View Poll Results: Surge!

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Give her a team. She should be calling the shots!

39 37.50%
  • No.

65 62.50%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    I feel like Surge and Prodigy would be co-leaders. I don’t know why, but I feel like Hope would be at odds with Armor, which most likely means all her Lights would follow suit and

Cuckoos: Noriko
    Nature Girl: probably Hisako

Yeah, hit the nail on the head with Glob, Shark Girl, Anole, Trance, and Loa for Hisako. Even though I do agree with Hisako being an Emma-type, if she ever came to blows with Noriko, it would sort of be a redux to Schism.

I would love to see Mercury adopt a leadership role, even if it was only briefly. There was a little taste of that role in Generation X when Kitty let Mercury form a search-and-rescue party and she was pretty much on the same level of respect as Chamber and Husk.

Or at least she pulls same rank??? IDK I personally wouldn't mind if the New X-Men and Generation X were considered equals since they're generally around the same age range and both have a ton of experience, but I think it's a pretty fuego take. All this to say..............I think Mercury is closest to that beacon of light and not just because she’s also a ginger.
    They were co leaders during the run on New X-men (which apperantely not many liked for reasons, not saying they should like it but i do not get the dislike, oh well.)

I don't think Cessily has that spark for leadership, she seems more like the mediator type.

Surge really only works if she has someone who can handle her like Prodicgy, Dust or even X-23

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    I'm not saying they're cookie-cutter personality archetypes, just that I could see resemblances to the leadership tactics of other recognizable mutants. I personally think Nori mirrors Scott's leadership style in the 'commands respect' 'no holds barred' type attitude. And sure, she leaned on members of her team, but that's part of the criteria of a good leader. Scott has relied on Hank, Ororo, Emma, Erik etc. over the years to keep him in check and provide skills/knowledge/resources where he could not.

I don't think Julian can be described as grounded. His earliest characterization had him pegged as an arrogant frat boy type, and while this later faded, he was alluded to being the 'next Magneto' on occasions. I think it's not unreasonable to worry that he could have easily been led astray, given his personality and grooming by Emma Frost for one.

And no, Hisako surely isn't as radical as Emma, but I think the way in which she leads, and her smart mouth, seems familiar. I think when it comes to her peers Armor is unlikely to be adored by all, but I fully believe she's a capable leader, and X-Man.
    I will agree on the aspect of her relying on suport to make good descisions but i wouldn't say she "commands respect", i mean given her time as a leader did she ever really won over her whole team? I mean if you look at Cyclops he has the respect of the group, even the rebels like Gambit and Logan or veterans like Magneto but i don't think it could be said she did the same...though i could be wrong.

I agree he was cocky and sometimes did come close to be arrogant, but i did feel he was the better leader given his loyalty to his team even when it cost him much, and he was never blind to what the world was nor did he go out of his way to make things worse. Actually Emma was grooming him to be the next leader of the X-men after Scott, she even went as far as limiting his powers until he was readey, the fact that she someties turned a blind eye to his shenanigangs was really more her fault than his.

WasArmor a team leader at some point? I know Logan favored her but was she ever given that level of responsability?

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    They were co leaders during the run on New X-men (which apperantely not many liked for reasons, not saying they should like it but i do not get the dislike, oh well.)

I don't think Cessily has that spark for leadership, she seems more like the mediator type.

Surge really only works if she has someone who can handle her like Prodicgy, Dust or even X-23
    Surge and Prodigy worked really well together. But it’s not like she can’t lead on her own, it’s just stressful. And the only people who really dislike the run are either people who preferred the teenybopper title where all their favs weren’t horrifically killed off or readers who didn’t read it.

I will agree on the aspect of her relying on suport to make good descisions but i wouldn't say she "commands respect", i mean given her time as a leader did she ever really won over her whole team? I mean if you look at Cyclops he has the respect of the group, even the rebels like Gambit and Logan or veterans like Magneto but i don't think it could be said she did the same...though i could be wrong.
    Besides the immediate fallout where Julian and the Hellions were still salty that Surge was leader, after the Nimrod arc, they all looked to her for guidance. The only problem she really faced in the team was that Laura stormed off-campus and both she and Cessily got kidnapped, to which Julian ran off to find them. But besides that, she expects her team to follow her command. And they usually do.

Was Armor a team leader at some point? I know Logan favored her but was she ever given that level of responsability?
    Unofficially during Disassembled.

I honestly don’t know who she is =/
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    You could kill virtually everyone from Gen Hope to the Bendis kids (except Goldballs!) or the New X-Men/Academy X and I would not bat an eye except for a few - spare Prodigy, Dust, Rockslide, Elixir, Anole, maybe Gentle who has potential. IMO it was way too soon to introduce yet another new class back when they did in the 2000's, with Gen X barely having had time to get footing in 'adulthood' a la the New Mutants/X-Force. Hence why many of them have been lost in the shuffle a long time.
    Between Gen Hope & the Bendis kids I'd only save Transonic and Goldballs. The rest are expendable and replaceable in my opinion. But, that said, there's no way I'd want to lose any of the New X-Men. So many interesting powersets and personality types, and they were my generation- I was a teenager whilst reading about these kids, hence my attachment.

And sure, Generation X and the New Mutants deserved prominence and a respective 'graduation' into the X-Men much earlier. But that doesn't mean the New X-Men/Academy X storyline and characters are any less valuable and/or enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    they gotta start putting the “kids” on teams (besides more “training teams”)let alone letting them lead..we’ve been getting variations on the same lineup for ages.
    I mean, this is also true. Hellion, Rockslide, Dust etc. need their chance just like X-23, Armor & Pixie got theirs. And the latter needs to be reintroduced to core X-Teams. I'm loving that Gen X & the New Mutants are getting their time to shine again in Dawn of X, but its strange to have only X-23 and Quentin in the X-Titles out of the many Next Gen X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    I feel like Surge and Prodigy would be co-leaders. I don’t know why, but I feel like Hope would be at odds with Armor, which most likely means all her Lights would follow suit and

Cuckoos: Noriko
    Nature Girl: probably Hisako

Yeah, hit the nail on the head with Glob, Shark Girl, Anole, Trance, and Loa for Hisako. Even though I do agree with Hisako being an Emma-type, if she ever came to blows with Noriko, it would sort of be a redux to Schism.

I would love to see Mercury adopt a leadership role, even if it was only briefly. There was a little taste of that role in Generation X when Kitty let Mercury form a search-and-rescue party and she was pretty much on the same level of respect as Chamber and Husk.

Or at least she pulls same rank??? IDK I personally wouldn't mind if the New X-Men and Generation X were considered equals since they're generally around the same age range and both have a ton of experience, but I think it's a pretty fuego take. All this to say..............I think Mercury is closest to that beacon of light and not just because she’s also a ginger.
    That'd make sense. I kinda feel like Hope is at odds with everyone. She seems to inherited all the worst Summers qualities (despite not being of their bloodline). And yeah, given her weird psychic imprint/brainwashing thing, the lights wouldn't follow anyone Hope has a vendetta against.

The Cuckoos I think wouldn't respect Noriko or Hisako and would strike out on their own.

Armor hanging with that crew would be immensely enjoyable to read. I maintain that an X-Men anthology styled book would do wonders for the various mutants, and could be a good way to spotlight the many generations, including this one, given Marvel is so hesitant to grant them their own title.

I'm not sure Mercury fits the team leader mold, but you may be right when it comes to her being the closest to Jean. And yes, Gen X and the New X-Men are pretty darned close in many ways. Hell, Armor & Pixie have seen way more action than Mondo (sidenote: I love him) has, and should be higher in the ranks.

I will agree on the aspect of her relying on support to make good decisions but I wouldn't say she "commands respect", I mean given her time as a leader did she ever really won over her whole team? I mean if you look at Cyclops he has the respect of the group, even the rebels like Gambit and Logan or veterans like Magneto but I don't think it could be said she did the same...though I could be wrong.
    I mean, there's less examples to pull from, but that was my take on the team dynamic. At the very least, I think that can be said when she was leading the New Mutants overseen by Dani, if not later on when they merged with Emma's Hellions post-MDay. I think even when Hellion was her opposition, his disdain towards her and the ongoing team rivalry only proved that they felt threatened/intimidated, and so, in a bizarre way, respected.

I agree he was cocky and sometimes did come close to be arrogant, but I did feel he was the better leader given his loyalty to his team even when it cost him much, and he was never blind to what the world was nor did he go out of his way to make things worse. Actually Emma was grooming him to be the next leader of the X-men after Scott, she even went as far as limiting his powers until he was ready, the fact that she sometimes turned a blind eye to his shenanigans was really more her fault than his.
    Well said. I do prefer Julian over Nori tbh, I just recognize his flaws in his early characterization.

Was Armor a team leader at some point? I know Logan favored her but was she ever given that level of responsibility?
    Hisako took the reigns during Disassembled, and then in Age of X-Man.

BANNED

Hope has no reason to exist and never did tbh

Surge smells like old soup

Everyone knows when Hope is around, she runs the kids

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

WTH is Anole doing? Is that a Skrull?
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

They really just let all those kids bend the knee to Not Jean Grey #5 huh

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    WTH is Anole doing? Is that a Skrull?
    I give Rosenberg a lot of **** for using Anole in that cure storyline, but artists really do draw him ugly as sin most of the time

If my head shape randomly changed every week and my tongue suddenly split into 3, I'd probably want to take a mutant cure too

Was it Rosenberg's idea? Don't forget he had two co-writers in Disassembled. His run really started with issue 11.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    They really just let all those kids bend the knee to Not Jean Grey #5 huh
    contrived origin? maybe. badass? 100%