Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Good news, it seems we might be getting that Genndy Tartakovsky Popeye movie after all.

https://www.slashfilm.com/genndy-tar...-popeye-movie/

Update: This will not be a Sony Pictures Animation project, so it seems as if the project might need to be reworked from the ground up.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Fingers crossed. Feels like a perfect pairing of creator and character.

King Feature's Comic Kingdom site uploaded a blog that was basically a reprint of the 1931 Popeye's Life Story prose, which was panels illustrated as if they were newspaper articles detailing Popeye's life story before his first appearance in Thimble Theatre, providing information of the character's youth, being raised by a lesser known character named Whaler Joe and how he started his life as a sailor.

https://www.comicskingdom.com/trendi...life-of-popeye

Randy Milholland who does the strips for the Popeye Cartoon Club recently did a strip providing the first physical appearance for Whaler Joe.

https://www.comicskingdom.com/popeye...lub/2020-07-02
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    At least the strips are officially available unlike titles like Joe Palooka, which has fallen into public domain and only strips from the 30s, 40s and 50s as well as the Harvey comics can be found online while the 60s, 70s and 80s strips are extremely hard to find and cost quite much to get from Ebay.

That's correct, The Wedding Of Popeye And Olive, the third and final Popeye comic from the short lived Ocean Comics but is the only one not easily available.

Really? I think I have 3 copies.

This is sweet and heartwarming.

https://www.comicskingdom.com/popeyes-cartoon-club

This might be Randy Milholland's last strip. If you liked his run try letting King Features know by using their contact:

https://kingfeatures.atlassian.net/s...tomer/portal/9

Yeah, I'm chilling for Randy because I really liked his strips and are much better than the random modern gag strips published on the main Popeye strip in between the more superior classic strips.

Amazing Member

I decided that when I drew a cartoon, facial expressions and hand positions (gesturing) conveyed almost 90% of what I like to see play out in cartoon artwork.
    The writing on that cartoon is fine, but the facial expressions are stripped down and generic.
    In my opinion, the faces don't look like Popeye and Olive. It looks like cartoon cosplay.
    It's not bad, it's just not the characters I grew up liking.

Quote Originally Posted by NaCl View Post
    I decided that when I drew a cartoon, facial expressions and hand positions (gesturing) conveyed almost 90% of what I like to see play out in cartoon artwork.
    The writing on that cartoon is fine, but the facial expressions are stripped down and generic.
    In my opinion, the faces don't look like Popeye and Olive. It looks like cartoon cosplay.
    It's not bad, it's just not the characters I grew up liking.
    I disagree, I think his strips capture the characters well and is obvious of how much he loves the lore even referencing characters and events many don't know about and I like his art, it's different but still feel like the characters.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I disagree, I think his strips capture the characters well and is obvious of how much he loves the lore even referencing characters and events many don't know about and I like his art, it's different but still feel like the characters.

That's fine. We can disagree. I'm a big fan of the early black & white Popeye animation. To me the character doesn't translate well to a 4 panel strip. I'm glad people like it and are able to see new adventures with a character they appreciate.

All-New Member

Hi everyone!

I wonder if someone could kindly help me here. We have a discussion on an Italian forum about how this strip was translated:

In the third panel Swee'Pea uses an Italian very, very derogatory offensive term for "homosexual" ("frocio" - it's very offensive, don't use it). So we wondered what term he had used in the original strip. Do anyone have the original strip and kindly tell me what word he used?

Thanks!

^ Don't know the original, but I bet the word was "sissy," which can mean male homosexual or weakling/coward or both. Basically, it's a word that challenges someone's manhood or machismo. No one wants to be a sissy, even if you were a kid who didn't know what the word fully implied. Used to be in widespread use. Still kind of a slur, but widely accepted language everywhere once upon a time.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^ Don't know the original, but I bet the word was "sissy," which can mean male homosexual or weakling/coward or both. Basically, it's a word that challenges someone's manhood or machismo. No one wants to be a sissy, even if you were a kid who didn't know what the word fully implied. Used to be in widespread use. Still kind of a slur, but widely accepted language everywhere once upon a time.
    Thank you! The problem is that in the translation they used a very derogatory slur for gay people (probably the most similar term in English would be the fa-word).
    Last edited by Zaku; 09-16-2020 at 02:57 PM.