Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I think the writers are mandated to use Thanos because of MCU sinergy rather than having interest in the character. Bendis' writing Thanos like a saturday morning cartoon villain with cringe worthy dialogue and a punching bag for the heroes is a good example of not giving a s*** about the character.
    To be fair Bendis a total media whore and always wants to use the biggest and most popular things. Does not matter what it is if it is popular he wants it to raise his own profile. It is like how he keep saying how much he loved the Guardians when he took aver that book when the truth is if they had not been a movie property he would not have touched the book with a ten foot pole.

I dunno if I agree with that. You don't have to like the guy's work but he's always come across as very genuine to me.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I dunno if I agree with that. You don't have to like the guy's work but he's always come across as very genuine to me.
    If you read his GOTG at all you wouldn't say that.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    He shouldn't torture himself by reading his Bendis GOTG though.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    To be fair Bendis a total media whore and always wants to use the biggest and most popular things. Does not matter what it is if it is popular he wants it to raise his own profile. It is like how he keep saying how much he loved the Guardians when he took aver that book when the truth is if they had not been a movie property he would not have touched the book with a ten foot pole.
    Sometimes I do wonder if this was actually Bendis’ doing or editorial putting him on the book because he is a big name who did a lot for Avengers and they wanted the same for Guardians.

What I do think is the case is that editorial wouldn't have put him on the book if not for the movie. Remember when they moved Hickman off Ultimates because it wasn't selling enough for an A-list writer? I have a feeling that without the movie, GotG would not have been viewed as a book worth putting an A-lister on.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    I have read more than I should have.

His being bad at writing it is not the same thing as him not being a fan.

I think Thanos has transformed into something different than most Marvel villains. He' s leading man now who has been consistently able to carry his own title. I think he should be pushed as regular staple of Marvel's ongoing titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    To be fair, he's also done stuff like Moon Knight and Spider-Woman... characters I'm sure both he and marvel knew wouldn't be breaking into the top 10 anytime soon.

I frankly think Marvel often PUT him on books they believed he might help in sales. Often big titles do get big writers, and for a time Bendis was the biggest in the industry. But there were also a few books here or there where they HOPED his name might boost sales a bit. I don't think Bendis really lost sleep over only writing high profile books. Any book he wrote was going to be talked about. Might not be a top 10 seller... but it was going to get some spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    I think Thanos has transformed into something different than most Marvel villains. He' s leading man now who has been consistently able to carry his own title. I think he should be pushed as regular staple of Marvel's ongoing titles.
    The problem is they keep writing him as a rampaging brute with stupid dialogue who never uses his brain and tech to deal with his problems, not only he's very powerful but he's also a crafty scientist. Also i don't like how they draw him as a blocky, Hulkesque monstrosity. Ron Lim is the definitive Thanos artist to me.

Not to mention that he was supposed to have stopped being a nihilist in the pursuit of Mistress Death's love and became a True Neutral hermit who would occasionally help the heroes save the universe or pursuing sources of knowledge.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Do people see Cates’ Thanos as just a brute? Because it’s not what I saw.
    His “killing everything” was very similar and inventive as Infinity Gauntlet #4 (I know he has supposed to have left that’s life behind him, but it’s very similar and he takes the same pleasure as he did back then)
    He’s also shown as smart, in that he goes back to the past to correct his mistakes.

I miss the hermit Thanos as much as everyone here, it seems, but I don’t think Cates deserves the criticism he gets.

BANNED

I think part of the problem is that on the one hand Starlin wrote him as the ultimate "can only be bested by himself" that can get old really fast. On the other hand we had stuff like Ka-Zar having any chance against him for example.

I think there are more writers who can write him without making him a Mary Sue. Al Ewing for example wrote him well in his Ultimates run. The escape was a great example of that.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    I think part of the problem is that on the one hand Starlin wrote him as the ultimate "can only be bested by himself" that can get old really fast. On the other hand we had stuff like Ka-Zar having any chance against him for example.

I think there are more writers who can write him without making him a Mary Sue. Al Ewing for example wrote him well in his Ultimates run. The escape was a great example of that.
    Keith Giffen's Samaritan story was pretty good. It also introduced modern Star-lord.

BTW, Ka-zar's Thanos (what the heck was Mark Waid thinking?) wasn't the real one but a lower level Thanosi clone

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    To be fair, he's also done stuff like Moon Knight and Spider-Woman... characters I'm sure both he and marvel knew wouldn't be breaking into the top 10 anytime soon.

I frankly think Marvel often PUT him on books they believed he might help in sales. Often big titles do get big writers, and for a time Bendis was the biggest in the industry. But there were also a few books here or there where they HOPED his name might boost sales a bit. I don't think Bendis really lost sleep over only writing high profile books. Any book he wrote was going to be talked about. Might not be a top 10 seller... but it was going to get some spotlight.
    Bendis is like the Todd Howard of comics. Fallout 3 and 4 sold lots and lots of copies but are hated by the oldschool Fallout fans because of several lore/continuity mistakes and the casualisation of the roleplaying mechanics.

I'm for giving multi years break to villains. Thanos during Gauntlet saga as a part-timer farmer was great. He is a more interesting character when he is more grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Jacket View Post
    I'm for giving multi years break to villains. Thanos during Gauntlet saga as a part-timer farmer was great. He is a more interesting character when he is more grey.
    Couldn't agree more. Agressive, thuggish edgelord Thanos gets boring pretty quickly. I firmly believe that Keith Giffen's portrayal of Thanos as a True Neutral wanderer who acts out of curiosity and self preservation was very good and how modern Thanos should be portrayed.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 09-02-2019 at 08:40 AM.