View Poll Results: Is Guy Gardner More Interesting as a Red Lantern?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 43.18%
  • No

20 45.45%
  • I Just Want to See the Results

5 11.36%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Soule took a Clown and made him into
    The coolest GUY in the Galaxy

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    Agreed. That's definitely what Guy's narrative purpose was in the mid-80s through the early 90s, and even to some degree in the Johns era.

Guy is the very definition of a good team book character. Easy to grasp, write, and bounces off other characters in humorous ways.

Though later on Johns and Tomasi attempted to make Guy more 3D, more stable, a leader.

Which version to use now? Both work, so I guess it's whichever one fits the current direction.
    My issue with modern stories is that Guy & Hal seem almost interchangeable.

I loved how GLTAS made them clearly distinct without making Guy look like a total nut-job.

Astonishing Member

Strictly speaking I think he was just more interesting with Charles Soule writing him.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    My issue with modern stories is that Guy & Hal seem almost interchangeable.

I loved how GLTAS made them clearly distinct without making Guy look like a total nut-job.
    GLTAS, like with BTAS, managed to find the ideal balance with a lot of characters, that the comics often just can't quite nail.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    GLTAS, like with BTAS, managed to find the ideal balance with a lot of characters, that the comics often just can't quite nail.
    That is the fault of modern writers, and editors, imo.

Batman from BTAS really reminds me of the 1970's incarnation written by Denny O'Neil, and Steve Englehart.

Hal from GLTAS seems like the 1980's version written by Len Wein, and Englehart.

The creators of both animated series were clear fans of the Bronze Age, imo.

Although, Guy was clearly modernized for GLTAS, and it was great. It was comedy gold how well Guy got along with the Guardians, as opposed to Hal (even though Guy, an unwavering protector, was clearly an a-hole).

I'm feeling more & more like a real life version of Steve Rogers (a man not quite in sync with the modern era) with my responses, smh.

Retired

I notice in those pics of Red Lantern Guy that he's gone blond--probably because they realized his natural red hair wasn't working. I had an aunt with bright red hair and her favourite colour to wear was green.

From a purely aesthetic perspective, I think red-haired characters in all-red outfits are overdoing it. In super-heroes, you want some colour contrast.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Ech, enough with the colour lanterns. Though more Guy Gardner is always a good thing.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.