Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Issue 3 is the one where Year One could get really bad. Batman and the Joker showing up? Is the goddamn Batman about to show up Supes in his own origins story? He very well might. And Miller WW has always been awful for me, never enjoyed how he writes her. But I don’t share Yoda’s hate for it even if I understand where he’s coming from. It’s just an ok story so far, and thankfully a non canon one. I don’t know why DC let him make it though.

Right now I just finished up Busiek’s Astro City and as weird as it sounds I think Astro City has some of the best Superman stories in it. Samaritan’s dreams of flying, clashes with Infidel, I’d be curious if anyone who doesn’t like Supes would have a new perspective on him after reading Astro City.

1. All-Star Superman

2. The Complete Alan Moore Superman (aka the "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" tpb that also includes "For the Man Who Has Everything" and "The Jungle Line")

3. Death and Return of Superman omnibus

4. Superman For All Seasons

5. Exile

6. Rebirth volume one

7. Secret Identity

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

As someone who only read the first volumes of each continuity, that is, Golden Age Vol. 1, Byrne Man of Steel Vol. 1 and Morrison Action Comics Vol. 1, which are basically the origin plus the intro of the most important characters like Lex and Lois, what I want next as a new reader is...

A compilation of the first conflict of his most popular villains with Superman.

Parasyte, Bizarro, Brainiac, Toyman, Ultra-Humanite, Doomsday, Cyborg Superman, Zod, Eradicator, and so on.

I didn't say origin, though they usually have the origin included. The priority is the conflict that gives me the idea of who they are, what they want, and if you can, what makes them a classic. So it doesn't have to be the first appearance either.

Lex, Brainiac, and Metallo tend to already be included with the origins, so if I want to pick up the other origin, I can, and I know the one definitive Doomsday story, but since that's a Death, I'm holding it off for Act 3. In the larger Superman knowledge, I'm still on Act 2: The Conflict.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Live action:
    Man of Steel
    Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition
    Smallville

Comics:
    Superman: Earth One
    Last Son of Krypton

Animation:
    Superman Unbound
    Death of Superman

Lets see.

There are the usual suspects. All Star Superman(1) and Alan Moore's Superman(2).I did not know that there is a TPB for Alan Moore. I have to look it up as i haven't read that Swamp Thing story. Mark Millar's run on Superman Adventures(3). I don't think all of them are collected in one place though. Action Comics first volume by Morrison(4) is great. All of that run is great. But towards the end it becomes very complicated. Secret Identity shall be my fifth choice.

After seeing the highs, the reader should have developed interest in reading more Superman, I will give the two issue summary of Superman's origin from Action 977 and 978(6). Part of me wishes Action Comics #500, or Man of Steel or Birthright. They are far superior origins but don't apply for now. Then give the Man of Steel mini(7) by Bendis and continue with the current runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I'd say mediocre is being extremely generous, and could go on. But I'll just say as an introduction to Superman it's a really really poor choice.
    I am quite surprised to see Year One too, as its not completed yet. I thought the dialogue was terrible. But i think it had some genuinely good or great ideas. Clark with a small group of misfits whom he was trying to protect. The line about there can't be justice without truth. That's a line, Miller in his prime could have come out with. It gave a neat root to his eventual career as a reporter.

Imo its generous to call it a good comic too. But i am still intrigued. Imagine Miller writing this in the 80s. This could have been a classic.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 08-18-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

Really? But it's like only one-third published right now. Shouldn't we wait till it's all over before we recommend it to new readers, or do you think the first extended issue is strong enough as is to be confident in?
    It's a bit premature, I know. But I actually have recommended it to a friend, who is now collecting it (and is enjoying it), so I technically already have recommended it, so it was probably worth mentioning.

He and I were comic book fans before we were superhero fans. (We read war comics, horror comics, underground comics, Mad, Disney, Peanuts, etc, before getting into superhero stuff) So it's a bit hard to explain, but we kind of dig stuff that's a bit against mainstream traditions (whether it be Superman or other characters) and that's why we're both big fans of guys like Frank Miller (among others), who challenge mainstream traditions.

So when it comes to "recommending to first-time readers" it should be highlighted that a large number of people out there already have a very traditional-based perception of Superman (because he's so famous). So for those who have a preconceived idea of what a Superman story would look like, Year One is therefore (I would argue) an ideal recommendation (because it is likely to surprise said first-time reader ... similar in that regard to something like 'Red Son', for example)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Recommending the first issue of Year One is the best way to ensure a Batman fan for life.

It's a dumpster fire.
    Well, that's bollocks. But, then again, that's the wonderful thing about democracy. We're allowed to have different opinions, tastes and perceptions

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I usually like to chew on a story much more but I have to admit that jumping on a Frank Miller Year One as it's happening is a pretty cool experience.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    1948 - The Origin of Superman
    1961 - The Death of Superman!
    1972 - Must There Be a Superman?
    1977 - The Second Coming of Superman!
    1985 - For the Man Who Has Everything!
    1986 - Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
    1998 - Peace on Earth (from Dini/Ross)
    I haven't read peace on earth but I really like this list. Classic, would make a strong collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I like that review.
    Thanks!

Yeah, as I'm still pretty limited in my comic knowledge this might be one of the reasons I find his work so frustrating (but not the only reason). I should probably still give All Star a shot some day, but as is my current distaste for Morrison coupled with my feeling I got a good gist of it from the movie version makes it a low priority for me.
    Yeah for all it doesn't include I'm pretty confident in recommending the All Star movie. It's easier to digest because it's streamlined and more casuals are likely to watch 90 minutes over read 12 issues. The DVD was $5 at FYE and I once gave it to a co worker.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I'd like to narrow this down a little. For me it's important to have all eras represented, and also that everything be in continuity, to have actually "happened." I wouldn't want to confuse a new reader, who may be new to comics, with an Elseworlds story. Also, my sense of order demands that every decade be represented but with only 7 total and 80+ years of history that's not possible.

So how about something like this? These are spaced out fairly evenly.

Something from:

The late 1930s
    The early 1950s
    The mid 1960s
    The late 1970s
    The early 1990s
    The mid 2000s
    The late 2010s

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

As soon as you touch "what counts" or what all happened I have imagine you've likely already lost three quarters of your inquiring parties. Elseworlds are easy to get because they typically are self contained with high concepts, like war of the worlds or camelot. But since you were nice enough to break down your specifications:

Superman: the golden age dailies 1939-1940*
    Superman in the Fifties (Action 252, 254, 255, WFC 68)
    Superman in the Sixties (Superman 156, 161, 164)
    Adventures of Superman: Gil Kane (Superman 303, DCP 1-4, Superman vs Wonder Woman)
    Time and Time Again (one story arc)
    Superman and the Legion of Superheroes (one story arc)
    Man of Steel 2018 (one story arc)

* the late 30s are not really a period I can recommend, but more to the point the comics weren't really being produced like that. Superman the title came along in 1939 but was a long way from monthly
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I usually like to chew on a story much more but I have to admit that jumping on a Frank Miller Year One as it's happening is a pretty cool experience.

I haven't read peace on earth but I really like this list. Classic, would make a strong collection.

Thanks!

Yeah for all it doesn't include I'm pretty confident in recommending the All Star movie. It's easier to digest because it's streamlined and more casuals are likely to watch 90 minutes over read 12 issues. The DVD was $5 at FYE and I once gave it to a co worker.
    Thanks. I also like your list from the previous page. World's Finest: Worlds Apart (1990) is an all-time favorite of mine.

Fantastic Member

For the Man Who Has Everything
    What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?
    Birthright
    Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
    All Star Superman
    Superman and the Legion of Superheroes
    Superman: Brainiac