimate Member

One thing I liked about Felicity was that her being snarked on by Caitlin, over on The Flash, was some of my favorite showings from that character, since it showed more personality than she seemed to ever be allowed by the writing, otherwise. It's kind of a backhanded compliment, but I loved how she elicited that sort of eye-rolling behavior from a peer, suggesting that even some of the WB writers were aware that she could be a little much, or that not everyone was a fan of her quirkiness.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I like Felicity more than I do Iris on Flash. That character just grates on me. At least Felicity has the computer skills to help Green Arrow out. All Iris does is boss people around even though she brings nothing to the team except being the love interest, and the more they try to make he more important the dumber the show gets.
    Yeah, this also is true. Iris is way more annoyingly written than Felicity. (And I kind of like Felicity. About the only Arrow regular I disliked was Ollie's son, William, although I perversely liked the grown-up version in the future, so I may have just not liked the role the kid was stuck with.)

Still, many shows seem to have someone I don't like. And it doesn't have to be a woman, on Supergirl, it's James Olsen (although I liked him better when he was actively doing the Guardian thing). Nor does it have to be a minority, on Buffy, it was Spike, who's about as 'white dude' as it gets.

Some characters just don't seem to 'flow' with the narrative. William (on Arrow) seemed to be actively standing in the way of Oliver being the Arrow, and Oliver being the Arrow is why I watch the darn show. Iris (on the Flash) isn't actively holding Barry back, but isn't as well integrated into the show as the Star Labs crew, or her father the policeman (and, when she was reporting on the Flash's activities, even sometimes had conflicting goals), and it seems the writers keep finding kludgy and unsatisfying ways of getting her into the narrrative. I think that 'friction' is part of what makes these characters unlikable to me, because they are not adequately serving the hero's story, and ways have to be written to get them involved in said story, since they aren't as 'organically' built into the story.

Mon-El on Supergirl got a lot more hate than he deserved. I think a lot of it was from the SuperCorp shippers that fantasized about there being some sort of lesbian romance going on between Kara Danvers and Lena Luthor
    and they would have hated any male character that got in the way of that. Some even made the ridiculous claim that there was no chemistry between the characters. Never mind the fact that Melissa Benoist and Chris Wood
    were dating in real life and are now engaged. But all people could see in Mon-El was the party frat boy whose family owned slaves instead of the man he was trying to become. There seemed to be a little less hate in season 3.
    But I kind of wonder if all the negative response to Mon-El was the reason he was written out at the end of season 3.

Incredible Member

I don't like Felicity nor Iris, and I believe Felicity made more damage to Arrow than Iris to The Flash; however, I would never deny how important is Felicity to Team Arrow, and it's the reason of why I tolerate her. By the other hand, Iris is only a part of Team Flash because she was Barry's crush (or his adoptive sister/Joe's daughter), then his fiancee, and now his wife. She doesn't contribute anything to the team, and there's no reason of why they would make her their leader.

I loved Mon-El, I liked his relationship with Kara and its development: they didn't like each other at the beginning, then he was impressed by how kind and brave Kara was and he tried to be a hero in order to got her attention, but then he really tried to be a better man because he wanted to be better. She inspired him to be a good person, that's the whole Supes' idea. And Kara was never overshadowed by him on fights because....he was really weak. That's what I liked more about him on S3, he was a better figher, had more skills and was more mature.

Ewoks from Return of the Jedi come to my mind. Okay they were made to sell toys. To see the mighty empire fall before teddy bears might be underwhelming. But i enjoy the film very much. Some of my favorite parts from that film involve them. Like the group being caught. And C-3PO telling stories as if the previous films have become legends.

Do they deserve the hatred? I don't think so. Star Wars always had a 'childish' tone imo. Plus, Ewoks were pretty hardcore. They were man-eating creatures. And history is filled with examples of inferior armies bringing down their far superior counterparts.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 08-24-2019 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I never hated Jar Jar Binks. His character wasn't really necessary, but he didn't ruin STAR WARS for me.

Now this i would disagree with. Lol. Personal opinions may vary. But i can totally see why Jar Jar is hated. I don't like the character at all. There is no redeeming characteristic of that menace.

Retired

A lot of this comes down to budget--at least for the CW shows. It costs money to build sets and hire extras, if Iris is working at Picture News. It costs no money if Iris is at STAR Labs, because the set is already built and the actors are already there. Whenever they have to do a story about Iris as a reporter, that's money and shooting time that has to be devoted to her character rather than the rest of the cast and their stories. It's just easier to conflate her story with theirs. This is probably why they changed the original idea for Iris and Joe in the first place--for economy of story telling and budget. If Joe and Iris are in the same house with Barry, that reduces a lot of money for their home setting and makes it easier to have the characters together rather than trying to plot that out by other means.

I imagine a lot of other annoying creative decisions for the Arrowverse come from budget constraints and the economy of story telling. Emily Bett Rickards was probably not demanding as high a paycheque as an established actor like Katie Cassidy. It was easier to kill off Laurel Lance and keep Felicity--thus saving the money needed for Black Canary so they could spend it elsewhere. The line producer is probably working out all the math that leads to these tough creative decisions determining what we get.

Incredible Member

The Arrowverse is a universe of great well wishing and great actors being hampered by bad soap opera writing.

The exception is Legends of Tomarrow whose zanyness crossed with the actors has become the single best show of the bunch, even when they are doing stuff that normally annoys me.

But time to poke the bear

The tv show preacher has a great cast and really feels like it's hitting its stride this season, but people talk about it and the actors like they have an std.

I think they gave Jesse and Tulip actual personalities unlike the comics.

Cassidy steals the show on a regular basis and has become one of my favorite vampires of all time. More importantly, they got rid of the worst parts of his character from the comics so you can root for him, despite his flaws.

Hitler being in charge of hell now is awesome and surprisingly organic in setup.

The Saint of Killers has an old School Undertaker vibe and it has made him frieking amazing.

The Grail is such a mix of stupid bureaucracy and evil intentions that they have become entertaining without any of the main cast on stage.

and their use of the absurdity with the macabre has given me hours of entertainment.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Ewoks from Return of the Jedi come to my mind. Okay they were made to sell toys. To see the mighty empire fall before teddy bears might be underwhelming. But i enjoy the film very much. Some of my favorite parts from that film involve them. Like the group being caught. And C-3PO telling stories as if the previous films have become legends.

Do they deserve the hatred? I don't think so. Star Wars always had a 'childish' tone imo. Plus, Ewoks were pretty hardcore. They were man-eating creatures. And history is filled with examples of inferior armies bringing down their far superior counterparts.
    Wasn't the original plan to set the final battle on the Wookies homeworld and have them fighting the Empire instead of the Ewoks?

Wasn't the original plan to set the final battle on the Wookies homeworld and have them fighting the Empire instead of the Ewoks?
    Yes i have heard of that. Wookies would have been way cooler. I think that contributes to the reason why people don't like Ewoks.

Yup. It was supposed to be Wookiees. The legend is, and I want to say Lucas himself has confirmed it at some point but I can't recall anymore, was that being that he had become a dad by this time, when ROTJ rolled around he wanted something cute for his daughter to enjoy.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-25-2019 at 12:17 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post

I agree with this.