Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Did you love OMD first time around? Well...

... Mephisto claimed another true love in today's Doctor Strange. In exchange for helping give Strange the opportunity to restore reality after it was wiped out by a magically empowered Galactus, Mephisto called in his favour and, surprise surprise, it was Clea's love for Stephen. Which Stephen did by wiping himself from her memory.

The fact Stephen chose to do it rather than Mephisto (who gave him the choice of either himself or Stephen carrying it out), hopefully means there is a built in way to reverse it in the future.

There is a small thread discussing it over in the Marvel section of the forums, but figured more chatter would come from on here. So what do you think about Marvel giving the go ahead to do another OMD? I have been loving Waid's run and trust he will do something with it (this is the same guy who disfigured Reed and killed off The Thing during his F4 run, only to reverse it before he left the title.)

BANNED

Mark Waid is in all likelihood one of the secret architects of One More Day.

Before OMD, Waid along with Grant Morrison and Mark Millar wrote Superman 2000, (https://sites.google.com/site/deepsp...-2000-proposal) that involved Superman trading his marriage to Lois Lane to Mr. Mxyzsptlk in exchange for "one last, perfect day".

Grant Morrison in interviews more or less implied that Waid was the guy who was most keen on ending the Superman-Lois marriage.

So in all likelihood the Mephisto Strange thing there is Waid reclaiming a story concept that he had created and so on.

I will say that Mephisto being an anti-matchmaker has made him a bit of a laughing stock. Among other things, OMD ruined him as a character too.

I am not a big fan of Mark Waid. I like some of his stories but on the whole I find him highly regressive.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

Before OMD, Waid along with Grant Morrison and Mark Millar wrote Superman 2000, (https://sites.google.com/site/deepsp...-2000-proposal) that involved Superman trading his marriage to Lois Lane to Mr. Mxyzsptlk in exchange for "one last, perfect day".

Grant Morrison in interviews more or less implied that Waid was the guy who was most keen on ending the Superman-Lois marriage.

So in all likelihood the Mephisto Strange thing there is Waid reclaiming a story concept that he had created and so on.

I will say that Mephisto being an anti-matchmaker has made him a bit of a laughing stock. Among other things, OMD ruined him as a character too.

I am not a big fan of Mark Waid. I like some of his stories but on the whole I find him highly regressive.
    He is very hit and miss with me these days. I loved his first run on Daredevil (but not the second.) He handles Cap well. I also enjoyed his F4. His Avengers run was a dud, though.

Astonishing Member

I laughed once I had finished it. Just because it takes huge balls to touch something that is still derisive to this day.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-16-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Wily Waid's only mediocre Marvel book is Indestructible Hulk, although I haven't read SHIELD yet.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Wily Waid's only mediocre Marvel book is Indestructible Hulk, although I haven't read SHIELD yet.
    Waid's Indestructible Hulk started off very well. I've always blamed editorial interference for the failure of that run.

It got pushed into too many crossovers, causing the interesting set-up and supporting cast to be pushed aside.

Other than that, Waid's Marvel work has always been solid, and occasionally inspired.

I've been loving his Strange run so far and have found it to be even better than Cates' well-received run. Haven't read the new issue for myself yet.

Astonishing Member

I didnt love it, but I was at least entertained. But I am one of those guys whose fave story is the clone saga (the one with Ben) and Sins Past...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    There is a small thread discussing it over in the Marvel section of the forums, but figured more chatter would come from on here. So what do you think about Marvel giving the go ahead to do another OMD? I have been loving Waid's run and trust he will do something with it (this is the same guy who disfigured Reed and killed off The Thing during his F4 run, only to reverse it before he left the title.)
    It has been a while since I last read the exploits of Doc Strange, but let me tell you this.

No, I believe it is a bad idea to rub that in again (the thread title).

And every time there is an undesirable retcon - happened in Spider-Man, then in Superman - I would not touch a new issue of them until something "changes".

So, I guess that means I won't touch Strange again until that "change" comes.
    Last edited by ngroove; 08-15-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Thumbs up

OP Question -

Nope, I did not enjoy OMD the first time around. it was a terrible, nonsensical story which serves to prove exactly why editorial inference is never a good thing.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The issue made me think of OMD, absolutely. And it was poignant that Strange and Cleo were just starting to maybe get back together just prior to her slipping away. So very much like OMD in the way that was built up, too. But this issue actually felt like the kind of bargain Mephisto might make, and he actually implied that in the process he was given a small piece of Clea's soul. So in that sense, this was way better and more demonic than OMD. In OMD the devil gets absolutely nothing in the deal and Peter gets everything.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    In OMD the devil gets absolutely nothing in the deal and Peter gets everything.
    Just made me think the only losers in OMD were the fans.

...Well, at least those that valued Peters marriage/relationship with Mary Jane.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

Even more proof: Mark Waid wrote the story "Hell to pay" (The Flash vol2. nș127-129, 1997) where the titular hero (Wally West) had to sell his love to the devil meanwhile he tricked Flash by making her girlfriend to do the same deal with him too. But the love between them was so strong than the devil, Neron, had to give it them back, because he was starting to act as a good, caritative person.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Waid's Indestructible Hulk started off very well. I've always blamed editorial interference for the failure of that run.

It got pushed into too many crossovers, causing the interesting set-up and supporting cast to be pushed aside.

Other than that, Waid's Marvel work has always been solid, and occasionally inspired.

I've been loving his Strange run so far and have found it to be even better than Cates' well-received run. Haven't read the new issue for myself yet.
    Mark Waid's Indestructible Hulk had some interesting ideas in it but they were executed very poorly. No explanation for why Savage Hulk was back, why Banner was back to trying to cure himself, ( he dropped it in the first panels admittedly, but he'd given up on that back in the PAD days and explicitly after the House of M tie in. And admitted again in PAK days. And again at the end of Duggan's run. Which shared a lot of problems).

There was no explanation or set up for this. He wrote the Hulk/Banner as if he was picking the character up from the Silver Age.

Add that with a goofier light-hearted tone (at least for a Hulk book) and I just got the feeling he didn't get the Hulk. Or rather I got the feeling he just didn't care enough to try.

Edit:. The armor looked dumb. I actually defended it from a practical standpoint to protect Banner, but it looked dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Just made me think the only losers in OMD were the fans.

...Well, at least those that valued Peters marriage/relationship with Mary Jane.
    Especially fans that liked MJ. Mephisto walks away clean, Peter gets every manchild's dream and MJ got the blame.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Especially fans that liked MJ. Mephisto walks away clean, Peter gets every manchild's dream and MJ got the blame.
    Not only that but she got excluded from most Spider-Man stories to a ridiculous degree afterward.