BANNED

Default Question about war of realms tie ins

There’s a ton of tie ins like giant man, strike force, agents of atlas, X-men, daredevil, etc

My question is are the tie ins good reads? And a better question is are they essential reads or can I just read the main series?

Mighty Member

The tie-ins are on par with the general quality of this event: not bad, but nothing exceptional either. And no, they are not essentials, the event is self-contained.
    Last edited by lordozone; 08-16-2019 at 06:34 AM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

BANNED

Anyone else read the tie ins?

I did not read the tie ins, but I did read the main book.
    What it does is reference heavily the tie ins.
    "Ok everyone, we are going to break up into 4 teams." (Conveniently, the 4 tie ins.) "If you want to know the specifics of those teams, go read that miniseries, otherwise you'll get an overview next issue."

Or later in the series. "Who was defending New York, why it was the Fantastic Four, go read about their exploits in their tie in."
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Several notable events happened in the tie-ins:

Uncanny X-Men: Dani Moonstar lost her Valkyrie powers.
    Champions: Cyclops reunites with the team, and Dust joins them on his recommendation.
    Agents of Atlas: First appearances for Luna Snow, Crescent, Io, Sword Master, Aero, and Wave. Ms. Marvel quits the former Protectors team (which appeared in Totally Awesome Hulk) just before these new members join.
    Superior Spider-Man: Final appearance of the new West Coast Avengers team, since their book had already been cancelled. Gwenpool went solo again and Quentin is joining X-Force, so they must've disbanded after this.
    Fantastic Four: The team's first encounter with Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It's a bit hit and miss. some tie ins contribute to the main plot fairly significantly, though you could probably follow along more or less without them, but they do give additional details that may make for a richer experience, like the Thor tie-in issues, the Strikeforce issues, the Daredevil story in War Scrolls.... some are kind of borderline like Asgardians of the Galaxy, Spider-Man and the League of Realms, because they show how certain factions under Malekith's control were defeated, but the hows of their defeats are not technically important to the resolution. The rest, though some of them have fun stories (i like the Squirrel Girl one, and Giant-Man personally) they're not really contributing anything to following the event. Either the events they show were adequately covered in the main event, or the events just were not directly contributing to the main plot much at all.

Oh and if you are interested in reading the Punisher mini out now, then his tie-in issues would be kind of essential to follow. Loki's series, his tie-in in Thor and his War Scrolls story would help give some context to where he's at (maaaaaaaaaybe Giant-Man, but that's more of a guess, just because he's king of Jotunheim now, and that one dealt with Jotunheim stuff a lot). Jane's stuff was handled in the main event, but Asgardians of the Galaxy would give some context for what happened with Brunnhilde and Annabelle Riggs, which will likely come into play in her book. And the Omega issue for all 3.
    Last edited by Raye; 08-17-2019 at 08:21 AM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

War Scrolls with Daredevil is great.
    The Punisher one is real fun.
    The Spider-Man one is cute.
    Strikeforce, are 3 one shots that fill in some missing information.
    Giant-Men is amazing probably my favorite.

The rest are really hit or miss, but do not skip the Thor or Asgardians of the Galaxy ones.

Journey Into Mystery was a serious missed opportunity. Miles Morales and Kate Bishop on the same team, and it never comes up that Miles used to date Kate's evil (she was Hydra) Ultimate counterpart?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman