• Multiple people using the Leviathan ID

11 27.50%
  • None of the above

18 45.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    Alleged females on covers and meta-thinking aside, who are the characters that we would consider "fair play" at this point? For my ten cents, "fair play" suspects have to have been seen or name dropped by this point. If we're going by THAT standard, then the list of suspects narrows down considerably, to something like:

- Batman
    - Ollie
    - Manhunter
    - "Vic Sage" (I'm still not convinced it's him under the mask)
    - Plastic Man
    - Lois Lane
    - Roy Harper
    - Jason Todd
    - Damian
    - Barbara Gordon
    - Steve Trevor
    - Sam Lane
    - Amanda Waller
    - Guardian (another Harper)
    - Mr. Bones
    - Superman
    - Talia
    - Luthor
    - Ralph
    - Kobra
    - Other characters I'm certainly forgetting.

Of those, I'd put uneasy money on Ollie.
    I doubt that DC is going to follow the 'fair play' standard. It's most likely going to be a character who wasn't mentioned or seen in the story.

Mighty Member

How about Crush, Lobos daughter?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Alleged females on covers and meta-thinking aside, who are the characters that we would consider "fair play" at this point? For my ten cents, "fair play" suspects have to have been seen or name dropped by this point. If we're going by THAT standard, then the list of suspects narrows down considerably, to something like:

- Batman
    - Ollie
    - Manhunter
    - "Vic Sage" (I'm still not convinced it's him under the mask)
    - Plastic Man
    - Lois Lane
    - Roy Harper
    - Jason Todd
    - Damian
    - Barbara Gordon
    - Steve Trevor
    - Sam Lane
    - Amanda Waller
    - Guardian (another Harper)
    - Mr. Bones
    - Superman
    - Talia
    - Luthor
    - Ralph
    - Kobra
    - Other characters I'm certainly forgetting.

I agree. After really mulling it over, and revisiting a tweet where Bendis actually says that the mystery is solvable before the answer is given in the comic, I'm of the mind set that, in classic whodunit fashion, we see the culprit in story--even in the same location as the character (or characters) who will solve it. In light of this and the compelling behind the scenes stuff, I'm also going with Ollie as my pick.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Is this counting just Event Leviathan? Or the one shot, because that adds a few characters. If we include all the lead up in Action Comics, the list gets quite larger (and the story very convoluted).
    I have to imagine that it's a bit of both. Like, all pertinent information will come up in Event Leviathan itself (such as Barbara not being seen since being approached alongside Ollie), Amanda Waller and Sam Lane's involvement, and Superman's connection to it all (next issue will see Batman interrogating Clark). So, if someone is just following Event Leviathan they'll be able to solve the case before the last issue.

That said, the Action Comics lead up and the Superman special both seem to be in service of what Leviathan will be to Superman after all is said and done, rather than it being being linked to solving the case.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by golgi View Post
    How about Crush, Lobos daughter?
    She doesn't have the resources,motives or connections to pull this off.Why would she have a grudge against various spy agencies?

Astonishing Member

I think Tiger and Huntress are also suspects. Tiger especially. But I do think it's more likely that if it's a Scooby Doo "you've seen the person" than it's a person that's within the Event Leviathan book itself.

Actually I do think there's a high chance that it's Batman himself. It doesn't strike me as off-brand for him to decide that the entire world's secret super-spy espionage groups aren't effective enough and that he's going to fix them.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I'm thinking it might be someone like Lois Lane, which would dumb if were her.

Are there any actual clues it could be Lois? The entirety of her own series and all.her appeances in Action Comics would be fake. I haven't seen any actual basis for her as a suspect.

New 52 Superman. In a masterstroke Event Leviathan will actually tie into Doomsday Clock. He never merged with the current Superman, he's still a separate entity belonging on a different Earth but is stuck here. thanks to Manhattan. The means of which Manhattan swapped him out during the New 52 has left not only him but the entire Earth unstable. His mind is in a weird place and he's trying to make things like his world, but he's not far enough gone yet to go full on villain; he won't commit any unforgivable atrocities like murder. His continued presence is outright harming the stability of the reality of Earth-0. This is the Superman that Rebirth/Button/Doomsday Clock Saturn Girl is trying to save, as she's from the same Earth (she's very obviously not Earth-0's Saturn Girl anymore). Going home with her Superman will save both him and the main reality and be the last step in fixing Manhattan's meddling. Upon success Earth-0 is finally stabilized, and finally the new Earth-1 is established.

This is my fanboy dream.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-19-2019 at 06:25 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I think.....of those listed, Ollie and Vic Sage are the most likely. Though I do think Ralph makes a lot of sense if any of his pre-flashpoint history is in play.

Vic could have planted a "Question" mole in the detectives group; it's not like we see his face so we don't really know. And if Vic is Leviathan that opens the doors for the "Question" name, and we know Ranee is in Lois Lane so she's here and ready to become the official, "main" Question....who now has a new goal of dealing with Vic. But what would Vic's motivation be? Far as I know he hasn't even really appeared that much since the New52, and nothing from pre-reboot stands out as inspiring a move like this. Unless he's just decided that groups like Checkmate and Spyral need to be dealt with, what's his angle here?

Ollie has the motivation, between No Justice and HiC and whatever else. And maybe J'onn's magic box gave him the means (assuming he returned for it after abandoning it). But I dont think he's got the brains. This is some serious cloak and dagger stuff for a guy who's a loudmouth and wears his intentions on his sleeve. And, while Ollie respects Superman, Leviathan seems to be almost creepily preoccupied with him, which doesn't fit Ollie either.

Obviously it's New52 Superman, like Sacred says. But just to keep the mystery debate rolling......

"We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Seriously, Vic would be an interesting choice. I've been eyeing the ones around when Steve was found. It was there Steve said something about them all being together as a possible smokescreen because one of them was Leviathan.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

I wonder if the new Question mini by Lemire starting in November is considered "in continuity" or not. If it is, I guess that might eliminate Vic from consideration.

Extraordinary Member

I am trying to find reasons to eliminate Sam Lane. Something that 'rules out' a lot of people is Leviathan showing up at times when we think we know certain people are elsewhere, like everyone at the fortress when Leviathan confronts Waller would be ruled out. Unless we consider that someone, or multiple people, will wear the disguise as needed.

Leviathan's obsession with 'the alien' leads me to Sam Lane, and the scene that might rule him out, where he shoots the Leviathan agent in the hospital might actually be meant to throw us off because in reality he was aiming for The Question and missed.

The only reason to eliminate Sam Lane is that he hasn't really left that hospital room for the duration of the Leviathan Rising arc and now into the main series. He was in that bed while Leviathan was appearing all over the DCU and has been. Now, Leviathan could be more than one person, so he could be both incapacitated and still as suspect.

But I think the biggest reason he's not is that he just learned about Lois's connection to Superman a few days prior to the attack, so Leviathan's attitude toward Superman as an organization would likely have been more antagonistic if it was Sam Lane's brain child. Prior to that meeting with Lois, which seems to have thrown him for a loop, he still had an issue with Superman. The attack in Leviathan Rising seems likely to have been an attempt to recruit him & take out Waller with what we've learned so far. Same with the hospital meeting. They were trying to bring him in, quietly given they used an agent and not the big teleporting hulk thing. He wasn't going to be left as a witness like Trevor was, that already happened and they were at a random location. His heart attack seems to have thrown a wrench in that.

Mighty Member

Plus, Sam Lane is a soldier. I don't think he'd have any problem killing his enemies if he needed to.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Plus, Sam Lane is a soldier. I don't think he'd have any problem killing his enemies if he needed to.
    That too. He killed the agent and went for the Question too.