Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And yet when people point out how anti-mutant bigotry in the Marvel universe makes no sense with other types of supers running around, we get told we're being silly.
    Well I don’t know about silly but I can see where people would have trouble understanding it. I think that’s the point. Idk if this helps at all but to me it’s the fact that they can be born of humans that causes this undo fear on the humans part. People who get their powers from spider bites, and space radiation, and other external sources are fine because they’re just “freaks” or “supes” of chance to them. They are regular people who happened to go through an external event and come out stronger/with powers. They are an underdog of sorts who you root for because they were once a “normal” person who made the best out of their situation. Mutant powers/“defects” come from within. That in and of itself is where the fear starts for humans because these people are born “different” from “normal” people and it seems like more and more are being born every day. It’s a biological fear, deep within humans of being replaced by their own progeny. Of being cursed with one of these “freak children” as opposed the little Bobby and Susie you wanted as offspring. Also of envy on some deep, subconscious level of not being born “special” too. So you hate. You hate what’s different. You hate what threatens to alter your way/perception of life. You hate what makes you feel innately “less than”. Just like in the real world people hate and fear what they don’t understand. It’s the same hate that causes parents to discard there own children when they build up the courage to come out to them. The same fear that causes a policeman with implicit bias to shoot a black man without proper cause. It’s irrational and nonsensical yes. But to me that’s exactly why it is relatable.

For example, seeing the Fantastic Four go into space on a mission as “normal” people and survive a bombardment of cosmic radiation is fantastical, wonderful even! That they could’ve gone through such an ordeal and survived much less to make the best of their “conditions” even using their “ailments” to save human lives! That poor Ben Grimm though, good for him for making the best of it. What a beautiful underdog story of human survival and perseverance, right? But very different from watching your 12 year old son grow a tail in front of your eyes. Much more palatable to watch from afar too.
    Last edited by Ororo101; 09-29-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

And yet when people point out how anti-mutant bigotry in the Marvel universe makes no sense with other types of supers running around, we get told we're being silly.
    I think this page from Marvels #2 (1994) pretty much sums it up:

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I think this page from Marvels #2 (1994) pretty much sums it up:

Never saw that before actually but bingo, right on the money.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    Never saw that before actually but bingo, right on the money.
    Yep, and writer Kurt Busiek explained in an annotation regarding Stan Lee and Jack Kirby showcasing the X-Men as a metaphor for the Jewish experience, including how anti-Semitism involves scapegoating such as conspiracy stories about Jews wanting to take over the world.

Last edited by Electricmastro; 09-29-2019 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Yep, and writer Kurt Busiek explained in an annotation regarding Stan Lee and Jack Kirby showcasing the X-Men as a metaphor for the Jewish experience, including how anti-Semitism involves scapegoating such as conspiracy stories about Jews wanting to take over the world.

Absolutely love this. Thank you so much for brining this article to my attention. Fascinating seeing how the building blocks of my favorite franchise came to fruition. It truly distinguishes the X-men from any other superhero mythology in my opinion.

You're kidding right?

Proteus, Apocalypse, Hellion, Legion, Magik, Iceman, Storm, Cyclops, Havok, Polaris, Magneto, Matthew Mallory, Sienna Blaze, the Summers-Grey children, Exodus, Jubilee (Emma's claims are to be believed), Vulcan, that kid from the Ultimate universe who had the uncontrollable ability to kill everyone around him and, oh yeah, Jean friggin Grey.

For characters that are supposed to be in the super rare category, the Marvel universe sure puts out a ridiculous amount of such mutants. Hell, it's telling how many fans argue that their faves should be Omega mutants.
    And that’s the point I’m trying to make. There are millions of mutants and hundreds that are being born all over the Marvel globe everyday. Yes, a handful are destructive and they are clearly recognized as such. But how does that measure up to the six million mutants on Genosha?

Also, Matthew Malloy doesn’t exist and that UU kid isn’t relevant to the 616 discussion.
    Last edited by Tycon; 09-29-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Enough bickering. Get back on topic please.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I know it's been discussed numerous times on this board about an "non X" book but I'd like to tweek that idea and have a book that doesn't follow the Xavier/Magneto dichotomy and focuses on soley/mainly non-white cast....it'd be cool/ interesting that now that Mutants have Krakoa... room to breathe/peace of mind. That their needs and wants become more specialized. I'd love to see statistics on the state of minorityMutants.... Mutants who still look like a real minority (no blue fur, green scales etc.) Maybe the reason there's just a couple of minority X-Men is...the suicide rate is higher in Gay/black/brown teen mutants than their Hetero White counterparts. And maybe some older Mutants who fall within those categories see Xavier's dream as too broad and kickstart a dream/plan for thriving within these pocket communities ie NAACP, GLAAD, LULAC, HBIC etc
    GrindrStone(D)

