All-New Member

Default Ultimate Spider Man 2000

Hi All - I'm new to the comic book scene and have started reading the ultimate spider man series from 2000 using Marvel Unlimited. I'm about 11 in so far and really enjoying it. I suppose I have a couple of questions:

1 - Should I be reading any other series along side this such as Daredevil if they intertwine? Or is it a fairly solo series?

2 - A bit more of a broad question. I'm really into Captain America and The Winter soldier. Any good Series (as there's just so many it's quite overwhelming!) To start with?

I did briefly look at the 1941 Cap America but it's rather dated and there's tons of newer series so was hoping to get thoughts on some of the later series and perhaps a good starting place.

Thanks!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sawful1 View Post
    Hi All - I'm new to the comic book scene and have started reading the ultimate spider man series from 2000 using Marvel Unlimited. I'm about 11 in so far and really enjoying it. I suppose I have a couple of questions:

1 - Should I be reading any other series along side this such as Daredevil if they intertwine? Or is it a fairly solo series?
    It's a solo series and self-explanatory. The only tie-in is the limited series Ultimate Six but you don't need to read that until say Issue #50 or something.

2 - A bit more of a broad question. I'm really into Captain America and The Winter soldier. Any good Series (as there's just so many it's quite overwhelming!) To start with?
    I recommend not reading anything with Ultimate Captain America if you like those stories.

If you like Brubaker's run, then Ta-Nehisi Coates' current run on Captain America is very good.

I did briefly look at the 1941 Cap America but it's rather dated and there's tons of newer series so was hoping to get thoughts on some of the later series and perhaps a good starting place.

Thanks!
    If you want older Captain America series, there's Roger Stern's brief run. I also recommend Avengers Under Siege, also by Stern. That's a great Captain America story and an Avengers story at the same time.

The Ultimate Universe is distinct from the regular Marvel Universe, so you don't need to pick up any regular Marvel titles to understand what's going on. If you like Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man, you might also enjoy his Daredevil.

There was also a brief (16 issues and a special) Ultimate Marvel Team-Up run by Bendis and a slew of artists.

I personally liked Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch's The Ultimates and The Ultimates 2, which feature the Ultimate versions of the Avengers.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Cool, Ultimate Spider-Man was a good series. Hope you continue to enjoy!

Just curious if you have any plans to dive into Amazing Spider-Man one day or what you reasons are for choosing Ultimate version to start with. Is it less daunting than taking on the main Spider-man? For me I started reading before Ultimate existed so I just jumped into reading the core Spider-man books in the late 300s. I’m glad I did because it’s fun to follow a character with such a rich, vast history and the fact that I can continue reading the adventures of the original Spidey today. Anyway, curious about what drove you to read Ultimate.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Cool, Ultimate Spider-Man was a good series. Hope you continue to enjoy!

Just curious if you have any plans to dive into Amazing Spider-Man one day or what you reasons are for choosing Ultimate version to start with. Is it less daunting than taking on the main Spider-man? For me I started reading before Ultimate existed so I just jumped into reading the core Spider-man books in the late 300s. I’m glad I did because it’s fun to follow a character with such a rich, vast history and the fact that I can continue reading the adventures of the original Spidey today. Anyway, curious about what drove you to read Ultimate.
    Hi - I believe I just did a quick google about a good place to start with Spiderman and that seemed to be a series that was often mentioned. I also wanted to go with one that had quite a few issues under its belt (as it seems some do about 10-15 issues and then just vanish like a few of the GOTG series).

I'm 12 issues in so far and loving it.

Hi - I believe I just did a quick google about a good place to start with Spiderman and that seemed to be a series that was often mentioned. I also wanted to go with one that had quite a few issues under its belt (as it seems some do about 10-15 issues and then just vanish like a few of the GOTG series).

I'm 12 issues in so far and loving it.
    Oh ok, yeah it can be confusing.

Marvels main Spider-Man book is Amazing Spider-Man and it’s currently 828 issues in (you can see legacy numbering issues n covers now). It’s renumbered at issue 27 right now because they renumber at 1 every few years. It’s the same ongoing story since 1962. Ultimate Peter’s story ended almost a decade ago and he replaced by Miles Morales in Ultimate.

In Amazing Spider-Man you see original Peter grow and change over the decades and see all classic villians. He finishes high school, graduates collage, gets married, loses marriage, has a company, etc. Ultimate Spider-Man is all set in high school and villains are re-imagined alternate takes.

I would recommend reading Nick Spencer’s current Amazing Spider-Man if you are interested in the original “true” Peter Parker Spider-Man.

Ultimate is cool too and do continue to read, but his story is over while the original is still going. So reading both versions would be good because you will never run out of Amazing while you will with Ultimate Peter.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 08-14-2019 at 10:30 AM.

All-New Member

Thank you for that you've been a great help

All-New Member

Oh ok, yeah it can be confusing.

Marvels main Spider-Man book is Amazing Spider-Man and it’s currently 828 issues in (you can see legacy numbering issues n covers now). It’s renumbered at issue 27 right now because they renumber at 1 every few years. It’s the same ongoing story since 1962. Ultimate Peter’s story ended almost a decade ago and he replaced by Miles Morales in Ultimate.

