Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Issue 3 is the one where Year One could get really bad. Batman and the Joker showing up? Is the goddamn Batman about to show up Supes in his own origins story? He very well might. And Miller WW has always been awful for me, never enjoyed how he writes her. But I don’t share Yoda’s hate for it even if I understand where he’s coming from. It’s just an ok story so far, and thankfully a non canon one. I don’t know why DC let him make it though.

Right now I just finished up Busiek’s Astro City and as weird as it sounds I think Astro City has some of the best Superman stories in it. Samaritan’s dreams of flying, clashes with Infidel, I’d be curious if anyone who doesn’t like Supes would have a new perspective on him after reading Astro City.

1. All-Star Superman

2. The Complete Alan Moore Superman (aka the "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" tpb that also includes "For the Man Who Has Everything" and "The Jungle Line")

3. Death and Return of Superman omnibus

4. Superman For All Seasons

5. Exile

6. Rebirth volume one

7. Secret Identity

Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar

As someone who only read the first volumes of each continuity, that is, Golden Age Vol. 1, Byrne Man of Steel Vol. 1 and Morrison Action Comics Vol. 1, which are basically the origin plus the intro of the most important characters like Lex and Lois, what I want next as a new reader is...

A compilation of the first conflict of his most popular villains with Superman.

Parasyte, Bizarro, Brainiac, Toyman, Ultra-Humanite, Doomsday, Cyborg Superman, Zod, Eradicator, and so on.

I didn't say origin, though they usually have the origin included. The priority is the conflict that gives me the idea of who they are, what they want, and if you can, what makes them a classic. So it doesn't have to be the first appearance either.

Lex, Brainiac, and Metallo tend to already be included with the origins, so if I want to pick up the other origin, I can, and I know the one definitive Doomsday story, but since that's a Death, I'm holding it off for Act 3. In the larger Superman knowledge, I'm still on Act 2: The Conflict.