View Poll Results: Surge!

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Give her a team. She should be calling the shots!

39 37.50%
  • No.

65 62.50%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    That's just a bonus

Surge is a former drug user who lived on the streets and Armor's power levels are directly proportional to the deaths of her loved ones

It's kinda hard to name any X-Men without dark pasts
    I'm with Havok83 on this one. Surge, despite having a drug using past, is not a "dark" person. Armor's powers don't reflect a dark character either.

Granted, Laura is supposed to have moved on from being dark though. Is she regressing in this book?

Surge should be leading a new XMEN team with Laura, and Armor should be the junior character in an XMEN book. Psylocke and Cable def work as "dark" heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    If Krakoa has brought back and repowered all the former Academy X characters like Prodigy, Wallflower, Winddancer and Icarus, Marvel should at least do an Academy X book reuniting the original cast.
    That will only happen if Kyle and Yost are involved, at least that is what i feel should happen.

Personally, I would rather see Hellion lead a team with X-23 as his second in command (among other things if you catch my meaning)...or vice versa but not Surge. I mean before he got shafted he did a pretty good job leading the Hellions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    X-23, sure. But what “dark history” does WiFi have besides shooting his older self in the head? Surge’s definitely has a more tragic backstory than Bable.
    Wifi comes from an apocalyptic future, is very likely that he has done questionable things in order to survive
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    That will only happen if Kyle and Yost are involved, at least that is what i feel should happen.
    Absolutely not. Those two were never involved in developing the first Academy X cast and only shoved them aside for the Hellions after Decimation. It was Weir and DeFilippis who did all the heavy lifting and who created that cast in the first place.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 08-15-2019 at 06:42 PM.

I was fond of the New X-men so I'm down with her leading another young mutants team.

#WAVE2.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Wifi comes from an apocalyptic future, is very likely that he has done questionable things in order to survive
    How far has it been since he grew up with Slym and Redd, because by that point I think the worse thing he did was give a kid the TO Virus?

Have we already had a thread on who’s the better leader between Surge, Hellion, and Prodigy? And Armor, now, I guess? Interested in what people think about their leadership skills or just the general ability to lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Absolutely not. Those two were never involved in developing the first Academy X cast and only shoved them aside for the Hellions after Decimation. It was Weir and DeFilippis who did all the heavy lifting and who created that cast in the first place.
    Yeah, I don’t think Kyle and Yost liked any of the kids they killed off.

Surge and Armor should replace X-23 and Cable in Fallen Angels
    Why's that?

(Could care less about Cable, but I will admit that X-23 being in it is the only reason I'm going to read it.)

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I'm with Havok83 on this one. Surge, despite having a drug using past, is not a "dark" person. Armor's powers don't reflect a dark character either.
    As I recall, Surge had more of a tragic past then anything else. Haven't read a lot of stuff with Armor in focus, but she's not exactly a noir character, as I recall.

Granted, Laura is supposed to have moved on from being dark though. Is she regressing in this book?
    Remains to be seen. That said, there could be ways to have her in a dark story or dealing with the darker parts of herself without regressing her.

Surge should be leading a new XMEN team with Laura, and Armor should be the junior character in an XMEN book. Psylocke and Cable def work as "dark" heroes.
    I would love that. Surge was a favorite of mine from the New X-Men comics and I did like her as the leader character (not always the nicest person or always making the best decisions, but was fully committed to the people under her).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Yeah, I don’t think Kyle and Yost liked any of the kids they killed off.
    They liked Network enough to use her in Wolverine and the X-Men

X-23, sure. But what “dark history” does WiFi have besides shooting his older self in the head? Surge’s definitely has a more tragic backstory than Bable.
    He literally grew up in an Apocalyptic warzone future. How the heck is Surge more tragic than him? There's a gap beween when Scott and Jean left him until Extermination that we dont know about. He's obviously killed and has some demons. Nothing about Surge is darker than him

How far has it been since he grew up with Slym and Redd, because by that point I think the worse thing he did was give a kid the TO Virus?
    At least 5 years. He had his parents to at least protect and teach him up until 12 years of age but he's been on his own since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    He literally grew up in an Apocalyptic warzone future. How the heck is Surge more tragic than him? There's a gap beween when Scott and Jean left him until Extermination that we dont know about. He's obviously killed and has some demons. Nothing about Surge is darker than him
    Okay, yeah really poor choice of words. But from Bable’s POV to now, he has no real reason to “not fit into Krakoa.” Not only is he the one destined to beat Apocalypse, but he shouldn’t really have a reason to be angsty as he’s even reunited with his trusted adult figures in a safe mutant haven. I mean....yeah I’m sure he’s been raised as a soldier but if we’re being honest, even Hope is a better fit than him. Surge never had that trust because every adult figure in her life either disowned her, ran away, or failed her. She doesn’t even like Xavier and felt his inaction also led to her smelling her friends’ charred corpses.

At least 5 years. He had his parents to at least protect and teach him up until 12 years of age but he's been on his own since then.
    Hmmmmmmm

They liked Network enough to use her in Wolverine and the X-Men
    That’s so random.

BANNED

Ew, no. I don’t know what people see in the Kyle and Yost goblins.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    As I recall, Surge had more of a tragic past then anything else. Haven't read a lot of stuff with Armor in focus, but she's not exactly a noir character, as I recall.

Remains to be seen. That said, there could be ways to have her in a dark story or dealing with the darker parts of herself without regressing her.
    You can have a tragic past without being "dark" and you can be "dark" without having a tragic past.

When I think of "dark", I think of XFORCE at its extreme, I think of heroes who cross the killing line and actually have fun doing it. I think of characters who don't see a brighter future for themselves and who are nihilistic. Cable and Psylocke falls into that category for me but not Surge.

X23 has moved on from being nihilistic, so I don't se her as "dark" either. I see her more as Rogue, started out with a dark past but has clearly moved on to hero territory.

Okay, yeah really poor choice of words. But from Bable’s POV to now, he has no real reason to “not fit into Krakoa.” Not only is he the one destined to beat Apocalypse, but he shouldn’t really have a reason to be angsty as he’s even reunited with his trusted adult figures in a safe mutant haven. I mean....yeah I’m sure he’s been raised as a soldier but if we’re being honest, even Hope is a better fit than him. Surge never had that trust because every adult figure in her life either disowned her, ran away, or failed her. She doesn’t even like Xavier and felt his inaction also led to her smelling her friends’ charred corpses.
    But Apocalypse will be on an XTEAM soon enough, and HoX/PoX seems to be hinting at him fighting for a greater good.

He's a time traveler. Even if he could stay in Krakoa chilling with pops, the minute he time travels, all that angst should come back. You really think someone who deals with apocalyptic futures as his main storyline isn't going to be "angsty"?
    Last edited by RamaBird; 08-16-2019 at 05:07 AM.

BANNED

Surge and Armor should replace X-23 and Cable in Fallen Angels
    I'd love to see how Kwannon would interact with Nori & Hisako. They've all got such interesting power signatures and I'd love to see them kicking ass together. WiFi does nothing for me, and I feel like X-23 deserves better than a satellite title. Dropping Quentin from X-Force and subbing him out for Laura, thus placing her on the same team as Logan, Jean & Neena would be a huge perk.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Add Sunfire to this and you might have something.
    I swear, if my boy Shiro isn't on a Wave 2 Dawn of X title I'm gonna be pretty damn disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    If Krakoa's resurrecting mutants, just add Sunpyre.
    I always forget that Leyu actually existed in the 616, just because her role was so minimal and she hasn't even been mentioned/referenced since her death AFAIK. But yes, she can come back, alongside Synch, Avalanche, Destiny, Caliban, Tempo etc.

Personally, I would rather see Hellion lead a team with X-23 as his second in command (among other things if you catch my meaning)...or vice versa but not Surge. I mean before he got shafted he did a pretty good job leading the Hellions.
    For me I'd have more interest in Hellion leading, but that's more to do with my personal preference and affinity with both his character archetype and general aesthetic. And I 100% ship Hellion/X-23 (Lulian? Jaura?)

Have we already had a thread on who’s the better leader between Surge, Hellion, and Prodigy? And Armor, now, I guess? Interested in what people think about their leadership skills or just the general ability to lead.
    I don't believe so but I feel like the question could be posed in the NXM thread. I always felt they were very much different approaches to leadership, and kinda mirrored some of the classic X-Men- Surge as Cyclops (the whole tactical approach), Hellion as Magneto (extremist powerhouse) and Armor as Emma (bitchy but effective). So in that regard, I think it depends entirely on who is on their respective squad and whether the team would respect them. For example, I could see Mercury being fully on board following Nori or Julian but may have doubts about taking orders from Hisako. And the runner-up NXM (Anole, Trance, Indra etc.) probably have a closer bond with Hisako than the others. I also think co-leadership can work, provided said co-captains aren't at each others throats.