Default The Riddler’s puzzle in Batman Secret Files #2

Spoilers obviously. Did anyone else take the time to figure it out? Not exactly rocket surgery but kind of fun, a bit of an ‘80s vibe to it.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Spoilers obviously. Did anyone else take the time to figure it out? Not exactly rocket surgery but kind of fun, a bit of an ‘80s vibe to it.
    I really enjoyed this! Yes, it's not a particularly tough thing to solve, but I had fun with it. I'd like to see future Riddler stories make use of that idea.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Well, I guess we are the only people who read this and bothered to solve it. But yeah, I like it when Riddler stories feature actual puzzles in the text. It also reminds me of The Brave and the Bold in the early-mid '80s when they would give some hint of the following month's team-up, eg one issue had The Creeper's shadow cast on a wall. I think one of the letters columns provided a full list of the clues from each issue.

I thought it was really cool. It reminded me of some Batman comics I've read where we, as readers, are asked what the answer is to a certain case Batman already figured out. Sure, this one was easy, but still fun
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Amazing Member

I just read it, and have absolutely NO clue as to the answer. How about a hint, crime-stoppers?

In the meantime, I think I’ll go back to my old “Encyclopedia Brown” books.

Quote Originally Posted by willtupper View Post
    I just read it, and have absolutely NO clue as to the answer. How about a hint, crime-stoppers?

In the meantime, I think I’ll go back to my old “Encyclopedia Brown” books.
    In each scenario Batman faces, look for the most distractive element that is also a letter. In the last scenario, follow the post it and the letter of the camera where they were put by Riddler
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    In each scenario Batman faces, look for the most distractive element that is also a letter. In the last scenario, follow the post it and the letter of the camera where they were put by Riddler
    spoilers:
    U KANT PLAY ---- and then the part with the cameras is of course ALDEN, but what's the middle part? I'm struggling to fit ROOK or KNIGHT in there.
    end of spoilers

There was also, kind of stealthily, a lot of stuff added to Riddler's background in this story. Apparently he used to write plays, and at some point he had a wife? Seems like pretty big things to throw out there just to make a 10 page story work, but they'll probably be ignored in the future. Or picked up and elaborated on, but I doubt it.
    Last edited by TheNewFiftyForum; 08-11-2019 at 02:34 AM.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    spoilers:
    U KANT PLAY ---- and then the part with the cameras is of course ALDEN, but what's the middle part? I'm struggling to fit ROOK or KNIGHT in there.
    end of spoilers

There was also, kind of stealthily, a lot of stuff added to Riddler's background in this story. Apparently he used to write plays, and at some point he had a wife? Seems like pretty big things to throw out there just to make a 10 page story work, but they'll probably be ignored in the future. Or picked up and elaborated on, but I doubt it.
    spoilers:
    The cameras actually spell out "ALONE", and the chess pieces represent chess. So the answer is "U KANT PLAY CHESS ALONE"
    end of spoilers
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    spoilers:
    The cameras actually spell out "ALONE", and the chess pieces represent chess. So the answer is "U KANT PLAY CHESS ALONE"
    end of spoilers
    Excellent, thanks.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow