1 2.50%
  • Multiple people using the Leviathan ID

11 27.50%
  • None of the above

18 45.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Exactly, and the box Martian Manhunter gave Ollie could be the explanation behind Leviathan's tech. Tech that even Bruce doesn't know about, and Clark can't seem to counter.

Manhunter intended for Ollie to use the box to stop the Justice League if it ever came down to it, but Ollie apparently has other plans. It's like Green Arrow's Tower of Babel, but he thinks bigger than Bruce, and no one saw it coming.

I could roll with that. For sure.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    Read somewhere, not sure where, that suggested Max Lord. Supposedly Maleev said on Twitter that the composition of the cover to Event Leviathan #2 being similar to Justice League #1 wasn't a coincidence. There was some other clue that suggested Lord, but I can't remember what it was.
    I don't know if he has been directly mentioned in the story yet. Have they done anything with him since the end of Justice League vs Suicide Squad?
    Last edited by cranger; 08-16-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Exactly, and the box Martian Manhunter gave Ollie could be the explanation behind Leviathan's tech. Tech that even Bruce doesn't know about, and Clark can't seem to counter.

Manhunter intended for Ollie to use the box to stop the Justice League if it ever came down to it, but Ollie apparently has other plans. It's like Green Arrow's Tower of Babel, but he thinks bigger than Bruce, and no one saw it coming.

The only thing about the box was he thought it was empty and left it in the mud with his costume. Of course, he does have his costume back so maybe he went back to pick it up?

Personally, I think the box is actually what Luthor offered Lois. He says "Honestly, Miss Lane, something I can only trust with you." So it's the box with something to take down the JL with or it's something that will ultimately come into play as being something that could take him down and stop Perpetua. Because I think Luthor still has a plan to supplant her and in giving Lois the key to stopping her, knowing she'd pass it along to Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

If Leviathan turns out be a villain or less than heroic (which, of course), I definitely cannot get behind it. I'm an Oliver fan (and a Steph fan, too), and I have no desire to see him torn down or diminished in hero-dom this way. Don't think the stated motivation fits his mentality, either (though, as I said, that doesn't matter with DC). I'm sure if it's him, he'll end up worse than Batman in his event, his actions less justified, and less swept under the rug/forgiven after, because he's not the powerhouse of Batman. He's more likely to fail more spectacularly immediately, too. I was really, really hoping that Rebirth would give us a chance to leave behind the often crappy Post-COIE Ollie who was frequently a terrible person to his loved ones and get a good-guy (if flawed) Ollie again. This does not help with that. And Steph has already been dealt a crap hand for an event before, too.

Of course, I don't like any hero being made bad (or less good - whatever) for an event, completely ignoring their years of characterization, motivation, methods, etc.. I wish I could have enough faith to believe the heroes would all come out fantastic and true to their natures (not just this story, but with Batman Who Laughs, etc.), but I'm not expecting that, given comic-book-event-history.

I was so hoping this thread would have some ideas that wouldn't depress me. But, given DC's marketing and history, I guess that was a long shot.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-16-2019 at 02:15 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    If Leviathan turns out be a villain or less than heroic (which, of course), I definitely cannot get behind it. I'm an Oliver fan (and a Steph fan, too), and I have no desire to see him torn down or diminished in hero-dom this way. Don't think the stated motivation fits his mentality, either (though, as I said, that doesn't matter with DC). I'm sure if it's him, he'll end up worse than Batman in his event, his actions less justified, and less swept under the rug/forgiven after, because he's not the powerhouse of Batman. He's more likely to fail more spectacularly immediately, too. I was really, really hoping that Rebirth would give us a chance to leave behind the often crappy Post-COIE Ollie who was frequently a terrible person to his loved ones and get a good-guy (if flawed) Ollie again. This does not help with that. And Steph has already been dealt a crap hand for an event before, too.

Of course, I don't like any hero being made bad (or less good - whatever) for an event, completely ignoring their years of characterization, motivation, methods, etc.. I wish I could have enough faith to believe the heroes would all come out fantastic and true to their natures (not just this story, but with Batman Who Laughs, etc.), but I'm not expecting that, given comic-book-event-history.

I was so hoping this thread would have some ideas that wouldn't depress me. But, given DC's marketing and history, I guess that was a long shot.
    Nothing Leviathan has done has been overtly evil. They use strictly non lethal means (and everyone has commented on it, and Clark has felt it first hand), seem to make offers rather than demands to whoever they come to, and will not engage in a fight with Superman because they think he'll see it there way soon enough. They just think that the way heroes are going about being heroes is antiquated or at least largely ineffectual.

And apparently, according to Bendis, Leviathan has a point with their pitch, and the heroes are going to have to come to terms with that.

Hell, they don't even use guns or any real lethal means in their confrontations.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

"Leviathan's" first act was to take over and essentially reform a terrorist organization as well.

Cover for #6 - Looks vaguely like a woman with what looks almost like a domino mask underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post

I wonder if there's a thematic thing going on with Superheroes becoming antagonists or criminals as part of Year of the Villain.

