View Poll Results: How would you rate Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent. One of the best current ongoing Spidey series.

4 10.26%
  • Very Good. It has some minor flaws, but still very good Spider-man Series

12 30.77%
  • Good. Solid series but the series could improve more.

8 20.51%
  • Okay. Nothing terribly bad but nothing spectacularly good either.

9 23.08%
  • Bad. Yeah, this series doesn't work for me.

6 15.38%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Post How would you rate Tom Talyor's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Series?

Since the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man has reached ten issue. I thought it would be nice time to start this discussion.

How do you guys feel about Tom Talyor's Friendy Neighborhood Spider-Man series? What is the strength and weakness of Talyor's writing from your perspective?
    What could have done better for the series and what do you guys see more for the upcoming issues?

Personally, I really like the series. It is the nice, heartwarming series that focuses on Peter's more neighbor adventure along with Spencer's core series.

I think Peter's interaction with other characters is the best of the part in the series; though I'm kind of mixed feeling about the new character Rumor.

Overall, I would give this series a solid 8-9 out of 10. How about you guys?

I loved it at the start. Spider bite was easily one of my favorite one shot issues I had ever read from Spider-Man even if it was essentially a re telling of a classic story. After that I feel things went a bit downhill. Hopefully it picks back up because I could see this title getting cancelled simply cause it seems as if it has no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    I loved it at the start. Spider bite was easily one of my favorite one shot issues I had ever read from Spider-Man even if it was essentially a re telling of a classic story. After that I feel things went a bit downhill. Hopefully it picks back up because I could see this title getting cancelled simply cause it seems as if it has no direction.
    I feel the same. I thought it started quite strong and I was really enjoying it. Here lately, though I do feel it has slowed quite a bit and it is on the chopping block of my pull list. I will give it another couple of issues to see if things pick up.

I do really enjoy how Taylor writes Peter and the art overall has been pretty solid.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

I am a Tom Taylor fan so I like it. Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man feels very Paul Jenkins-ish and so on. That's great. I love Issue #1 and I love the Spider-Bite one-shot.

On the whole this is exactly what a second series should be.

Astonishing Member

It’s just been forgettable. It’s not bad, but it’s not good either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I feel the same. I thought it started quite strong and I was really enjoying it. Here lately, though I do feel it has slowed quite a bit and it is on the chopping block of my pull list. I will give it another couple of issues to see if things pick up.

I do really enjoy how Taylor writes Peter and the art overall has been pretty solid.
    Same here. It’s on the chopping block for Me as well. I’m trying to hold on because I’m looking at this title as the little engine that could.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

I quite like it but will never forgive them for stealing Woodard and Cabal from Tamaki’s X-23
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    I quite like it but will never forgive them for stealing Woodard and Cabal from Tamaki’s X-23
    Personally, I'd love to see Laura and Gabby written by Tom Taylor again, in a team-up with the Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Arrow

I voted okay - Good, a solid series but the series could improve more. So, about an average run, IMO. Some interesting elements, nothing that really stands out but nothing overtly bad or boring either in the final analysis.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    It’s just been forgettable. It’s not bad, but it’s not good either.
    I agree. I liked the last issue, but other than that, I've been very ambivalent about this series as a whole.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Astonishing Member

I miss Chip Zdarsky’s Spec Spider-Man. Much better satellite Spidey book.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I miss Chip Zdarsky’s Spec Spider-Man. Much better satellite Spidey book.
    I feel the same way. Zdarsky’s tenure might have started slow, however, by its conclusion it was one of the best satellite book runs of all time, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I feel the same way. Zdarsky’s tenure might have started slow, however, by its conclusion it was one of the best satellite book runs of all time, IMO.
    I’d disagree about “all time.” JM DeMatteis’ early 90s Spec run holds that distinction for me.
    But definitely one of the best runs of the 2010s, and the stronger of the two books when Slott was still on ASM.

As someone mentioned, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man holds a special place in my heart as it reminds me of Peter Parker: Spider-Man by Paul Jenkins. I think we're forgetting how long it took that book to truly find its footing, and I think FNSM is the same way. The book as it is now is solid, could improve, but it's pretty good. Taylor writes a strong Peter, and the story, while truly ancillary to ASM, is told well. The art is great - Juann Cabal is one of the better modern Spidey artists to draw the character, and I love Ken Lashley's art from the ASM Gibbon tie-in and this series. I've not read most of Taylor's work outside of Injustice (which is fantastic) but I hope he finds his stride. I just read that Marvel seemingly did intend on cancelling the series with issue #12, but that decision was reversed when the solicits (and the story) changed. So, I'm thinking he's got a good story planned that'll really solidify his place as a Spidey writer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I’d disagree about “all time.” JM DeMatteis’ early 90s Spec run holds that distinction for me.
    But definitely one of the best runs of the 2010s, and the stronger of the two books when Slott was still on ASM.
    To be honest, I think Zdarsky's run is mostly okay, above average, and entertaining but it has two masterpieces -- "My Dinner with Jonah" and #310 -- that raises the value of the "okay". Like that entire alternate-timeline romp with Jonah an so on. Not especially interesting in itself, except that it allows Zdarsky to show that he can write a really good, and really scary, Norman Osborn. But seeing Jonah sustain that change from that dinner story is interesting.

Spectacular Spider-Man has historically been a fairly consistent title -- Conway in his starting years, Mantlo who really made Spectacular something that could last, then PAD, followed by JMD...and even then, Spectacular ended well with that Goblins at the Gate story. And revived well under Jenkins and following him Zdarsky.