Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

No I like Ewing a lot so I'd prefer he stick to titles I'd actually read, meaning non-Xbooks
    The J-man

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

As long as Coates doesn't get X-Men, I'll live.
    "Cable was right!"

As long as Rosenberg and Coates don't get anything, I'll live.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Would his Avengers or his X-Men manage to sell if he doesn't do "all stars" teams?

I mean, he would probably have to include characters like Wolverine or Iron Man no matter what, but how many C-listers could he have on those teams without tanking the sales?
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Spencer was really spearheading the Marvel Universe period.

Ewing would probably do a more "interesting" roster then we get for Aaron's run. There'd probably be a few expected members but probably some surprises.

Snyder with Marvel would be so hilarious. Like, I can kind of imagine it, but at the same time can't .
    Gods have mercy, it would be pages upon pages of long winded soliloquies with text boxes covering everything

Am i the only one that thinks Al Ewing is still learning his trade and SHOULD NOT be rushed onto high profile books?
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Am i the only one that thinks Al Ewing is still learning his trade and SHOULD NOT be rushed onto high profile books?
    What trade does he need to learn? He's been pretty established and has a clear voice for years now. It's not like he's just writing Loki books now.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

I agree that he shouldn't have another big name book because he's already on IH and Valkyrie, but he's been writing comics for years. Especially before Marvel.

BANNED

I really hope you are

BANNED

Chris Claremont was 25 when he took over X-Men and had done Iron Fist and some other stuff before that.

Gerry Conway worked on Ka-Zar and other minor anthology books before he did Amazing Spider-Man at the age of 19.

Bendis did some indie comics and then an AU title like Ultimate Spider-Man and Alias for the MAX imprint before he did New Avengers.

Matt Fraction, according to himself, got the gig on Iron Man in part because of his Annual issue for Sensational Spider-Man.

I'd say by that metric, Al Ewing has earned his stripes, several times over. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    I agree that he shouldn't have another big name book because he's already on IH and Valkyrie, but he's been writing comics for years. Especially before Marvel.
    He is still relatively new to the game. For me he is not the best choice for a major project. I don’t want to go into all the negative issues I see in his work because he is clearly improving, but he’s not the finished article in my book. Marvel are guiding him up the ladder but there is no need to rush him.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Chris Claremont was 25 when he took over X-Men and had done Iron Fist and some other stuff before that.

Gerry Conway worked on Ka-Zar and other minor anthology books before he did Amazing Spider-Man at the age of 19.

Bendis did some indie comics and then an AU title like Ultimate Spider-Man and Alias for the MAX imprint before he did New Avengers.

Matt Fraction, according to himself, got the gig on Iron Man in part because of his Annual issue for Sensational Spider-Man.

I'd say by that metric, Al Ewing has earned his stripes, several times over. But that's just me.
    By that metric we should get someone off the street to write X-Men. They chose Hickman for a reason. Maybe by the time he is finished Ewing will be ready. Maybe a new talent will wow us all and do the job. I am only going on what I see in Ewing’s work and I don’t think he’s ready.

BANNED

By that metric we should get someone off the street to write X-Men. They chose Hickman for a reason. Maybe by the time he is finished Ewing will be ready. Maybe a new talent will wow us all and do the job. I am only going on what I see in Ewing’s work and I don’t think he’s ready.
    None of those ppl he listed came off the street

They did stuff before, Just not super big

Hulk is one of the best comics out right now

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah Ewing has been consistently writing nice but low key titles for seven years at Marvel , frequently team books. And he wasn't "off the street" before that. I can see that the higher ups are keen on him and I do think in some ways he's like a Gillen or Carey... but he's also like Jeff Parker. Parker was great at Marvel but not really a "high stakes" oriented writer and didn't really get a major flagship like Uncanny X-Men or Avengers. I'd rather they work up another X title and let him write not just to hit top 5 every month. Or Avengers because I am not feeling them currently.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
    None of those ppl he listed came off the street
    Not my point.

Hulk is one of the best comics out right now
    Many seem to agree. I think it was OK but I dropped it when it drifted away from what I want from a comic. Hulk hasn’t been a high profile book for decades and he has clearly done a good job to lift it up there.

Like I say, I am not going to slag him off, I am not going to list all the reasons I have only enjoyed a fraction of his output and taken a dislike to many more. He just isn’t a big hitter in my book.