Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

What's with this Immortal Hulk being OP when he almost lost to Possessed Sasquatch, the Pretty Boy, the Avengers, Absorbing Man, Abomination 2019 and like twice to BUSHWHACKER?

What book are you guys reading? C'mon.
    "Cable was right!"

WHO WIN IN FIGHT

One IMMORTAL HULK

or

1,000,000 FLASHLIGHT

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    What's with this Immortal Hulk being OP when he almost lost to Possessed Sasquatch, the Pretty Boy, the Avengers, Absorbing Man, Abomination 2019 and like twice to BUSHWHACKER?

It was explained that possessed Sasquatch was amped to Hulks level, the "pretty boy" blew a hole in Hulk that didn't even phase him, he one-shot every single Avenger, Absorbing Man was amped by Red Hulk juice and later on even Hulks own power and still lost, Abomination had acid that counters Hulk healing and Hulk still one-shot him and Buschwacker had as much of a effect on Hulk as "pretty boy".

I feel like you are reaching way too hard here. The one that had the best chance of beating IH for good was the new Abomination, the rest never even came close to the "almost" part.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Then have Thing powerup and splatter Hulk's head across the island. Get a rivalry going.

Don't just shut off one characters powerset.

Edit: To clarify I want to see more competitive fights between Hulk and Thing. I think they've been missing from current comics, but that means you gotta raise Grimm up a bit, and show him capable of inflicting the necessary damage on the Hulk to make him notice.
    Doesn’t this feat do that? This is a stronger Hulk than normal that Ben managed to KO with his strongest punch ever after getting beaten up pretty bad. So when Hulk inevitably reverts back to normal levels after Ewing’s run is over, their fights will be more interesting.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I thought the last few issues were great. I've never read the FF before, but it's on my monthly list now.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Doesn’t this feat do that? This is a stronger Hulk than normal that Ben managed to KO with his strongest punch ever after getting beaten up pretty bad. So when Hulk inevitably reverts back to normal levels after Ewing’s run is over, their fights will be more interesting.
    It's a questionable feat for one thing. Mainly due to lack of actual physical damage. Why would a concussion work on a guy who can keep fighting with most of his brain gone

Second, unless Thing keeps operating at the level he needs to be to stay competitive, then this is just jobbing. Spider-Man beat Firelord that one time. He's not a cosmic level character currently.

In the past Hulk be was jobbed out a lot, to Cap, to Spider-Man, Doc Ock etc. Writer's wrote a lower level Hulk, which resulted in lower and lower sales.

Then PAK came along, cranked his strength back up and put him a great cosmic space opera. This sold well.

After that, they cranked him back down, tried to tell more traditional superhero stories and stuck him on the Avengers to co-worf with Thor. Didn't sell well.

So they killed Hulk off. Brought on Chi, brought in Pak, tried to tell a more traditional superhero story, only be with more goofiness.

Didn't sell well.

Ewing and Bennett resurrect Hulk. Pump strength back up (definitely not Green Scar levels though.). Make him Immortal. They tell a cosmic horror story, with lots of body horror. It sells well.

Hulk generally doesn't do too well when you anchor him to the traditional superhero stories, or "the team brick" levels of strength.

Hulk works best as this anomalous well of power. The shape of a man. If Marvel starts putting Thing on that level, I'm all for it.

If they want to lower Hulk to Thing's level though, I'll pass.

iMan 42s

I'm pretty sure Immortal Hulk was definitive in how this wouldn't work on this version of the Hulk. When your brain is separated from the rest of your body and you can still function independently of that, I don't think a concussion from Thing is going to do it. Or at the very least have the same results as it did considering his limbs operate independently from the brain.

Now attacking the brain would temporarily incapacitate Bruce, but now with Immortal Hulk that's out the window. Hulk has to be beaten down to the point you "kill" him so it takes longer for him to regenerate. That's why you need heavy hitters and the Helios laser. You have to keep pounding Devil Hulk, you can't just give him a concussion you have to break his face open. Then again given who was writing it I doubt he'd do that.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think this was one of Slott's better outings and maybe it's because that Ben finally got a win over the Hulk. I had no idea what was going on with the Immortal Hulk. Thanks to all who posted about his current status. I've not kept up with his series since Fall of the Hulks (which I thought was a lot of fun)

I think we can all agree that the Puppet Master is a bad stepfather and a sneaky jerk. At times he has had some degree of normalcy, as when he was really worried about Alicia when Ben broke the news to him that Lyja the Skrull was impersonating her. As far as I know, Phillip Masters has never killed anyone and just manipulates people. So when I got to the ending, I found it a more that a little cruel. Was Slott saying he deserved this kind of brutality or was he showing how horrible this Immortal Hulk is? Or both? I just found that part too dark.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I really liked the letter by Devon Kondas on his love for Dr Doom, and Tom Brevoort’s attempt to argue that Doom has a variety of character traits. Like Devon, I don’t buy it. Infamous Iron Man was a refreshing take on a Doom trying to be a better man. To have Doom revert so quickly to the cackling villain again at the first sign of the Fantastic Four is not explainable as the many facets of Doom. I think it needs more explanation than that. I agree with Devon that Secret Wars was the culmination of all of Dooms dreams his whole life. When you think of Dooms first appearance in FF #4, and the motivations he had right from the start, Secret Wars was all Doom wanted to have for so long, 1962 to 2015. You could say Doom was the alpha and omega of the Marvel Universe. There is an argument to say the MU is here now because of Doom, not just because Doom started the Incursions, but that he made it possible for Reed Richards to survive and create ANAD. All the conflict that has been between Richards and Doom has been about a difference of world view. Richards has been optimistic and romantic. Doom has been brutal and functional. I wonder, myself, which world view is reflective of history. It’s hard for me to divorce the two world views, so I think they are both right.
    I felt the same way about that letter and I wish now that I had wrote in to the comic. The writer brings out the same things that have been discussed among us here at CBR. As for your Secret Wars analysis, I agree with that esp when you look at their solutions. Doom was going for broke and taking on the Beyonders to stop the plan from succeediing. The only thing Reed came up with was to save some special people (some of whom refused and preferred to remain until the end) in an arc to help build a new world. Reed was selective. Doom saved all that he could, the good with the bad (the Zombiverse).

