Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Default The Hank Pym Thread closed?

Since Pym is literally about the only Marvel I cared about it has become rare that I come to this forum anymore.
    Imagine my surprise to learn that his appreciation thread was closed.
    Yeah, he got dissed, whacked, dissed, and whacked again in a horrible way with apparently Marvel's nod of okay, but why close the fan thread? Did Marvel threaten somebody or something?

I'm serious. Not getting why an Appreciation thread would be closed unless the commenters went really over the bend to such a point it wasn't worth moderating anymore.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

ALL appreciation threads got closed at the beginning of the year. We had to make new ones.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

so pervasive is the feeling that Hank Pym is the most undeservedly put-upon character in the marvel universe that people have taken to creating entire threads to pity him.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Since Pym is literally about the only Marvel I cared about it has become rare that I come to this forum anymore.
    Imagine my surprise to learn that his appreciation thread was closed.
    Yeah, he got dissed, whacked, dissed, and whacked again in a horrible way with apparently Marvel's nod of okay, but why close the fan thread? Did Marvel threaten somebody or something?

I'm serious. Not getting why an Appreciation thread would be closed unless the commenters went really over the bend to such a point it wasn't worth moderating anymore.
    Yeah. I think the one you had bookmarked got closed. Most appreciation threads had to be rebooted.
    "Cable was right!"

Since this is presumably going to be an annual thing, would there be a way to insert a link to the new thread in the final post of the old one when this happens next, to prevent similar confusion? Kyer may be the only one who made a thread about it, but there may be other infrequent posters who just don't know the thread they'd been following (maybe only responding to it when they got a notification that it had been posted to) was closed and a new one started in it's place. It's a bit of a logistical problem though since the new thread will only be created once the old one is closed, so it would have to be up to the mods to add the link.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

To be fair it's not supposed to be an annual thing. There was some problem where posts kept vanishing and the only solution was to open a new thread. Makes me wonder how there's a 2019 Shuri thread when the original isn't plagued with the posting bug.
    "Cable was right!"

They closed ALL appreciation threads. In at least one case, the thread had been created in December 2018. It was a stupid decision. It should've been all threads with a certain number of posts, not all appreciation threads.

The DC Comics section has a stickied thread called the DC Comics Forum Directory. The person who made that thread seems to be gone, so it's not been updated and is effectively obsolete. The Marvel forums don't have that problem, because I'm the one who made the equivalent threads (Appreciation Thread Indexes - linked in my signature). It's caused a real mess though, as now there's locked threads mixed in with open ones (can't update the character thread links until someone makes a new thread for that character, you see).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-16-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    so pervasive is the feeling that Hank Pym is the most undeservedly put-upon character in the marvel universe that people have taken to creating entire threads to pity him.
    That feeling is not without merit. Hank is one of the most put-upon characters in the Marvel universe by other characters in the Marvel universe, Marvel writers and some fans who seem to be unable to move on from the sins of Hanks past and treat him like a monster or a ticking time bomb.
    Last edited by KC; 08-16-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    That feeling is not without merit. Hank is one of the most put-upon characters in the Marvel universe by other characters in the Marvel universe, Marvel writers and some fans who seem to be unable to move on from the sins of Hanks past and treat him like a monster or a ticking time bomb.
    he is, literally, a monster

he is, literally, a monster
    Now he is because he is fused with Ultron. But he was treated like a monster long before that.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Now he is because he is fused with Ultron. But he was treated like a monster long before that.
    i'll agree to disagree.

i'll agree to disagree.
    I mean, he was, and for no good reason. But if you want to agree to disagree on this, that is fine.

Hank Pym (possibly) makes an appearance in Tony's current Iron Man series.