Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    These seven volumes present a wide variety of Batman stories from various eras and give a look at the many different sides of the Batman, allowing the person being introduced to discover for themselves what about Batman appeals to them and then explore more form a particular era of vision of the Batman.

-M
    I highly abhor "trades", but if I'd recommend one for starters, it'd be Batman in the Sixties. Free-wheeling fun action of Batman, Robin, and Batgirl, against the likes of Clayface, Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Blockbuster, Scarecrow, Killer Moth, and the Outsider.

For DCU
    Batman: Year One
    The Long Halloween
    Batman: Hush
    Tales of the Demon
    Son of the Demon
    Batman: Black & White
    Batman: War on Crime

For DCAU
    Batman Adventures (1992 series)
    Batman & Robin Adventures
    Batman: Gotham Adventures
    Batman Adventures (2003 series)
    Dini/Timm's Mad Love Special
    Dini/Timm's Holiday Special
    Justice League Adventures
    Last edited by K7P5V; 08-16-2019 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Made more additions.

I'd like to narrow this down a little. For me it's important to have all eras represented, and also that everything be in continuity, to have actually "happened." I wouldn't want to confuse a new reader, who may be new to comics, with an Elseworlds story. Also, my sense of order demands that every decade be represented but with only 7 total and 80+ years of history that's not possible.

So how about something like this? These are spaced out fairly evenly.

Something from:

The late 1930s
    The early 1950s
    The mid 1960s
    The late 1970s
    The early 1990s
    The mid 2000s
    The late 2010s

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Going back from Superman and Wonder Woman thread, I'll add that my preference goes like this
    1. The origin of the hero - Year One - Zero Year
    2. The Origin of the Villains - Man Who Laughs - Long Halloween/Dark Victory
    3. Turning Points - Death, Marriage, reveals or significant development - Killing Joke - Knightfall - A Death in The Family - Under The Red Hood - No Man's Land - The Court of Owls - Hush
    4. Grand Finale/Triumph - Stories that can be perceived as a good send-off - Endgame - Return of Bruce Wayne - Grant Morrison Batman and Robin - In Storybook Endings - Snyder's Batman #50

Those are just examples that cross my mind

So like a three-act structure divided by smaller story arcs

Long Halloween
    Year One
    Killing Joke
    Death in the Family
    Lonely Place of Dying
    Dark Knight Returns
    Court of Owls
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Fantastic Member

Year One
    The Killing Joke
    Mad Love
    The Long Halloween
    Hush
    Batman and Son
    Court of Owls

My husband starter with Hush, and the only things he didn't get where about the three Robins. So I gave him Dark Victory, Death in the Family and A lonely Place of Dying. Then, of course, Under the Hood and Batman and Son. That makes six. I will add Batgirl:Year One or The Killing Joke

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Very interesting thread idea!

Digestible chunks:

Batman: Year One
    Batman: Knightfall: the radio drama (because the original run is just so long, though the new trades are really nice)
    Batgirl: Stephanie Brown (the first volume, if I had to only choose one)
    Batman: The Black Mirror
    Batman Incorporated Vol 1.
    Detective Comics Annual #1 (collected in Dark Knight Detective vol. 2)
    Batman Annual #2

I mostly choose these because I think they're the most fun, satisfying, and well crafted stories that say something interesting about Batman. Year One is still unmatched in the way it sets out Batman's origin, Knightfall the radio drama is a really excellent encapsulation of the Knightfall run, Batgirl: Stephanie Brown highlights the inspiration of Batman in one of the best and most enjoyable ways I've ever seen, The Black Mirror is simply a phenomenal story and I view it as a worthy sequel to Year One, Batman Incoporated vol 1 is the MOST exciting change in status quo for Batman I've ever lived through, the Detective Comics Annual #1 by Denny O'Neil and Klaus Janson is simply a masterful story highlighting the more tragic side of Batman's mission, and Batman Annual #2 by King, Lee Weeks, and Michael Lark highlights a more hopeful vision of Batman's mission.

Full Runs:
    Tynion - from Batman Eternal to Detective Comics
    King
    Knightfall, full saga (new trades)
    Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive
    Catclysm/No Man's Land

I choose these because I think they're very representative of a whole view of Batman - Tynion represents Batman the leader and teacher, King represents Batman the vulnerable human trying to save others, Knightfall shows the first time DC attempted to look at why Batman has to operate the way he does instead of becoming Darker and Edgier (namely, killing), Bruce Wayne: Murderer shows the impact Batman's heroism and his brokenness has on the people who love him, and Cataclysm/No Man's Land is just an incredible story of disaster and heroism - and the best version of that story for Batman, I think, given that Dark Knight Rises, Zero Year, and a few others have tried to show Batman fighting in a world that's lost civilization.

(All of these runs are more complex than the simple one phrase I'm giving them, of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    I'd like to narrow this down a little. For me it's important to have all eras represented, and also that everything be in continuity, to have actually "happened." I wouldn't want to confuse a new reader, who may be new to comics, with an Elseworlds story. Also, my sense of order demands that every decade be represented but with only 7 total and 80+ years of history that's not possible.
    I don't really recommend this. Both personally, as I don't really enjoy stuff from pre-Crisis, and because most of those really don't reflect on what they'd probably be able to buy most easily or see on movie screens.

If you really want that, just give them the 75th Anniversary Celebration volume, as someone else has recommended in the thread.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord