Default Lucasism: "The great mystery".

This kind of pops up in the dialogue of Indiana Jones in the Temple of Doom ("Into the great unknown mystery, I go first, Indy!") after Wu Han is shot, and then it's said again by Palpatine as he's starting to reveal his true identity to Anakin.

"If one is to understand “the great mystery” one must study all it’s aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Jedi. If you wish to become a complete and wise leader, you must embrace a larger view of the force".

Although Lucas didn't directly write TOD's screenplay (That was his frequent partners William Huyck and Gloria Katz, who also script-doctored part of the Star Wars dialogue) it has been said that along with KOTCS that it has the most Lucas input in it (As Lucas was going through a messy divorce and was in a "dark" mood)

I've heard it's a term that's been used by Lucas in interviews, basically I think it's his basic term for spiruality/religion/bit of an afterlife (although he used "netherworld" in his ROTJ draft and at the end of ROTS as well).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Interesting observation.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Although Lucas didn't directly write TOD's screenplay (That was his frequent partners William Huyck and Gloria Katz, who also script-doctored part of the Star Wars dialogue) it has been said that along with KOTCS that it has the most Lucas input in it (As Lucas was going through a messy divorce and was in a "dark" mood)
    Pre-Disney, Every film George Lucas produced and especially directed has his input on it, no exceptions.

These movies don't have more or less input than any other.

Empty is thy hand!

It just speaks to George's appreciation for greater concepts existing outside of but not necessarily central to the stories he's telling. As much as folks complain about midichlorians, they completely miss the heavy presence of mysticism that still exists.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    It just speaks to George's appreciation for greater concepts existing outside of but not necessarily central to the stories he's telling. As much as folks complain about midichlorians, they completely miss the heavy presence of mysticism that still exists.
    I think what Lucas is looking for is some sense of the unknown and beyond but not really tied to any one thing, any single belief, and worldview.

To me the most cosmic moment in Star Wars is that bit in Revenge of the Sith when Anakin and Padme somehow seem to see each other across the skyline. This part is totally unexplained, and we are never told what is meant by it.

As much as people focus on what Lucas explains or overdoes with his Special Editions, there's a good deal of stuff that Lucas left unexplained and insist on never telling, for instance Yoda's origins. Mandalorian got around that with the new "Baby Yoda" species but that still means that the original Yoda's backstory remains a mystery.