Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I'm a big Shooter fan. I wish we could see more of Defiant and Broadway Comics' characters. Might be nostalgia but I thought their comics were great. Future and Virtual Comics were fun too. I know Triumphant Comics has a bad rap but I enjoyed all their titles.
    Future Comics was Bob Layton's attempt, right? I remember buying those because they looked so Shooter era Marvel.

Coincidentally, their web site looks very Shooter era, too:

https://www.futurecomicsinc.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    EC .....

Reminds me of this.

Is that surprising? Seeing as EC (as well as Atlas at the time) were some of the main targets of the (above) Senate's Subcommittee on Juvenile Delinquency and Comic Books.
    It's what led EC to being defunct, as they would not kowtow to the "self-policing” of the comics code, news stands then refused to cary their books, eventually their own distributors were targeted, so even those who wanted the books couldn't receive them. There was no way they could stay in business.

It'd be nice if someone with photo-tech skill, could highlight some of the comics being burned.

https://historicaltribune.files.word...948-comics.jpg
    Chamber of Chills...#?
    https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016...2225905971.jpg
    In this one you can can definitely see a copy of Atlas' "Astonishing"-
    http://fragsandbeer.com/wp-content/u...collection.jpg
    Looks like this one - https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....YL._SY445_.jpg
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-18-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    I never read it, but it had its fans at my LCS in the 90s.
    I believe I have the whole series put up. It was pretty good for what it was then in 1990's. I'd say it and the Zorro books was the real only noteworthy books the company had during its run.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I believe I have the whole series put up. It was pretty good for what it was then in 1990's. I'd say it and the Zorro books was the real only noteworthy books the company had during its run.
    The Kirby books led to some very good and underrated Dynamite series a few years ago, with Alex Ross covers and some very good writers attached.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Is that surprising? Seeing as EC (as well as Atlas at the time) were some of the main targets of the (above) Senate's Subcommittee on Juvenile Delinquency and Comic Books.
    It's what led EC to being defunct, as they would not kowtow to the "self-policing” of the comics code, news stands then refused to cary their books, eventually their own distributors were targeted, so even those who wanted the books couldn't receive them. There was no way they could stay in business.

It'd be nice if someone with photo-tech skill, could highlight some of the comics being burned.

https://historicaltribune.files.word...948-comics.jpg
    https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016...2225905971.jpg
    In this one you can can definitely see a copy of Atlas' "Astonishing"-
    http://fragsandbeer.com/wp-content/u...collection.jpg
    Looks like this one - https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....YL._SY445_.jpg
    There's also a site which shows the images of every known comic cited in Seduction of the Innocent.

http://www.lostsoti.org/SOTIComics.htm

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    Future Comics was Bob Layton's attempt, right? I remember buying those because they looked so Shooter era Marvel.
    Bob Layton and Dick Giordano. I discovered them several years after the company went defunct.

History of Dell/ gold key/ Whitman. (note Disney comics outsold marvel and dc at the time!)

Blackthorne was another gone company.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Retired

Ned Pines comics--published the Black Terror among others--had different publisher names--Standard, Nedor, Better, Pines.

Centaur--one of the earliest publishers--published the Clock and Amazing Man.

Has anyone mentioned Fox--publisher of Wonder Man, the Blue Beetle, Phantom Lady, Rulah the Jungle Goddess?

Chesler.

Eastern Color--the earliest of the regular comics publishers, starting in 1933.

Fiction House--publishers of Sheena the Jungle Queen and many a comic with half-naked women in peril on the covers.

Hillman--publisher of Air Boy and the Heap.

Lev Gleason--publisher of Daredevil, the Little Wise Guys, the Claw, the Silver Streak and CRIME DOES NOT PAY.

Magazine Enterprises--the comics company run by editor Vin Sullivan (former DC editor who had edited the earliest Superman and Batman comics), who brought in many creators to deliver quality material.

St. John--the comic company that published some of the Matt Baker romance books; and also for which Joe Kubert and Norman Mauer did a lot of great work.

After the original Fawcett line was cancelled, they came back a few years later in the late 1950s--identifed by collectors as Hallden/Fawcett--they published mainly Dennis the Menace which they continued to do until around 1980.

Has no one mentioned Tower? In additon to publishing T.H.U.N.D.E.R. AGENTS, they also did Tippy Teen.

Now don't get me started on all the Canadian publishers.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Centaur--one of the earliest publishers--published the Clock and Amazing Man.
    As well as Minimidget, Ritty, and their 3 foot Midget Plane.

Loved Now and Innovation back in the day. I especially liked that they were ending "Lost in Space" by bringing the Robinsons back to Earth... and then they went under before ending the storyline. :P

Whitman and Gold Key were two publishers when I was growing up who printed (reprinted?) Disney, Warner Bros., Tom & Jerry, and other similar funny animal comics.

Retired

Back in the 1980s, 1990s, I bought all the reprint issues of EC from Gladstone Publishing, from Russ Cochran. Cochran then went to Gemstone Publishing with the EC material. And I believe I bought every single EC that they offered in single issue form--I have them all in a long box--they later put out Archives, but having already bought this material (sometimes two or three times over) I didn't feel like getting the Archives, as well. They also put out the reprints of Disney material. I bought a few of those but not much.

Dell (for the most part) was the publisher of all the Disney comics in the 1940s and 1950s. Since this was under Western Publishing, it was then Gold Key that took over once Western started up that company in the 1960s. A lot of Disney material that had been first printed and then reprinted by Dell was reprinted by Gold Key in turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    . . . Has anyone mentioned Fox--publisher of Wonder Man, the Blue Beetle, Phantom Lady, Rulah the Jungle Goddess?
    Note on Phantom Lady from Fox (for those unaware of it): the character was first published by Quality Comics, where she wore a yellow outfit with a green cape.

After Quality gave up their comic book line, Fox took over the Phantom Lady character. Their version had the blue outfit with the red cape, and the artwork was more cheesecake-like. (And damn good, too!)

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Agreed. Some of my favorites were...

Topps' Lady Rawhide from Don McGregor:

And Topps' Dracula VS. Zorro (also from McGregor):
    Last edited by K7P5V; 08-18-2019 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Made a correction.