Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Create your own Magneto

After reading the Magneto thread I'm surprised Marvel hasn't tried to capitalise from other genocides.

Create your own Magneto type character with a backstory and power set. We will assemble the best 7 for a counter X-Men.

Jesus Yikes. This is going to change my opinion about a lot of you.

It is kinda tacky to capitalize on Genocide, I understand the intent of the thread but it is pretty messed up to me how this worded. I understand reimagine Magneto to work in a modern setting. I am not pretty sure we should be playing which genocide bingo with Magneto. The reason I wanted Magneto updated because it could shine a real spotlight on the horrors of genocide still going on today with an impactful story. The reason I kept mentioning a Sudan for example because right now they are people in danger of that type of event. In Myanmar, they are events that have had happened recently. I felt that Magneto strong story updated in well-told movie would open up peoples eyes to people being mass murdered today. It is bigger than comics
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-13-2019 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is kinda tacky to capitalize on Genocide, I understand the intent to the thread but it is pretty messed up to me how this worded. I understand reimagine Magneto to work in a modern setting. I am not pretty sure we should be playing which genocide bingo with Magneto. The reason I wanted Magneto update because it could real spotlight on the horrors of genocide still going on today with an impactful story. The reason I kept mentioning a Sudan for example because right now they are people in danger of that type of event. In Myanmar, they are events that have had happened recently.
    they are literally following your lead. i told you that it was a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    they are literally following your lead. i told you that it was a bad idea.
    It is not following my lead. The point is to update a story to fit a modern period and shining a light on horrors that are still going on today. If people see Magneto from Sudan or Myanmar and the story of him surviving that nightmare clicks. They become aware of the situation. Them becoming aware of the situation means pressure on governments to do something. Nazis aren't killing Jews today, There is still ethnic and religious mass-murdering still happening
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-13-2019 at 06:22 AM.

It is not following my lead. The point of changing to update a story to fit a modern period and shining a light on horrors that are still going on today. If people see Magneto from Sudan or Myanmar and the story of him surviving that nightmare clicks. They become aware of the situation. Them becoming aware of the situation means pressure on governments to do something.
    they won't become aware. they will not care. Magneto becoming a Holocaust survivor did not impact the public. it was the other way around. the character benefited from being connected to something that was already in the public consciousness. americans see the sudanese as "the other." all you'll do is make Magneto less relevant.

americans see the sudanese as "the other."
    I was right.

they won't become aware. they will not care. Magneto becoming a Holocaust survivor did not impact the public. it was the other way around. the character benefited from being connected to something that was already in the public consciousness. americans see the sudanese as "the other." all you'll do is make Magneto less relevant.
    MCU movie wouldn't make people aware? Okay. Magneto being ethnicity changed wouldn't be a story? They wouldn't be stories on why they are changing Magneto? How is Magneto going to less relevant he is still the main villain of the X-men? Even if he was less relevant why would we care? I mean if one real-life person gets saved because of change wouldn't be worth it?

Protecting the legacy of a comic book character or making some people aware that the holocaust isn't the last and only genocide to ever happen. Which do you think is more important?
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-13-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Hmm, you could go those routes as they have a more global impact. But it doesn't necessarily need to be something on the scale of genocide to motivate him in that way. If you alter some of the elements and change the setting it could be a number of things. For instance, in the US and now slowly in other countries we are seeing an increase in mass shootings, some of them white supremacy based. Make him part of that. Like in the US you could draw from Sandy Hook or Pulse Nightclub. If Sandy hook were the reference have him be there just having dropped off little Anya to go to school and the shooting happens shortly after he leaves. He returns enraged and his powers emerge fully. Or with Pulse night club, again, have him be there in support of his older daughter Anya who is out and proud (and he's there supporting her)and his powers activate in the middle of that. He becomes and extremist when the government chooses to not do anything to protect mutants or stop the increasing gun violence. Event after event pushes him further and further into action.

The global element is also important but I feel that we sadly have a plethora of instances in the past 20 years that one of these events could trigger him to go to an extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Hmm, you could go those routes as they have a more global impact. But it doesn't necessarily need to be something on the scale of genocide to motivate him in that way. If you alter some of the elements and change the setting it could be a number of things. For instance, in the US and now slowly in other countries we are seeing an increase in mass shootings, some of them white supremacy based. Make him part of that. Like in the US you could draw from Sandy Hook or Pulse Nightclub. If Sandy hook were the reference have him be there just having dropped off little Anya to go to school and the shooting happens shortly after he leaves. He returns enraged and his powers emerge fully. Or with Pulse night club, again, have him be there in support of his older daughter Anya who is out and proud (and he's there supporting her)and his powers activate in the middle of that. He becomes and extremist when the government chooses to not do anything to protect mutants or stop the increasing gun violence. Event after event pushes him further and further into action.
    sounds more like the origin of a character that Magneto would recruit/manipulate.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

It is not following my lead. The point is to update a story to fit a modern period and shining a light on horrors that are still going on today. If people see Magneto from Sudan or Myanmar and the story of him surviving that nightmare clicks. They become aware of the situation. Them becoming aware of the situation means pressure on governments to do something. Nazis aren't killing Jews today, There is still ethnic and religious mass-murdering still happening
    If marvel would make an story as a way shining a light on this it would be better to develop a new character, in the hands of a writer who cares and knows about the subject, a character who has this specific background and more importantly it would be better if that character isnīt made a villain. Why I think so, because changing an stablished character ethnic background for political reasons could bring an opposite reaction than the one you are seeking, it will look and felt as if you were saying " this situation isnīt important now" "lest talk about this other one by chaging this character ethnicity"which is the last thing I think you would like to do if your intention is to raise awarness. Maybe we donīt have Nazis today but Nazi ideology is still around as well as anti semitism.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 08-13-2019 at 06:59 AM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

it certainly would be. and how do you think the removal of his jewish ancestry would be taken?
    If a Jewish person is mad that, Another atrocity is being highlighted one with current real-world implications. They need to go read up on the Holocaust was honestly.

an uninteresting villain can destroy a franchise. if it isn't broke, why fix it? why not just use another villain altogether?
    I don't see why he would be uninteresting it is the same villain with a slightly different story

not one single person will be saved by a marvel movie. give to charity, run for office, start a blog if you just want to make a difference. look around. this is a culture where you could get beaten to death by police and the only "aid" that you'll get is someone putting it on worldstar. violent murders that happened 3 weeks ago have been forgotten and replaced in the news cycle. but people still know what the Holocaust was. nazis are still considered to be villains. at least for a little while.
    What good does knowing who the Nazis are today do? Do they know who is Isis or Janjaweed is ? Do they know Rohingya being killed in Myanmar? Okay Nazi are the villains people should care about?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    If marvel would make an story as a way shining a light on this it would be better to develop a new character, in the hands of a writer who cares and knows about the subject,who has this specific background and more importantly it would be better if that character isnīt made a villain. Why I think so, because changing an stablished character ethnic background for political reasons could bring an opposite reaction than the one you are seeking, it will look and felt as if you were saying " this situation isnīt important now" "lest talk about this other one by chaging this character ethnicity"which is the last thing I think you would like to do if your intention is to raise awarness.
    Nobody is more high profile than Magneto, You just don't want the character changed which I get. This isn't some complex thing if the opportunity to shine a light on real world issue and update character to fit setting comes up it should be an option. It would have to be a strong actor and strong script to green light the move. Lastly, If I repeat again a person Jewish descent is upset that character is being changed to highlight ethnic cleansing atrocities are still happening they are holding on the wrong thing.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-13-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Double post.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

BANNED

Update a reality? Doesnt even make sense.

It is kinda tacky to capitalize on Genocide, I understand the intent of the thread but it is pretty messed up to me how this worded. I understand reimagine Magneto to work in a modern setting. I am not pretty sure we should be playing which genocide bingo with Magneto. The reason I wanted Magneto updated because it could shine a real spotlight on the horrors of genocide still going on today with an impactful story. The reason I kept mentioning a Sudan for example because right now they are people in danger of that type of event. In Myanmar, they are events that have had happened recently. I felt that Magneto strong story updated in well-told movie would open up peoples eyes to people being mass murdered today. It is bigger than comics
    That was my reading of the comments of the previous thread, Magnetos success is Marvel capitalising on a genocide.

So you would create a character from Myanmar and Sudan? What powers would they have?
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 08-13-2019 at 07:00 AM.