Emma was right

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    I was simply basing my responses off of what I’ve been given. Sorry if those assumptions were false. But the critique of bad trans rep and just...dunking on trans people for existing are two different things. If you care to rephrase what you had said in less vague terms, I’d be happy to say what I have to say without throwing falsities at you.
    Alright. But I think you've heard many times that some people don’t like when estabilished characters changes in some way, so I won’t say anything new or interesting. I have nothing against of changing orientation, unless it contradicts the character’s history. Therefore, I think that they could make Bobby bisexual instead of gay, given that he had many romances with women. Now these romances look like a lie and don't benefit the moral portrait of the character, although if this was the goal, then.. okay? As for a trans characters, I'm, of course, have nothing against them, but it must be a new character and not just a token. Kamala Khan has proven that new characters can also gain popularity and leading roles.
    As for metaphors, we live in a time when metaphors are no longer needed, when we talking about minorities. And authors can write about social problems in plain text without hiding. Therefore, I don't see any point in comparing mutants and minorities from real life. Perhaps this was once an idea, but now it has lost its relevance for the reason I mentioned. So for me X-men are comics about cool mutants and nothing more. If I want a story about the real world and real problems, then there are a bunch of books and films that cover these topics. And they do it a lot better than mainstream comics or Hollywood blockbusters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    And that’s the point I’m trying to make. There are millions of mutants and hundreds that are being born all over the Marvel globe everyday. Yes, a handful are destructive and they are clearly recognized as such. But how does that measure up to the six million mutants on Genosha?

Also, Matthew Malloy doesn’t exist and that UU kid isn’t relevant to the 616 discussion.
    UU kid? Who is UU?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamall View Post
    Alright. But I think you've heard many times that some people don’t like when estabilished characters changes in some way, so I won’t say anything new or interesting. I have nothing against of changing orientation, unless it contradicts the character’s history. Therefore, I think that they could make Bobby bisexual instead of gay, given that he had many romances with women. Now these romances look like a lie and don't benefit the moral portrait of the character, although if this was the goal, then.. okay? As for a trans characters, I'm, of course, have nothing against them, but it must be a new character and not just a token. Kamala Khan has proven that new characters can also gain popularity and leading roles.
    As for metaphors, we live in a time when metaphors are no longer needed, when we talking about minorities. And authors can write about social problems in plain text without hiding. Therefore, I don't see any point in comparing mutants and minorities from real life. Perhaps this was once an idea, but now it has lost its relevance for the reason I mentioned. So for me X-men are comics about cool mutants and nothing more. If I want a story about the real world and real problems, then there are a bunch of books and films that cover these topics. And they do it a lot better than mainstream comics or Hollywood blockbusters.
    Complete disagree. If the metaphor is too subtle, people accuse the writer of tokenism. If the metaphor is too strong, people accuse them of pushing an agenda.

And while that may be what YOU want, that has never, and hopefully will never, be in the intent for the X-books.

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    UU kid? Who is UU?
    Maybe referring to that Nü Inhuman Ulysses the one that predicts the future??
    GrindrStone(D)

Emma was right

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    If the metaphor is too subtle, people accuse the writer of tokenism. If the metaphor is too strong, people accuse them of pushing an agenda.
    So there is no winning in this game for some readers, they will be always offended by something. Sorry, but I see nothing wrong with writing about minorities without hiding behind metaphors. Since when it’s a bad thing? And certainly no one in a sane mind will call an interesting character a token.

Chill, MY terrifying thoughts have no influence on x-office.

Astonishing Member

The X-Men should be reflective of the climate of fear surrounding terrorism. Fans like to point out that the bigotry against mutants is laughable in a universe where people with superpowers are commonplace (I agree. But we have to bare in mind that we are talking about comics here.) The X-Men comics have always been reflective of the decade in which they were published (civil rights, counter culture, LGBTQIA rights etc). The franchise naturally lends itself to political and social commentary.

For me, I feel the fact that certain individuals get a "free pass" makes perfect sense. The Fantastic Four have great public relations and are completely transparent. We know exactly who they are and what they can do. Captain America was a soldier who fought, and believed died for, his country. Those characters get a pass simply because they are trusted. So why are mutants the target of extreme hate and prejudice?

Because we don't know who is a mutant. Who they are and what they can do. Some mutants are blessed with powers that are incredibly dangerous with the power to cause untold destruction - mind control, weather control, ability to manipulate the magnetic field etc. That is a very frightening prospect. It is the superpowered equivalent of domestic terrorism. Just without the guns and bombs.

Not every mutant is going to use their abilities for evil purposes. But you better believe that there are some who will. It is those individuals - that prospect- which causes anti-mutant sentiment.