Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

In any event, at the risk of sounding like I have too many pairs of rose-colored glasses and/or being accused of denying the world's problems, I'll say that I miss when comics like Secret Wars showed more that, despite all the disagreements, shortcomings, and antagonism involved in the humans/mutates' relation with the mutants/X-Men, they're still able to reasonably communicate and cooperate towards a greater good.

I don't know, some may call it unrealistic, overly-optimistic, or just a flat out joke, and perhaps it can indeed be worded better, but if you ask me, I don't think there's anything wrong with finding and embracing at least a little bit of that hopeful light even in the middle of that destructive darkness, having one's heart in the right place while actively working towards a solution, even if there isn't one close in sight. It just feels more... nuanced and human that way.

Last edited by Electricmastro; 08-19-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uebersoldat View Post
    I hope you do some research and reconsider your stance here using critical thinking and wisdom...for a better future for all of us.
    I live in Portland. Antifa was there to stop the Proud Boys from wrecking the city on Saturday. They stopped the Proud Boys from attacking in San Francisco on the anniversary of the death of Harvey Milk.

I know exactly what Antifa is: Anti-Fascist. I don't listen to propaganda, peddled by people like professional victims Andy Ngo and Ben Shapiro that they're the evil ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Yep, "the ends justifying the means" can very much be a dangerous game.

this is hilarious
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

*glances in, sees someone peddling "alt right" junk about Antifa*

What the actual hell?
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    I live in Portland. Antifa was there to stop the Proud Boys from wrecking the city on Saturday. They stopped the Proud Boys from attacking in San Francisco on the anniversary of the death of Harvey Milk.

I know exactly what Antifa is: Anti-Fascist. I don't listen to propaganda, peddled by people like professional victims Andy Ngo and Ben Shapiro that they're the evil ones.
    The Proud Boys are pretty damn bad but if the plan was to prevent them from f*cking up Portland by f*cking it up themselves, you need to tell your boys to get their act together.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The Proud Boys are pretty damn bad but if the plan was to prevent them from f*cking up Portland by f*cking it up themselves, you need to tell your boys to get their act together.
    There was almost zero damage to the city at all. The one big disturbance happened when the Proud Boys attacked a group of Antifa members with a bus and a hammer, then started whining when the Antifa members retaliated.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Anyway, if X-Men Red wasn’t so centrist and had ooga booga mind control be the end-all be-all for all the racism they faced over the series, it could’ve illustrated a great look at modern-day bigotry. Especially because it was literally pulling from headlines.

There was almost zero damage to the city at all. The one big disturbance happened when the Proud Boys attacked a group of Antifa members with a bus and a hammer, then started whining when the Antifa members retaliated.
    Pretty much standard for them. Proud Boys or whatever group of pathetic bigots is there starts the fight, gets their asses kicked, then runs and cries that the people defending themselves and their communities were violent.

People see what we want to see I guess, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    In any event, at the risk of sounding like I have too many pairs of rose-colored glasses and/or being accused of denying the world's problems, I'll say that I miss when comics like Secret Wars showed more that, despite all the disagreements, shortcomings, and antagonism involved in the humans/mutates' relation with the mutants/X-Men, they're still able to reasonably communicate and cooperate towards a greater good.

I don't know, some may call it unrealistic, overly-optimistic, or just a flat out joke, and perhaps it can indeed be worded better, but if you ask me, I don't think there's anything wrong with finding and embracing at least a little bit of that hopeful light even in the middle of that destructive darkness, having one's heart in the right place while actively working towards a solution, even if there isn't one close in sight. It just feels more... nuanced and human that way.

I miss a bit of this idealistic way of thinking that was so common a long time before… It was more uplifting than this bleak cynism that has been considered so cool for many years now.

Hope, deceiving as it is, serves at least to lead us to the end of our lives by an agreeable route. F.d.l.R.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Yes, but you’re talking about real world humans. Black Americans were/are often forced to participate in white institutions, have their art and their bodies exploited and appropriated by whites. Mutants are a fictional race with godlike powers. They have the option to create their own government and culture separate from humans like we’re seeing with Hixmen. X-Men in 2019 should be radical and extremist. An existential threat to the human status quo. None of that ‘Hey man, let’s just get along and stuff because we’re all the same!’.
    I would think the better approach should be a reflection of reality where some will want integration and some will want isolation. It is odd to me that we tend to oscillate between these two extremes rather than more appropriately portray the complexity in that I expect different mutants will have different thoughts. And I don't mean the juxtaposition between Xavier and Magneto as that was always cast in many ways as right vs wrong or good vs evil because Magneto's stance was far too radical.

Antifa apologetics is extremely offensive. They are thugs, vandals and sow seeds of hatred.
    This is a rather odd position to take. I would think it natural for rational people to hate racism because racism is quite irrational. Further, I don't think it is apologetics to distinguish between racism and people that respond to racism. Racism has killed millions of people globally. I am unaware of a single person killed by antifa. So I think Huntsman is correct. There is no moral equivalence between those that practice racism and those that oppose racism. While the latter may end up engaging in violence, there is no comparison between Hitler and those that share his ideology wanting to gas Jews and people violently opposing that. Especially in the context of said violence paling in comparison to the widespread murder, genocide, torture, and oppression that racists have visited upon their victims.

Now I confess, I have not been keeping up with Antifa so if they are going around murdering people for shits and giggles then let me know and I will reconsider my opinion. Until then, this seems very similar to the whole, "there are good people on both sides," argument which is quite offensive in the context of the historical reality of suffering racists have wrought on their innocent victims relative to antifa's history.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

People see what we want to see I guess, sadly.
    I see White Supremacists shooting up an El Paso Wal-Mart.

I see them running over people with cars in Los Angeles and Charlottesville.

I see them chanting "Jews will not replace us" as they attack people.

I see White Supremacists killing 246 people over the last three years, according to the FBI. Over that time, Antifa has killed zero.

So you see what you want. I see the facts, and I see the fears of people being targeted. And I fail to see how resistance against these people makes them the bad guys.

And that will be my last post on the matter.

BANNED

I see White Supremacists killing 246 people over the last three years, according to the FBI. Over that time, Antifa has killed zero.

So you see what you want. I see the facts, and I see the fears of people being targeted. And I fail to see how resistance against these people makes them the bad guys.

Quoted For Truth!

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I miss a bit of this idealistic way of thinking that was so common a long time before… It was more uplifting than this bleak cynism that has been considered so cool for many years now.
    Glad to see a healthy, reasonable, helpful, and trustworthy ideal way of thinking where it's needed, especially in the midst of bleak cynicism!

You can't mention El Paso without also admitting the Dayton mass shooter associated himself with antifa. CNN: "In addition, a Twitter account that appears to belong to Betts retweeted extreme left-wing and anti-police posts, as well as tweets supporting Antifa, or anti-fascist, protesters."

You have just proven my point btw.

Sadly things will just continue to escalate and people right here in the open condone the actions of an increasingly violent group of thugs because they claim to be fighting against evil. In reality they are just angry mobs and evil begets evil.

EDIT: To illustrate a bit more comic-focused - I see it as the difference between modern extremist Cyclops and what he was willing to do vs the peaceful dream Xavier had before they shredded his credibility later on. I'm firmly with Xavier's dream here. Violence has no place in a modern society.
    Last edited by uebersoldat; 08-19-2019 at 02:51 PM.