Default Golden Age Zatara (Giovanni "John" Zatara) Appreciation 2019

NOTE: This is a continuation of the previous "Zatara (Giovanni "John" Zatara) appreciation thread" which can be read here:
    From the original thread (started in July of 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy

First appearing in the same issue as a certain Kryptonian, "Zatara Master Magician" was one of several features to debut in Action Comics #1 (June 1938).

It looks like Zatara appeared relatively regularly in Action Comics until issue #132 (cover-dated May 1949) and then sporadically until he disappeared from that title after issue #141 (February 1950). However, he also was appearing in World's Finest Comics starting with the first issue (which was actually World's Best Comics) cover-dated (Spring) 1941, with that gig lasting until issue #51 (April-May 1951).

When he next appeared, it would be when his daughter Zatanna began searching for her father in the 1960s, starting in Hawkman #4 (October-November 1964).

By the way, here's the full version of Zatara's Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XXVI (April 1987) entry:

from Action Comics #3 (August 1938):

BANNED

I'm kind of annoyed and disappointed that we never got a Zatara story to celebrate HIS 80th anniversary alongside Superman's.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I'm kind of annoyed and disappointed that we never got a Zatara story to celebrate HIS 80th anniversary alongside Superman's.
    I've had this idea that they should do a "World's Finest" story with Zatara and Slam Bradley.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

I like the one appearance Zatara on B:TAS.

ZataraBTAS.jpg

Astonishing Member

I was introduced to him in a 3-part Zatanna story in Adventure Comics illustrated by Gray Morrow. Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I was introduced to him in a 3-part Zatanna story in Adventure Comics illustrated by Gray Morrow. Great stuff!
    Possibly Adventure Comics #413-415 (from late 1971)?

Astonishing Member

Yes, indeed!

I loved that comic book. Unfortunately, my mom gave it away (to the trash men) a couple of years later because we didn't have room at the time for a small comic book collection. After that, I started storing my comic books at my grandparents -- who had room and lived next door.

That's also one of my favorite Bronze Age Supergirl outfits. Look at it now -- it seems to have been inspired somewhat by Batgirl's original outft -- with matching log on chest and belt. I pretty much ignored that Robotman story.

A few more pages with Zatara from Action Comics #3 (August 1938):

Ultimate Member

I really enjoyed the use of Zatara on the Young Justice cartoon, and the eventual resolution of his story was bittersweet.