Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    231

    Default Do certain characters get more hate than they deserve?

    This thread is inspired by an article on Felicity from Arrow, talking how she is more hated than she deserved. She is certainly one of the more divisive characters on television. This made me wonder, however, if there are characters that don't really deserve all of the backlash that they get, and why they do get it anyway.

    Here is the article: https://www.cbr.com/arrow-felicity-doesnt-deserve-hate/

  2. #2
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    804

    Default

    The hate for Felicity is well deserved actually she should have more.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    The hate for Felicity is well deserved actually she should have more.
    I disagree totally. There should be no hate for Felicity.

    Why do characters who don't deserve hate, get it anyway? There are a lot of idiots on the internet. (Just my opinion, of course.)
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with those two other guys)
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Why do characters who don't deserve hate, get it anyway? There are a lot of idiots on the internet.
    It looks like you answered your own question.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  5. #5
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,328

    Default

    I dunno... hatred for a fictional character doesn't just come from nowhere... just look at Sasuke Uchiha. I'm pretty sure his character was more popular, and less hated, in Japan than in the United States. however, there were cultural reasons for that... because most people in the US that read "Naruto" hated this guy's guts... and for good reason.

    never watched CW's Arrow... because CW shows, as a general rule, make my skin crawl. if that many people hate Felicity so much... there's got to be a reason for it.

  6. #6
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I disagree totally. There should be no hate for Felicity.

    Why do characters who don't deserve hate, get it anyway? There are a lot of idiots on the internet. (Just my opinion, of course.)

    And you are totally wrong. Felicity threw one of her tantrums the episode before I saw Batman vs Superman, it made that movie seem good in comparison.

  7. #7
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,172

    Default

    Captain Marvel and Batwoman are getting a lot of hate for no other reason than they seem to be offending certain fragile male egos.

  8. #8
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,923

    Default

    It's a vast community of people who inhabit the entire political spectrum, who come from every culture and every orientation. So you can't point to one person and say that represents everyone who is complaining.

    To me there are legitimate reasons to complain about Felicity and Captain Marvel. Yet if you want to deflect those complaints, it's very easy to point to the most whackadoodle complainers and act like they represent the entire group. Then Berlanti or Disney don't have to take any of the complaints seriously. And mainstream news outlets, for fear of supporting wingnuts, fall in line and play along with this deflection.

    But maybe those concerned fans, that actually love the content, are trying to tell the producers something and help them understand how to handle these characters better.

    Felicity was a much beloved character when she first appeared--and the reason some people were complaining about her was because the writers botched her character. They wanted the writers to get back on the right track. Of course, it also has to be said that there was a loud contingent of Olicity shippers who ate it up like cake--so it makes sense that the producers didn't know who to believe. But the fourth season is pretty bad--and you'd think the writers could have seen the error of their ways.

    Captain Marvel's feminist marketing agenda was played in such a tone-deaf way that even people who support those issues felt like they were being talked down to. Disney was making out that this was some serious political statement, when they were just trying to get more butts in seats. It's the hypocrisy of Disney that upset a lot of folks. Yet Disney could point toward the most misogynistic pundits as if they were the majority. And then Disney didn't have to answer for their outlandish marketing campaign.

    I have no idea why people are complaining about Batwoman. That doesn't seem right to me. Yet, given the examples of Felicity and Captain Marvel, I'm not ready to assume that everyone out there can be lumped into the same group and should be denounced.
    celebrating 50 years of 4 beatles crossing a zebra

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    4,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Captain Marvel and Batwoman are getting a lot of hate for no other reason than they seem to be offending certain fragile male egos.
    Can't speak to Captain Marvel, as I haven't seen it (though I have seen in depth reviews that aren't bashing for the sake of it, for what its worth), but I can second the Batwoman part. Even saw a few petty fanfics bashing on Batwoman after the initial trailer dropped.

  10. #10
    Lover of Wonderful Things FutureWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Themyscira, Talok VIII
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I never understood the hatred that Silverclaw got back in the day or the hatred that America Chavez gets nowadays. Coincidentally, both happen to be Hispanic superheroines. However, I don't remember Firebird or Arana (Hispanic also both of them) having so many detractors. What gives?

  11. #11
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    The hate for Felicity is well deserved actually she should have more.
    I like Felicity more than I do Iris on Flash. That character just grates on me. At least Felicity has the computer skills to help Green Arrow out. All Isis does is boss people around even though she brings nothing to the team except being the love interest, and the more they try to make he more important the dumber the show gets.

  12. #12
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    I never understood the hatred that Silverclaw got back in the day or the hatred that America Chavez gets nowadays. Coincidentally, both happen to be Hispanic superheroines. However, I don't remember Firebird or Arana (Hispanic also both of them) having so many detractors. What gives?
    No one hated MAC until the most recent solo writer.

    It was more hate towards that writer than it was MAC. No one cared about her much on Young Avengers or Ultimates.
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,210

    Default

    Pretty much all of them - because there are always going to be crybabies.

  14. #14
    New old guy Surf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    To me there are legitimate reasons to complain about Felicity and Captain Marvel. Yet if you want to deflect those complaints, it's very easy to point to the most whackadoodle complainers and act like they represent the entire group. Then Berlanti or Disney don't have to take any of the complaints seriously. And mainstream news outlets, for fear of supporting wingnuts, fall in line and play along with this deflection.
    Damn. That's A LOT of assumption, planning, effort and foresight to put on an entertainment commodity as fact, or at the very least a legitimate stance. I don't know anything about a 'mainstream news outlet' treating the Felicity character any kind of way. I don't watch E! or any entertainment centered show on broadcast TV so maybe that's where that comes from?

    I can say that I watched Arrow from the jump, so a major difference between legitimate reasons to complain about Felicity AND Captain Marvel was that- the perceived issues came at Captain Marvel before it premiered.

    Again Felicity was an oddity from the get-go and proceeded to grow as an irritant. She just happened to be kinda cute and blonde, which, I guess in my mind, was enough to justify her staunch defense by the shippers? Much agree that the writers wrote her a certain way that was overwhelmingly unbearable. A character with a child-like temperament, yet on the other side brilliantly cognizant technically and at the same time filled with enough snark and quick wit to instantly have an answer at the ready for everything, all the time. That was a lot even for the CW. Network characters are not written that way or at the very least, made to exist in the cape live-action space as it were. Even if it's on a show where the main character solves his problems with a quiver on his back.

    However perspective is usually missing in these arguments. As a black dude, I didn't get the overtly feminist marketing that largely other not black folks seemed to pick-up on real tough. Even my own brother-in-law, who also is black and has 3 daughters didn't see things as I did. He went on about a feminist agenda- sight unseen as well and he couldn't get past that. I kept saying "dude, the fuckin' movie isn't even out yet! lol, where are you getting this from?". AS I SAW it she was an infallible blonde, like her male blonde counterparts in everymovie ever, including one Felicity Smoake. Only thing was Captain Marvel HADN'T EVEN came out and people on the interwebz were up in arms. I even told my brother-in-law, and mind you he works in comics, Supergirl's agendas hits you in the face week after week, yet you don't get up about THAT as much??? Comic dorks seem to be confused that Carol HAS ALWAYS BEEN SUPERBLONDE SOLVE IT ALL WOMAN, I don't think I'm wrong there. WTF, she's taken on several identities and she's just been stronger every time and that's in the comic sooo...



    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    a vast community of people who inhabit the entire political spectrum, who come from every culture and every orientation. So you can't point to one person and say that represents everyone who is complaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    But maybe those concerned fans, that actually love the content, are trying to tell the producers something and help them understand how to handle these characters better.

    I will say this, since you mentioned people on a political specturm and a vast community of people in the same post with whackadoodle complainers. Replace 'fans' with American's and 'actual love of content' with love of country and you get a entire historic context of Bible thumpers who burned crosses and posed with pictures of men and their families at the business end of nooses on Saturday and in a church on Sunday. Amongst other extremely biased and destructive behaviors in the name of country, they they procreated. Fwiw I don't what you level of 'whackadoodle' mileage you gauge but people with irrational and even sometimes rational 'loves' for certain ideals they feel are expressed to them, tend to begin their life's works of exclusion in similar ways if you know what I mean.

    So yes, I dislike Felicity, among other issues with that show but nah, not really in regards to Carol. If you hate both with the power of a 1000 suns then one might could think that comes from a bleaker place knowwhatimsayin.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

  15. #15
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    11,923

    Default

    The big stink about CAPTAIN MARVEL happened before the movie came out, so no one really knew what was in the movie and didn't have anything of substance to complain about. The complaints were about how the movie was being promoted, what Brie Larson was saying and what the trailers were showing. The people I saw commenting on this were on a broad political spectrum--everyone from the far right to the far left--all from different walks of life, different orientations, different genders.

    Yet Disney pigeon-holed that multi-faceted reaction as being from a small group of women-hating trolls. And when this was commented on by the big comic book/entertainment news sites, they used the same talking points that Disney had put out there and none of them seemed to stand up for the rights of people to have a diversity of opinion. They just accepted that it's trolls and didn't go beyond that in their journalism.

    I didn't care about Captain Marvel (either way), but I did care about the way that everyone who happened to be against the movie was put into this corner, where they all had to be trolls.

    As there are trolls--on every side--it's very easy for a company to just blame every bad thing on trolls. The troll then becomes the face of any negative reaction that a company wants to quash. And they never have to respond to legitimate criticism. Any rational person who wants to comment has to second-guess themselves for fear of being lumped into that hated group. And soon the company doesn't need to say anything, because their fans will do the policing for them--shouting down anyone who happens to have a contrary opinion.
    celebrating 50 years of 4 beatles crossing a zebra

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •