Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55
  1. #1
    Extraordinary Member ExodusCloak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,305

    Default Create your own Magneto

    After reading the Magneto thread I'm surprised Marvel hasn't tried to capitalise from other genocides.

    Create your own Magneto type character with a backstory and power set. We will assemble the best 7 for a counter X-Men.

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,987

    Default

    Jesus Yikes. This is going to change my opinion about a lot of you.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,352

    Default

    It is kinda tacky to capitalize on Genocide, I understand the intent of the thread but it is pretty messed up to me how this worded. I understand reimagine Magneto to work in a modern setting. I am not pretty sure we should be playing which genocide bingo with Magneto. The reason I wanted Magneto updated because it could shine a real spotlight on the horrors of genocide still going on today with an impactful story. The reason I kept mentioning a Sudan for example because right now they are people in danger of that type of event. In Myanmar, they are events that have had happened recently. I felt that Magneto strong story updated in well-told movie would open up peoples eyes to people being mass murdered today. It is bigger than comics
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-13-2019 at 06:10 AM.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is kinda tacky to capitalize on Genocide, I understand the intent to the thread but it is pretty messed up to me how this worded. I understand reimagine Magneto to work in a modern setting. I am not pretty sure we should be playing which genocide bingo with Magneto. The reason I wanted Magneto update because it could real spotlight on the horrors of genocide still going on today with an impactful story. The reason I kept mentioning a Sudan for example because right now they are people in danger of that type of event. In Myanmar, they are events that have had happened recently.
    they are literally following your lead. i told you that it was a bad idea.
    "I just don't get why you wouldn't want to break the law anymore" --Scorpia

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    they are literally following your lead. i told you that it was a bad idea.
    It is not following my lead. The point is to update a story to fit a modern period and shining a light on horrors that are still going on today. If people see Magneto from Sudan or Myanmar and the story of him surviving that nightmare clicks. They become aware of the situation. Them becoming aware of the situation means pressure on governments to do something. Nazis aren't killing Jews today, There is still ethnic and religious mass-murdering still happening
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-13-2019 at 06:22 AM.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is not following my lead. The point of changing to update a story to fit a modern period and shining a light on horrors that are still going on today. If people see Magneto from Sudan or Myanmar and the story of him surviving that nightmare clicks. They become aware of the situation. Them becoming aware of the situation means pressure on governments to do something.
    they won't become aware. they will not care. Magneto becoming a Holocaust survivor did not impact the public. it was the other way around. the character benefited from being connected to something that was already in the public consciousness. americans see the sudanese as "the other." all you'll do is make Magneto less relevant.
    "I just don't get why you wouldn't want to break the law anymore" --Scorpia

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    americans see the sudanese as "the other."
    I was right.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I was right.
    you don't know me well enough to have an opinion to change.
    "I just don't get why you wouldn't want to break the law anymore" --Scorpia

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    Hmm, you could go those routes as they have a more global impact. But it doesn't necessarily need to be something on the scale of genocide to motivate him in that way. If you alter some of the elements and change the setting it could be a number of things. For instance, in the US and now slowly in other countries we are seeing an increase in mass shootings, some of them white supremacy based. Make him part of that. Like in the US you could draw from Sandy Hook or Pulse Nightclub. If Sandy hook were the reference have him be there just having dropped off little Anya to go to school and the shooting happens shortly after he leaves. He returns enraged and his powers emerge fully. Or with Pulse night club, again, have him be there in support of his older daughter Anya who is out and proud (and he's there supporting her)and his powers activate in the middle of that. He becomes and extremist when the government chooses to not do anything to protect mutants or stop the increasing gun violence. Event after event pushes him further and further into action.

    The global element is also important but I feel that we sadly have a plethora of instances in the past 20 years that one of these events could trigger him to go to an extreme.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    you don't know me well enough to have an opinion to change.
    So your defense of casual racist observation is claiming immunity via anonymity?

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    they won't become aware. they will not care. Magneto becoming a Holocaust survivor did not impact the public. it was the other way around. the character benefited from being connected to something that was already in the public consciousness. americans see the sudanese as "the other." all you'll do is make Magneto less relevant.
    MCU movie wouldn't make people aware? Okay. Magneto being ethnicity changed wouldn't be a story? They wouldn't be stories on why they are changing Magneto? How is Magneto going to less relevant he is still the main villain of the X-men? Even if he was less relevant why would we care? I mean if one real-life person gets saved because of change wouldn't be worth it?

    Protecting the legacy of a comic book character or making some people aware that the holocaust isn't the last and only genocide to ever happen. Which do you think is more important?
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-13-2019 at 06:39 AM.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Hmm, you could go those routes as they have a more global impact. But it doesn't necessarily need to be something on the scale of genocide to motivate him in that way. If you alter some of the elements and change the setting it could be a number of things. For instance, in the US and now slowly in other countries we are seeing an increase in mass shootings, some of them white supremacy based. Make him part of that. Like in the US you could draw from Sandy Hook or Pulse Nightclub. If Sandy hook were the reference have him be there just having dropped off little Anya to go to school and the shooting happens shortly after he leaves. He returns enraged and his powers emerge fully. Or with Pulse night club, again, have him be there in support of his older daughter Anya who is out and proud (and he's there supporting her)and his powers activate in the middle of that. He becomes and extremist when the government chooses to not do anything to protect mutants or stop the increasing gun violence. Event after event pushes him further and further into action.
    sounds more like the origin of a character that Magneto would recruit/manipulate.
    "I just don't get why you wouldn't want to break the law anymore" --Scorpia

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    MCU movie wouldn't make people aware?
    it wouldn't be an awareness that would benefit either of us

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Okay. Magneto being ethnicity changed would be a story?
    it certainly would be. and how do you think the removal of his jewish ancestry would be taken?

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    How is Magneto going to less relevant he is still the main villain of the X-men?
    he'll just be any other MCU villain. people will just talk about how Fassbender's was better. that will, in turn, hurt the MCU's X-Men.

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Even if he was less relevant why would we care?
    because it has an effect on the property as a whole. an uninteresting villain can destroy a franchise. if it isn't broke, why fix it? why not just use another villain altogether?

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I mean if one real-life person get saved because of change wouldn't be worth it?
    not one single person will be saved by a marvel movie. give to charity, run for office, start a blog if you just want to make a difference. look around. this is a culture where you could get beaten to death by police and the only "aid" that you'll get is someone putting it on worldstar. violent murders that happened 3 weeks ago have been forgotten and replaced in the news cycle. but people still know what the Holocaust was. nazis are still considered to be villains. at least for a little while.
    "I just don't get why you wouldn't want to break the law anymore" --Scorpia

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    So your defense of casual racist observation is claiming immunity via anonymity?
    i'm saying that you haven't even considered that maybe i wasn't giving my personal opinion but rather making a wider judgment about the people around me due to my own experiences. if you knew even the smallest detail about me, you would have asked for me to clarify. here's some context. i don't think that americans, in general, care about the lives of black americans (like me). therefore, i seriously doubt that they would care about Magneto being a victim of the Rwandan conflict. and i'm not anonymous. i'm using my real name and there's a link to my facebook profile if you click on my name.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 08-13-2019 at 06:44 AM.
    "I just don't get why you wouldn't want to break the law anymore" --Scorpia

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,987

    Default

    I knew what you were saying. You said Americans and you said other.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •