Default Golden Age Green Arrow and Speedy

From their first appearance in More Fun Comics #73 (November 1941):

And from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. IX (November 1985):

as well as Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XXI (November 1986):

NOTE: Both of those issues of Who's Who had "More Fun Comics #73" as the first appearances for the Golden Age versions of Green Arrow and Speedy, as well as separate entries for the then "current" (Silver Age +) Green Arrow and Speedy that listed Adventure Comics #250 (July 1958) as the first appearances for those entries. Adventure Comics #250 appears to be the first of Jack Kirby's run on the characters.

Always Rakzo

Highly underrated incarnation of these characters.

I'm tired of the Silver and Bronze Age pandering for Green Arrow, I wish they would return to their actual roots. Shame that Lemire's run was cut short since it had a pretty similar adventure-oriented direction.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

I haven't bought the GOLDEN AGE GREEN ARROW OMNIBUS, although I have thought about doing so.

GAgreenarrow.jpg

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I was actually surprised when I saw the first issue of Green Arrow 75th Anniversary has him already partnered with Speedy. My first thought was... did they skip some issues? Because I thought, like Batman and Superman, their family didn't come out until later. Did they look at Batman's rising sales after Robin was introduced and decided to just go straight to debut him with a sidekick?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I was actually surprised when I saw the first issue of Green Arrow 75th Anniversary has him already partnered with Speedy. My first thought was... did they skip some issues? Because I thought, like Batman and Superman, their family didn't come out until later. Did they look at Batman's rising sales after Robin was introduced and decided to just go straight to debut him with a sidekick?
    Back in the Golden Age, there were many times when kid sidekicks were introduced right away (I believe under the theory that if kids are the primary buyers of comic books, they'd be interested in kid sidekicks).
    In Captain America's first appearance they also introduced Bucky right away.

Mighty Member

Was "The Cyclone Kid" moniker for Speedy ever used again after that first appearance? The Cyclone Kids (Hunkels) had debuted several months earlier in 1941, so it seems odd that Speedy would get that label later that year.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    I haven't bought the GOLDEN AGE GREEN ARROW OMNIBUS, although I have thought about doing so.

GAgreenarrow.jpg
    Beat me to it. I've thought about getting this off and on since it came out. The price has kept me from doing so. I'm that rare breed that kind of likes the GA version of most characters more than their modern versions. Superman comes to mind. I only have two Golden Age Green Arrow stories (GA, GA?). One of them is his origin. The other is a reprint of Superboy's first appearance.
    Assassinate Putin!

A few more pages from More Fun Comics #73 (November 1941):