Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Event Leviathan issue 3 spoiler discussion

Damn, that last page, though, right?

Seriously though, this is probably the strongest issue of the 3 so far. I liked the structure of the issue. Alex Maleev renders a captivating and down to Earth superhero fight, and Bendis lights the art speak for itself.

The Jason fake out was expected, but I enjoyed the idea that Jason himself knew he was the patsy because this seemed like something most would assume he'd do, and part of him sees the merit in the structure of the idea of Leviathan. He even brings up the fact that because Leviathan has access to all of the secret organizations' info they have the rundown of the whole superhuman community. I hadn't even stopped to realize that before he said it.

I starting to like Amanda Waller quite a bit. Interested to see how things turn out for her in the end.

Anyways, I'm totally doubling down on my original pick for Stephanie Brown being Leviathan. "Daddy issue" sealed it for me.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I have a problem with how quickly Lois got to street level from the top of the building. Considering she didn't have help from her husband or son.

Well, there's unaccounted for time between his fight with Batman and Robin that ends in a pool of water, and Manhunter going after him. I imagine it was around then that she got down there.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I'm kind of leaning toward "Leviathan" actually being more than one person, which would open up both Arrow, Sam Lane, maybe Batgirl, and others now. I think the Waller scene here was in part designed to do throw that off. Taking away the focus from the assembled detectives to a scene with Leviathan that seemed to occur concurrently. Also the fact that Leviathan's appearance is implied to basically be like a focus group tested disguise, and setting up a "We are Leviathan" type thing. I liked the Fortress scene, even with Damian's dialogue being off. Lois and Red Hood was great.

Another thought just occurred to me, kinda related here. Green Arrow left his box that could take down the Justice League at the end of his series, I've seen some people kick that around as being part of how Leviathan has been able to rise so quickly. But maybe that is what Luthor offered to Lois - it's a box with something glowing inside. I'm curious if he's passed that along to Lois as his "gift?"

Sorry not buying it. Everybody jumped except her. Both fights were quick. They were no more than 4 pages. For me, she wouldn't have gone down there that quick.

There's three separate fights before she meets up with Jason. There's the first fall, then the fight with Damian in the fountain, then Jason leaves and fights with Manhunter on the street. There's no real indication where that Manhunter fight takes place or how long afterwards. I mean, it's fast, but never occured to me that it was weird.

I haven't followed this completely, is Leviathan really all that bad? Has he/she killed? Because of it not, well, Lois has daddy issues too. Just sayin.

If Leviathan has taken lives this can't work, but again, I haven't kept up so someone will set me straight.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    There's three separate fights before she meets up with Jason. There's the first fall, then the fight with Damian in the fountain, then Jason leaves and fights with Manhunter on the street. There's no real indication where that Manhunter fight takes place or how long afterwards. I mean, it's fast, but never occured to me that it was weird.
    Manhunter said they left Lois on the roof. She then asked Lois how she was able to talk to Jason. Lois said something stupid like "The was on the roof when then report was on the roof." Then it went to her talking to him, never explaining how she got down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I haven't followed this completely, is Leviathan really all that bad? Has he/she killed? Because of it not, well, Lois has daddy issues too. Just sayin.

If Leviathan has taken lives this can't work, but again, I haven't kept up so someone will set me straight.
    It's unclear. The lack of bodies at the disaster sites has been stressed a ton, implying they are teleporting the people they want to recruit but destroying structures. The only really confirmed death is the one agent last issue. Director Bones as poisoned, but that appears to have been Talia who went off on her own. Sam Lane survived.

Lois doesn't work for me mainly because it doesn't fit at all with Bendis' plans for the character or Rucka's take on her character. I don't see either of them thinking putting her at that position would work. Especially Rucka. Sam Lane, I definitely could see that. And Rucka has hinted that Leviathan's resolution will impact the second half of her miniseries - or rather we'd see some of the repercussions there.

Bendis can't write Damian at all.

Normally Bendis somehow gets really good artists, but the artist for this was the exact wrong kind of art it needed.

So much dialogue, but once again, not much happens aside from Waller being confronted by Leviathan for real.

Quote Originally Posted by MeGrimlock420 View Post
    Manhunter said they left Lois on the roof. She then asked Lois how she was able to talk to Jason. Lois said something stupid like "The was on the roof when then report was on the roof." Then it went to her talking to him, never explaining how she got down there.
    She asked when she talked to Jason, because Manhunter was out cold for that conversation. But are you saying she had to have teleported down or that it's just sloppy writing?

It's kind of a classic trope in cop shows, etc. The criminal makes a getaway out of a window or something, one goes after him. The second partner realizes where they are going and just cuts them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

Lois herself actually assuming people are dying when she's talking to Jason about Leviathan. But several people have come to the conclusion that Leviathan is using teleport tech, and Superman confirms it.

It's also worth noting that, outside of Talia's splinter group in the Superman special, Leviathan doesn't seem to use lethal arms. Even on the cover to this issue, we only see them holding a stun gun.

That said, this issue ends with Leviathan says that they've brought Amanda Waller's "firing squad" depending on her choice. But Waller remarks that Leviathan is a con artist, and even their mask arithmetically designed to evoke the right amount of fear, and leadership confidence.

The con artist remark makes me think of Steph because her dad was a failed game show host--a literal showmen who became a theatrical criminal.

I'm personally not seeing that suggest it's Lois.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    She asked when she talked to Jason, because Manhunter was out cold for that conversation. But are you saying she had to have teleported down or that it's just sloppy writing?

It's kind of a classic trope in cop shows, etc. The criminal makes a getaway out of a window or something, one goes after him. The second partner realizes where they are going and just cuts them off.
    In the comic, before Manhunter get knocked out. It shows them talking at the fortress of solitude. That's when Manhunter asks how Lois got down to street level so quickly when left on the roof. It cuts back to Manhunter getting knocked out and Lois somehow standing close by with no explanation.

Always Rakzo

Thought this was a solid issue. Nice ongoing mystery, nice escalation, solid enough characterization, etc.

If I had a complaint though is that I don't really dig Bendis' portrayal of Green Arrow. He barely does anything aside from the occasional joke and action when I thought he was going to contribute more but even more frustrating is that he's just... there from a personality stand-point, nothing really bad but nothing remarkable and most definitely lacking the classic flaws from his most famous stories. Is pretty much Green Arrow at face value (which pretty much was how Ben Percy wrote him and that was just not good).

Art was pretty good. Good as a whole.

Mighty Member

This issue only solidified my belief that Leviathan is Ollie, as this was the second time he stopped someone from talking at a key moment in this series. Plus, he seemed really interested in Amanda Waller. I would love to be proven wrong, but that's the way I see this going.

Also, Bendis definitely can't write Damian.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers