Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
...but I think Peter needs someone he can talk to about all of this that he isn't dating or is not a superhero.
Zdarsky gave him Jonah to do that. And before that, JMS gave him Ezekiel.

...Theresa fits that role.
As a SHIELD agent and super-spy in an outfit and so on, not sure if Theresa fits that role. She's a superheroine in the Maria Hill and Co. mode.

I just think it's too Silver Age-y in the bad sense and too redolent of the Garfield Spidey movies which made a big to-do about Peter's biological family and so on. And ultimately all it communicates is a "lack of connection". Teresa has no connection to Aunt May who is Peter's mother. No connection to Peter's childhood and so on. Peter didn't grow up mourning a lost sister and so on. It just feels random and external to what Peter and his readers always saw as his real family background. Some vague connection to Lee's controversial Annual story about Peter's SHIELD parents, a subplot and story that has always been controversial to begin with and which the way Lee did it, was a one-and-done thing.

I know a lot of people complain about Mary Jane's family background and so on but at least her family history and connections and their distance from Peter's daily life has a proper explanation, reason, and emotional clarity. Teresa just feels random. I don't think anyone at Marvel should have allowed Mark Waid to do that story in Family Business to start with. I have no problems with how Zdarsky used it but as I said, I think eventually you have to write her out and close her out of the story entirely.