Question Poor job on editing with Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #47?

For about the last two years, Fred Myers (Boomerang) has been going through a heck of a redemption arc in Amazing Spider-Man, which I've been excited to read every month. When Boomerang appeared in this issue of Squirrel Girl, I thought it was really discordant to the wider Marvel universe. I understand that not all comics take place in real time, so stuff like Daredevil being the God with No Fear during War of the Realms while in his own book Matt gave up active crime fighting is understandable, because Matt surely hasn't quit forever and it can be explained that the events of WotR takes place either before or after that. But a wider arc like Boomerang has been going through surely should have been kept note of by someone in editing, because him immediately attacking Doreen after her identity was revealed really just doesn't fit.

Is Doreen still called a second year student on the recap page? Because she should be a third year by now (per Champions and Magnificent Ms Marvel, which both mention the start of a new school year). That book is not known for staying true to continuity, and Ewing's New Avengers (a team that had Doreen on it) was one of only two other books to reference USG (the other being Howard the Duck, which had a full blown crossover). I think USG and the wider universe are pretty much ignoring each other.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-17-2019 at 08:13 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Thor has referenced events in Squirrel Girl, as well.

But yeah, sometimes it plays fast and loose with continuity in other books, but to be fair, the reverse is also true, with exceptions on both sides every now and then. It was pretty jarring to have Boomerang be back to just wanting to attack her for the hell of it, yeah.

To be fair I enjoy Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and one of the arcs and character developments I really enjoyed was with Kraven and his friendship with Doreen. The years of character development he had and how much he was used in the series I found enjoyable.
    Then 'Hunted' happened in the Amazing Spider-man series that took the character development and dismissed it seems.
    Now the writers might not know what stories are going to happen and who will be used. Boomerang since Superior Foes has been getting a bit more spotlight but still B list overall and often can be seen as a joke (and joke or absurd characters are often is able to fit better with into Doreen's series then most others.

Who knows how the situation might be handled in the next issue. Boomarang might just want 2 bucks when Mary (joke being he's not after Squirrel Girl at all) accidentally knock his hot dog out of his hand and given 2 bucks just walks away. We might find another villain (the woman that outed Doreen) went to him and offered him protection against Fisk provided he is part of the 'first wave' in the assault.

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl has never been concerned with a strict fixation on continuity. College Dean Kraven, Counting Count Nefaria, and the outcome with Nightmare all scream "don't connect this with any other Marvel Comic too closely". You might as well ask why Thanos didn't use his Thanos Copter in Avengers Endgame.

And does anyone really believe Galactus gave Doreen verified status on Stark's network?

It's a fun book not meant to fixate on being like everything else.

In the 80s you would have got a no prize for pointing it out. These mess up are nothing new.

Remember jigsaw breaking spider-mans arm in avengers due to them putting in the wrong bad guy? Oops.

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl has never been concerned with a strict fixation on continuity. College Dean Kraven, Counting Count Nefaria, and the outcome with Nightmare all scream "don't connect this with any other Marvel Comic too closely". You might as well ask why Thanos didn't use his Thanos Copter in Avengers Endgame.

And does anyone really believe Galactus gave Doreen verified status on Stark's network?

It's a fun book not meant to fixate on being like everything else.
    Kraven did bring it up in the last story a little plus us avengers she talked about some of her wins also.

You might as well ask why Thanos didn't use his Thanos Copter in Avengers Endgame.
    He did use the blade of it for a sword so it is in there in some way!

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/07...r-jim-starlin/

Yeah Kraven mentioned the SG stuff briefly in the last issue of Hunted.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

If Squirrel Girl cared about fitting in perfectly with the rest of the Marvel Universe I think it would have significantly fewer fans. The relative detachment, and tendency to spin characters as it sees fit would largely be considered a positive. It does its own thing, and doesn't worry too much about what goes on elsewhere.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

It's obvious Ryan North doesn't give a damn. Even Ultron showed when it's established that the main AI is stuck to the Pym-tron.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    It's obvious Ryan North doesn't give a damn. Even Ultron showed when it's established that the main AI is stuck to the Pym-tron.
    The Ultron story is fine--it is not the first time that there have been multiple Ultrons running around, due to back-ups and self-repair programs. Old damaged versions (like the one that became Dino-Ultron in SQUIRREL GIRL) have repaired and reactivated, meanwhile new incarnations of Ultron have already activated elsewhere.

Back in the original WEST COAST AVENGERS series there was a story with Ultron-11 and Ultron-12 fighting each other. So multiple Ultrons running around is nothing new--it happens.

Boomerang is a trickier issue...but it could something as simply as Fred just backsliding briefly. He'd hardly be the first villain to make an attempt at reforming but still slip back into old habits now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Boomerang is a trickier issue...but it could something as simply as Fred just backsliding briefly. He'd hardly be the first villain to make an attempt at reforming but still slip back into old habits now and again.
    I could definitely see Fred slipping back for a job or something, but in the issue it was just revenge on Doreen.

Mighty Member

Unbeatable Squirell Girl, like Moon Girls, is not really in-continuity: Kraven is almost a good guy, Galactus is friendly... and it's fine ! This kind of comics don"t need to be too weighted by continuity. They are mainly directed to kids or young adults, and new readers.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !