Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Mighty Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,070

    Default Iger interview, STAR WARS slowdown. Streaming service.

    Here is the link to the full thing https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...owdown-1145493

    Really interesting interview. This part was interesting. Notice that he doesn't mention Rian Johnson's trilogy at all....

    HR:Many believe Disney should pump the breaks and not put out a Star Wars movie each year.

    Iger:I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made I take the blame was a little too much, too fast. You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn't mean we're not going to make films. J.J. [Abrams] is busy making [Episode] IX. We have creative entities, including [Game of Thrones creators David] Benioff and [D.B.] Weiss, who are developing sagas of their own, which we haven't been specific about. And we are just at the point where we're going to start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.'s. But I think we're going to be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that.

    No mention of Rian's project
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  2. #2
    Mighty Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Here is the link to the full thing https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...owdown-1145493

    Really interesting interview. This part was interesting. Notice that he doesn't mention Rian Johnson's trilogy at all....

    HR:Many believe Disney should pump the breaks and not put out a Star Wars movie each year.

    Iger:I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made I take the blame was a little too much, too fast. You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn't mean we're not going to make films. J.J. [Abrams] is busy making [Episode] IX. We have creative entities, including [Game of Thrones creators David] Benioff and [D.B.] Weiss, who are developing sagas of their own, which we haven't been specific about. And we are just at the point where we're going to start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.'s. But I think we're going to be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that.

    No mention of Rian's project
    Or mentions of the TV show, or the two cartoons, or the new monopoly game...
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar you know?

  3. #3
    Mighty Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Or mentions of the TV show, or the two cartoons, or the new monopoly game...
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar you know?
    Why would he mention them when he is talking about films? He mentions JJ. He mentions
    Benioff and Weiss. He forgets Rian, the man who is making a trilogy of films?

    Really?

    Something feels off. Either the trilogy is dead or has been scaled back. Maybe it's been turned into one movie?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  4. #4
    Mighty Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Why would he mention them when he is talking about films? He mentions JJ. He mentions
    Benioff and Weiss. He forgets Rian, the man who is making a trilogy of films?

    Really?

    Something feels off. Either the trilogy is dead or has been scaled back. Maybe it's been turned into one movie?
    It only feels off if one thinks the Last Jedi was a commercial failure and might be part of something that needs to be scaled back..but seeing as it wasn't a commercial failure, and that Johnson himself said it was a go not that long ago to take it's absence in a single statement as hint that it is part of what Iger feels needs to be pruned back really does come across as grasping at straws.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Why would he mention them when he is talking about films? He mentions JJ. He mentions
    Benioff and Weiss. He forgets Rian, the man who is making a trilogy of films?

    Really?

    Something feels off. Either the trilogy is dead or has been scaled back. Maybe it's been turned into one movie?
    It's the most publicly talked about of the upcoming projects. Hell, people talk about it more than IX(for good or bad).

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member Starter Set's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,666

    Default

    He can make as many movies as he wants, i sure as hell not going to bother with any of them.

  7. #7
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    7,009

    Default

    Another thing to take note of is how often Bob says "we" in relation to Star Wars. When the reporter asks him anything Marvel related he always refers to Fiege. It feels that Bob is much more hands-on with Star Wars now while having complete trust in how Fiege runs Marvel. Not a good look for Lucasfilm.

  8. #8
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    19,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Another thing to take note of is how often Bob says "we" in relation to Star Wars. When the reporter asks him anything Marvel related he always refers to Fiege. It feels that Bob is much more hands-on with Star Wars now while having complete trust in how Fiege runs Marvel. Not a good look for Lucasfilm.
    Disney being more hands on with Star Wars is part of why Solo failed. Lucasfilm wanted to release it in December of this year.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Another thing to take note of is how often Bob says "we" in relation to Star Wars. When the reporter asks him anything Marvel related he always refers to Fiege. It feels that Bob is much more hands-on with Star Wars now while having complete trust in how Fiege runs Marvel. Not a good look for Lucasfilm.
    So you think that Disney is "ghosting" Kennedy and Johnson?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    So you think that Disney is "ghosting" Kennedy and Johnson?
    Personally I think it's Kennedy as I believe that with Rian Johnson, they want to slowly distance themselves from him after the Last Jedi backlash.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,991

    Default

    https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/01...-poster-lineup

    Looks like the spinoffs are absent from this poster, although it'd be kind of weird to have Han, Chewie, and Lando twice over. Also where's Threepio?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  12. #12
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,195

    Default

    I personally think Star Wars movies every few years is better than 1 a year.

    They should be special.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  13. #13
    Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I personally think Star Wars movies every few years is better than 1 a year.

    They should be special.
    No reason why the original model could not have worked. It's the execution.

  14. #14
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Robe Jaldari View Post
    No reason why the original model could not have worked. It's the execution.
    I still think less is more. Not everything can or should be treated like Marvel. I'd be happy with less Star Wars, but more quality.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  15. #15
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    6,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/01...-poster-lineup

    Looks like the spinoffs are absent from this poster, although it'd be kind of weird to have Han, Chewie, and Lando twice over. Also where's Threepio?
    Yeah, looks like it's just a Saga-only poster.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Personally I think it's Kennedy as I believe that with Rian Johnson, they want to slowly distance themselves from him after the Last Jedi backlash.
    Would a few internet trolls really be worth it, esp. as the guy is making more movies for them?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •