Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orion vs. Asura

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    Yes, the new Orion is much more powerful than his Post Crisis counterpart. However, the OP states that it's the post crisis version we're using.
    Ah, excuse my slim reading there.

In which case Asura should pretty casually end post crisis Orion.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Which storyline is this? If there is a reasonably priced ebook I would be interested thanks.
    I didn't read it myself, someone posted scans of it here late last year I believe. Sorry I don't know more.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, the new Orion is much more powerful than his Post Crisis counterpart. However, the OP states that it's the post crisis version we're using.
    Sounds more like his Presentation is finally matching his "Destined to kill Darkseid" hype

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Didn't rebirth Orion mess up a whole star system in a fairly recent Green Lantern storyline? As I recall, he got a bit of a buff there in terms of presentation.
    Sorta. He was in a fight that messed up a whole star system, and as I recall didn't seem especially worse for wear at that point. But I think the actual attack came from the Celestial knock off he was fighting. He's also laughed out being literally speed blitzed into the ground by Superman and generally stomped all over Hal Jordan and the GLC.

They seemed to really be pushing the New Gods as some of the most powerful beings in the DCU. They seem to start at like Herald level and go up from there. Although I haven't kept up in a bit now, so maybe they suck again.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Sorta. He was in a fight that messed up a whole star system, and as I recall didn't seem especially worse for wear at that point. But I think the actual attack came from the Celestial knock off he was fighting. He's also laughed out being literally speed blitzed into the ground by Superman and generally stomped all over Hal Jordan and the GLC.

They seemed to really be pushing the New Gods as some of the most powerful beings in the DCU. They seem to start at like Herald level and go up from there. Although I haven't kept up in a bit now, so maybe they suck again.
    So can you tell me which comic this was? I would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    So can you tell me which comic this was? I would appreciate it.
    Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #26. According to the author, it's a shared feat between Orion and the Golem.
    There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload.".

I like to think the 90s was the time when comics hit puberty. They’d grown out of being endearing but hadn’t yet figured out where to channel their emotions to not be utterly whiny cocks. -Beadle

Mighty Member

Thanks I appreciate it.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

For what it's worth, this era of Asura is able to travel at ridiculously beyond light speed and react to and dodge beams that go from outside the galaxy to the Earth in seconds while charging towards them at full speed, and tanked said beam that vaporized multiple planets to get to him as wll as a supernova shortly thereafter, without even scratching his metaphorical (probably) paint job.

How would Orion's true size, unmodulated by the portals that make New God's human-sized, compare to Asura The Destructor?

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    For what it's worth, this era of Asura is able to travel at ridiculously beyond light speed and react to and dodge beams that go from outside the galaxy to the Earth in seconds while charging towards them at full speed, and tanked said beam that vaporized multiple planets to get to him as wll as a supernova shortly thereafter, without even scratching his metaphorical (probably) paint job.

How would Orion's true size, unmodulated by the portals that make New God's human-sized, compare to Asura The Destructor?
    That hasn't been portrayed very consistently, but at his biggest planets we're basically dustmotes to him. I don't really count the size stuff for much given all the contradictions, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    That hasn't been portrayed very consistently, but at his biggest planets we're basically dustmotes to him. I don't really count the size stuff for much given all the contradictions, personally.
    What contradictions? New Gods always use Boom Tubes to go from regular space to the Fourth World. I remember one comic where Supergirl travels there without using a boom tube and she smaller than a flea when she got there.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

What contradictions? New Gods always use Boom Tubes to go from regular space to the Fourth World. I remember one comic where Supergirl travels there without using a boom tube and she smaller than a flea when she got there.
    Which is way bigger than she should be. New Gods are meant to perceive planets as motes of dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Which is way bigger than she should be. New Gods are meant to perceive planets as motes of dust.
    Absolutely, the size is very contradicting. Sometimes they're the significantly larger than planets and other times there only the size of a building.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Should we handwave them as being approximately the same size as one another, considering that Asura started off big enough to shield the entire Earth behod one arm (IIRC) to being visible at all (albeit flea-sized in comparison) to Chakravartin's head while Chakravartin was big enough that guys face filled the entire sky on Earth while he was still outside the galaxy, and was causing galaxies to begin to orbit around himself?