Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Comic Magazines Company wasn't Centaur Comics yet when it published the Clock in FUNNY PAGES No. 6 and FUNNY PICTURE STORIES No. 1. That company got off the ground thanks to Busy Arnold, who went on to start up Quality Comics. Their next angel was Harry "A" Chesler but he was bought out by Ultern Publications, before they in turn were bought out by Centaur Publications. Chesler then went on to package comics for other publishers including for his own imprints.

The Clock meanwhile was sold off by Ultern to Quality Comics, which published new stories in FEATURE FUNNIES (aka FEATURE COMICS), before moving to CRACK COMICS. But when Centaur took over from Ultern, they also reprinted the old Clock stories from their inventory.
    Great info, Jim, except that the company's name was "Ultem", named after the owners, Ullman & Temerson. See https://www.comics.org/publisher/7631/ for more.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    the company's name was "Ultem", named after the owners, Ullman & Temerson.
    Well that makes sense. Big OOPS on my part. I should just copy and paste, rather than relying on my poor ability to read from computer screens. For the longest time I thought Stephen Amell was Stephen Arnell. Maybe if screen fonts were in Times New Roman rather than Arial, I wouldn't have this problem.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Charlton Comics, who were publishing quite a bit of material by 1955.

Spectacular Member Chintzy Beatnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I loved Crossgen so much and it broke my heart when it all fell apart. It had something for everyone no matter what your tastes. Sword and Sorcery, space opera, gods, detective stories, horror, and so much more.
    I wish Marvel would do something with it since they own it now, bu the few times they did do anything it was just so different it might as well have been a new thing.

I almost quit reading comics all together when things fell apart there.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I have to wonder when Disney will turn their attention to some of these properties in Crossgen they own. The company owns the characters. Ruse would make a good TV series.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

CrossGen had such great promise as a competing publisher but its CEO made bad business decisions that bankrupted CrossGen. I hope Disney will be better management than the CEO.

Something like Meridian is custom made for a big budget Disney movie. Teenage heroine, flying airship, floating cities, sky pirates, ect. It just screams Disney movie.

Spectacular Member Chintzy Beatnik's Avatar

Especially since they have Disney Plus now and it’s the perfect platform for smaller projects.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Something like Meridian is custom made for a big budget Disney movie. Teenage heroine, flying airship, floating cities, sky pirates, ect. It just screams Disney movie.
    And if they make a movie out of Sojourn, they can use the actual actors and celebrities who appeared in the series, as traced by Greg Land!
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    And if they make a movie out of Sojourn, they can use the actual actors and celebrities who appeared in the series, as traced by Greg Land!
    They'd have to have three actors for each character and switch actors between each shot

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

One of the most underrated artists who worked at Charlton would definitely have to be Enrique Nieto (Just Married #104, February 1975):