Look at Wally (but we all know why editorial wanted that to happen) or the new Secret Six, and now the possibility of Leviathan being an established hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Cover for #6 - Looks vaguely like a woman with what looks almost like a domino mask underneath.

The only woman in this story with a domino mask is Manhunter.

Nothing Leviathan has done has been overtly evil. They use strictly non lethal means (and everyone has commented on it, and Clark has felt it first hand), seem to make offers rather than demands to whoever they come to, and will not engage in a fight with Superman because they think he'll see it there way soon enough. They just think that the way heroes are going about being heroes is antiquated or at least largely ineffectual.
    Okay, but "non-lethal" doesn't exclude "less than heroic" (doesn't actually exclude "evil" in the real world, but may do so in comics) - the type of control that the marketing has hyped Leviathan as attempting is immoral, IMO, and very much unheroic.

All right, taking into account the cover to #6, the scuttlebutt on #3, and my personal preferences, here are my current odds:

Max Lord - 5-1
    Coming from out of nowhere to land a spot on the list.

Pro: He's a con man/hustler at heart who's tangled with Waller before, and used to run Checkmate. The bit about the JLI cover. His "we've got to save the world MY way" thing fits his MO.
    Con: Depending on which incarnation is canon, he's not as averse to killing as Leviathan apparently is. Also not female, and has never worn a domino mask. Hasn't been name dropped yet.

Kathy Kane - 4-1
    Pro: Has used bat-tech in the past. Previously ran Spyral which has some freaky tech. Female who has worn a domino mask. Seems likely that she'd recruit Batgirl. DC might want to clear the deck of previous Batwoman. Big on doing things differently than Batman.
    Con: Obscure. No in-story clues per se. Has not been name-dropped.

Ollie - 3-1
    Pro: Recently had hands on secret otherworldy anti-JLA tech. Had recent run-ins with Waller. Is actually IN the story, so he's a fair play suspect. Disillusioned with standard super-heroing. Rebel. Wears a domino mask.
    Con: Seems weirdly out of character to be running a charismatic organization. He's a bomb-thrower, not a leader. Male. Also, it seems like a weird road to send one of DC's top ten characters down.

Roy Harper - 5-1
    Pro: He's already an Outlaw, has ties to the intelligence community. Red hood costume fits his color scheme. Name dropped for fair play purposes. Has worn a domino mask in the past.
    Con: Currently really quite dead. Where'd he get the tech? Also not exactly a philosophical leader of men.

"The Question" - 6-1
    Everyone is taking it for granted that the Question we're seeing in this book is Vic Sage, and not somebody else.
    Pro: "Hiding in plain sight" is always fun.
    Con: Doesn't really answer the question (so to speak) of who Leviathan is. Male.

Manhunter - 10-1
    Pro: Her original motivations always ran towards "the system isn't working." Female. Ties to the golden age. In the story. Can talk persuasively, like a lawyer.
    Con: Not really a con man. Unless she's gotten her hands on some old-school Manhunter tech, this seems outside of her skill set. No motivation established in-story.

Lois - 25-1
    Pro: Female. In the story.
    Con: Not a mask wearer or a con man. Unless she's a clone or a parallel Earth Lois, would be a ludicrous shake up.

Parallel Universe People - 20-1
    Pro: Could be anyone. Name dropped by Plastic Man.
    Con: It doesn't seem to be that kind of story. That said...

Earth-2 Roy Harper - 50-1
    Pro: He's not dead! As a pre-Crisis refugee, would know something about "broken worlds." Half-name dropped.
    Con: Male. Not a con man. No established motivation.

People from the future - 100-1
    Pro: Explains the tech
    Con: Lazy. Also, doesn't seem to be that kind of a story.

I'm not even entertaining Jason Todd, Damien, Plastic Man, or Steve Trevor.

PS I just noticed that if you squint at that cover to #6, the blue part looks kind of like a bat-logo.
    Last edited by ducklord; 08-16-2019 at 05:32 PM.

It's Shrinking Violet. Here's the proof:
    74141-4971-73224-1-legionnaires.jpg

Sorry, saw the thread title and couldn't resist. Since I'm not reading current comics, I don't even know what this thread is about.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
    It's Shrinking Violet. Here's the proof:
    74141-4971-73224-1-legionnaires.jpg

Sorry, saw the thread title and couldn't resist. Since I'm not reading current comics, I don't even know what this thread is about.
    Bendis trying his hands at a mystery/event. Dragged in Jason Todd as an obvious scapegoat, but shaky (at best) reasoning for targeting him in the latest issue. And, Bendis can not write Damian at all. Didn't chump Jason at least, but that's about all I can say about that.

It's Wally West!

(too soon?)

Mighty Member

I don't see how that looks any more female than male.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

I think it's possible that Leviathan is more than one person as well. Waller's accusation that the mask was basically focused grouped and the way they always seem to appear concurrently with one of the suspects makes me think that. Basically, we could end up with a "we are all Leviathan" thing at the end.
    I was thinking that it might be more than one person, but only because of "Scream." I still think Bendis is going to go for the emotional punch of it being someone (or someones) we know, rather than just a large impersonal collective. (although that mask keeps making me want to call him/her "Locust"...)