In Amazing Spider-Man you see original Peter grow and change over the decades and see all classic villians. He finishes high school, graduates collage, gets married, loses marriage, has a company, etc. Ultimate Spider-Man is all set in high school and villains are re-imagined alternate takes.

I would recommend reading Nick Spencer’s current Amazing Spider-Man if you are interested in the original “true” Peter Parker Spider-Man.

Ultimate is cool too and do continue to read, but his story is over while the original is still going. So reading both versions would be good because you will never run out of Amazing while you will with Ultimate Peter.
    Is the Amazing Spiderman on Marvel unlimited? I can see a series starting in 1964 and that just has 28 Annual issues inside.

It’s funny seeing Marvels renumbering system bite them in the ass when you have new readers looking for a HIGHER issue number and avoiding series with constant number resets.

(The reason Marvels constantly resets there numbering every few years is to give new readers jumping on points into a character’s ongoing adventures but it may be doing more harm than good, lol.

Is the Amazing Spiderman on Marvel unlimited? I can see a series starting in 1964 and that just has 28 Annual issues inside.
    Yes, they should have them all.

Look for The Amazing Spider-Man (2018). They put the year next to the title every time they renumber the book to #1. The 2018 series is also known as volume 5 because it’s the 5th time they’ve had issue #1.

The original starts in 1962 with Amazing Fantasy 15.
    The first issue is Amazing Spider-Man 1 in 1963.
    They renumbered in 1999, 2014, 2015, and 2018.

To make it even more confusing they randomly went back to legacy numbering several times in the past so they could have issue 500 and 800.

They have both numbering systems on the covers now which helps.

You may have to search “The Amazing...” instead of just “Amazing....”, not sure.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 08-14-2019 at 10:47 AM.

All-New Member

Yes, they should have them all.

Look for The Amazing Spider-Man (2018). They put the year next to the title every time they renumber the book to #1. The 2018 series is also known as volume 5 because it’s the 5th time they’ve had issue #1.

The original starts in 1962 with Amazing Fantasy 15.
    The first issue is Amazing Spider-Man 1 in 1963.
    They renumbered in 1999, 2014, 2015, and 2018.

To make it even more confusing they randomly went back to legacy numbering several times in the past so they could have issue 500 and 800.

They have both numbering systems on the covers now which helps.

You may have to search “The Amazing...” instead of just “Amazing....”, not sure.
    Thanks again for your help

Thanks again for your help
    You’re welcome. Hope you enjoy!

Thanks!
    Not very familiar with Cap comics, but I'm a huge fan of the Ultimate Spider-Man comics. As others have noted, it was (for the most part), an extremely self-contained series that could be taken on its own without needing to dip into other stuff. During the Peter Parker era, there are a handful of optional crossovers you can add to the list besides the aforementioned Ultimate Six.

Ultimate Marvel Teamup was a miniseries by Brian Michael Bendis, with short stories about Spidey early in his career meeting other heroes. The timeframe jumps around a bit (all the stories are set after USM#13, but some are clearly scattered between later stories). It's worth reading, since a lot of the characters Spidey meets here later show up in the main series with no explanation unless you read this and it does resolve the superhero assignment subplot started in USM and then dropped with no explanation. The tricky thing is that some of these stories were considered non-canon and ignored (like anything with the Fantasitc Four), so stuff is worth taking with a grain of salt.

Spidey also guest-starred in the "Block Buster" story arc of Ultimate X-Men (#34 - 39) also written by Bendis. I personally think it more or less fits between USM #45 and 46, but that's just a guess. It's certainly not essential, but it is fun and Spidey does have a substantial role and Mary Jane has a nice couple scenes early on.

Ultimate Power was an Ultimate Marvel/Squadron Supreme crossover that has Spidey in it. The Marvel Wiki puts it between USM #105 and 106, but nothing in the story makes sense when trying to fit it into USM. I think it's fun for what it is, but USM completely ignores it and everything about Spider-Man's presence there is contradictory to it (without spoiling it, when we first meet him, he's doing something that was already finished in the story arc prior and USM issues set after Ultimate Power are written with the mindset that he wasn't there, since he's written to have not known things he witnessed in that story).

USM #129 - 133 is written to tie into Ultimatum, however, they stand alone perfectly well and everything I've head is to skip that event, except the Spidey issues (which are really good). You will want to read the two-part Ultimatum: Requiem installments that bridge the gap between the first volume of USM and the relaunch ("World According to Peter Parker"), also well done.

USM Vol. 2 has almost no crossovers, except the three miniseries Ultimate Comics: Enemy, Mystery, and Doom (basically one story collectively knowns as "Doomsday"). It's set after USM #9 but beyond that, not really clear (I just read it after that myself). Spider-Man isn't exactly a major player, but it's written by Bendis and it does factor a bit into later stories.

From there, it's pretty much clear sailing to "Death of Spider-Man" and the end of the Peter Parker era. The Miles comics have a lot more tie-ins, but that's another topic and you've got plenty of time to work that out if decide to continue.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)