Looking forward to Cantwell's Doctor Doom series. If his War Scrolls story with Doom is any indication, I'm thinking he may give us something better than what Slott did.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-16-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Subzero89 View Post
    It was explained that possessed Sasquatch was amped to Hulks level, the "pretty boy" blew a hole in Hulk that didn't even phase him, he one-shot every single Avenger, Absorbing Man was amped by Red Hulk juice and later on even Hulks own power and still lost, Abomination had acid that counters Hulk healing and Hulk still one-shot him and Buschwacker had as much of a effect on Hulk as "pretty boy".

I feel like you are reaching way too hard here. The one that had the best chance of beating IH for good was the new Abomination, the rest never even came close to the "almost" part.
    Yep, to n terms of brute power he's staggering, Ben really should have been a walk over

Though Ben has knocked hulk out before when he was tied up by Mr fantastic

Ben's won with an asterisk. I'm a big Thing backer, but the outcome didn't bother me. If I had any problem with the story, it was the lack of confidence Ben had before the Alicia meeting. He's always had an awareness when a foe's outmatched him, but he hasn't been down like that before. But I can live with the story.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Yep, to n terms of brute power he's staggering, Ben really should have been a walk over

Though Ben has knocked hulk out before when he was tied up by Mr fantastic
    I mean if it was written in any other book he would have been, Immortal Hulk already 2-shot Ben in the Secret Empire event, but obviously Slott wanted to give Ben his big moment which is fine.

Yea but he was not just tied by Reed there, he had Sue's bubble over his head to prevent him from breathing and Torch was even using his fire to take out all the oxygen from the bubble and Hulks lungs and while Hulk was struggling with all that Ben hit him and put him out, also this was like 50 years ago, i am not sure how relevant it is for today.

Mighty Member

i'm not a fan of this issue, but I don't understand the problem with the ending: He knocked out the Immortal Hulk but he directly went into coma: maybe the Hulk woke up 1 minutes after, we don't know. And the Hulk was controlled by the puppet master.

But Ben really need to get a power-up. Every other members of the family are "omega" characters: Sue Storm can fight celestials, Johnny can go nova and be as destructive as a star, Reed is the smartest man of the world. Ben is the only one who don"t seem to have a superior characteristic.
    Last edited by lordozone; 08-16-2019 at 07:19 PM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    i'm not a fan of this issue, but I don't understand the problem with the ending: He knocked out the Immortal Hulk but he directly went into coma: maybe the Hulk woke up 1 minutes after, we don't know. And the Hulk was controlled by the puppet master.

But Ben really need to get a power-up. Every other members of the family are "omega" characters: Sue Storm can fight celestials, Johnny can go nova and be as destructive as a star, Reed is the smartest man of the world. Ben is the only one who don"t seem to have a superior characteristic.
    IIRC, in Hickman's FF it was revealed that the older he gets, the stronger Ben will be. Maybe they just need to accelerate that process.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post

Not sure what books you are reading. The Hulk took the Avengers apart with ease. He cracked Thor’s skull. The Avengers limped away after being soundly beaten. He pretty much beat the rest too. Abomination was probably the toughest.

I’m glad Ben won after decades of losing but we all know he won because of Slott writing that win. Even in Marvel fiction the Thing is no match for this Hulk. If you compare the Hulk vs the Avengers to the Hulk vs the Thing it doesn’t make sense. That means Ben would wipe the floor with the Avengers and we know that would never happen.

I wonder how Ewing feels about this? Slott May be laying on the floor out cold himself right now.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Not sure what books you are reading. The Hulk took the Avengers apart with ease. He cracked Thor’s skull. The Avengers limped away after being soundly beaten. He pretty much beat the rest too. Abomination was probably the toughest.

I’m glad Ben won after decades of losing but we all know he won because of Slott writing that win. Even in Marvel fiction the Thing is no match for this Hulk. If you compare the Hulk vs the Avengers to the Hulk vs the Thing it doesn’t make sense. That means Ben would wipe the floor with the Avengers and we know that would never happen.

I wonder how Ewing feels about this? Slott May be laying on the floor out cold himself right now.
    Ewing said he was happy with it, though he was asked specifically how he felt about the narration of the Hulk/Thing scene. He also mentioned how in IH 24 he briefly goes into something Hulk/Thing related though he also said it wont be a rematch per se.

I am thinking he probably adds something and says Hulk was weakened or adds some other context to that fight with Ben, we will see.