Spectacular Member

Default Where does “operation zero tolerance” rank in the list of 90s good story arcs

Just curious as this was my real intro to the X-Men as a kid when I got one of the issue in marvel “value pack” from target back in the 90s. Lol.

Thinking of finally giving the whole arc a read and was wondering where you guys would rate it in regards to good X story arcs of the 90s

Thanks!
    Last edited by Dcnewb; 08-13-2019 at 09:44 AM.

One of the best mutants stories of that decade.

Unlike today at that time the mutant genocide was not something that could be carried openly or that would be celebrated by all mankind so Bastion and the government had to act in the shadows. Bastion could have won if his lies and secrets had not been exposed and turning the government against him.

The fact that a number of new characters and some of the B-line took the lead while more famous characters were prisoners was something I liked as well as the concept of the Prime Sentinels.

I found the explanation for Bastion's origin a bit absurd or too difficult to understand but he was still an interesting character at the time. A pity that Bastion as well as several mutant villains have become a joke these days .

It's disjointed. Similar to Phalanx Covenant, which I love, it has multiple sub/mini story arcs that build to the overarching plot. Also similar to Phalanx Covenant, most of the main/major X-Men are actually out of the field; a big group is sent to space prior and the rest are captured at the top of the arc. While I love Iceman and enjoy Marrow and Cecelia; the "A" storyline is actually the least interesting to me which is essentially where they battle Bastion (whom doesn't individually seem like as a powerful/dangerous as he does in say Second Coming. The threat is built up, but it really that the government has decided to crack down hunting mutants after Onslaught.

The B stories are probably the highlight.
    1) Jubilee getting captured/tortured in Gen X and then escaping with other prisoners Wolverine, Jubilee, Storm, Cyclops, Jean, and Cannonball.
    2) X-Force set up mission and Domino's capture/torture.
    3) Cable infiltrating the Mansion to recuse Caliban and destroy Xavier's Files (again like Phalanx Covenant)

The C stories are bit of a reach.
    1) Gen X on the run from Sentinels.
    2) X-Factor was mostly prologue with the Assassination of Graydon Creed which got disjointed IMO.
    3) X-Man and Excalibur just vaguely tie in if I recall.

It's not bad but there are a lot of similarities to Phalanx Covenant which I felt was stronger (partly because it was more condensed). At the time this event is what made me lose interest till the movies came out and the Morrison era. Lobdell left Generation X, which was arguably the best X-Book at the time, to only write X-Men but then also left shortly after due to editorial disputes. Ironically enough this story arc ended in November of 1997; just two months after X-Men: The Animated Series ended. You could feel the X-line shifting due to editorial and there wasn't much direction just residual of recent success (argubly the most successful/poplar time of the X-Men).

X-Cutioner's Song, Fatal Attraction, Phalanx Covenant, Legions Quest, Age of Apocalypse are all better 90s X-over/Events. Onslaught had stronger moments but was even more bloated and ridiculous.

However, if you are an Iceman fan this is a must read. This is probably his first major story arc as an actual major player in the X-Universe.
    Last edited by NewMutant; 08-13-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Eh. It only loses to X-Cutioner's Song and Age of Apocalypse.
    "Cable was right!"

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dcnewb View Post
    Just curious as this was my real intro to the X-Men as a kid when I got one of the issue in marvel “value pack” from target back in the 90s. Lol.

Thinking of finally giving the whole arc a read and was wondering where you guys would rate it in regards to good X story arcs of the 90s

Thanks!
    I think just like Onslaught most people liked the beginning of the story but the ending was lacking and did not have any real impact. I just wish they would of made the prime sentinels more important by being human allies that were activated.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Post.
    I generally agree--especially with the part where this, and the books as a whole, were just riding the wave of success and this story and era, and maybe 'Onslaught', is what made me leave Marvel until Morrison, Quietly, Casey, Milligan, and Allred came aboard.

I haven't re-read O:ZT in a long time, but I heard it actually ages pretty well. Maybe I'll revisit it.

Side-note: We don't typically think of 'X-Tinction Agenda' and 'Muir Island Saga' as '90s crossovers, since they took place before the MUTANT GENESIS, but they were (are?) also better!

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    I generally agree--especially with the part where this, and the books as a whole, were just riding the wave of success and this story and era, and maybe 'Onslaught', is what made me leave Marvel until Morrison, Quietly, Casey, Milligan, and Allred came aboard.

I haven't re-read O:ZT in a long time, but I heard it actually ages pretty well. Maybe I'll revisit it.

Side-note: We don't typically think of 'X-Tinction Agenda' and 'Muir Island Saga' as '90s crossovers, since they took place before the MUTANT GENESIS, but they were (are?) also better!
    Agreed. Muir Island Saga doesn't get enough love in general. It's the best Shadow King story.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

Great story. I loved the X-men and Gen X chapters. I think it would serve as a good plotline for a future movie

Iceman isnt on the promotional poster which is ironic considering he ended up being the lead and main hero

Last edited by Havok83; 08-13-2019 at 11:26 AM.

I like OTZ because it's not as big as the others crossovers of the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    I like OTZ because it's not as big as the others crossovers of the 90s.
    Coming off of Onslaught any story would feel like that. lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Great story. I loved the X-men and Gen X chapters. I think it would serve as a good plotline for a future movie

Iceman isnt on the promotional poster which is ironic considering he ended up being the lead and main hero
    good looking team
    depite the lack of colossus (who was with Excalibur)

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Opera...erance_(Event)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation:_Zero_Tolerance
    Last edited by steve2275; 08-14-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

BANNED

Ranks pretty highly for me. Loved Iceman taking center stage.

BANNED

Low.

Except for introducing Cecilia/Cecelia? Reyes and I guess Maggott and maybe reintroducing Marrow it did nothing for me. But then most of the '90s blew.

for me, it's one of my favorites period. But it's still below Age Of Apocalypse and the story arc of X-Men 1-3. I don't know if I would put it or X-ecutioner's Song at #3, but it's at least top 4.

Ooops! I forgot Fatal Attractions, which is definitely #3. So at least top 5.