Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
It’s hard to respect the opinions of those that hold the certain identities of others in a negative light and maliciously attack them, but I get what you’re saying.
I'd caution that there actually are far less who engage in malicious attacks or have a negative view that it seems. The news media has a vested interested in spotlighting such people to boost ratings and to further their political ends. Creators of pop culture tend to exist deeply in a progressive echo chamber, and their depictions of Republicans, conservatives, and Christians are typically caricatures with very little resemblance to real-life Republicans, conservatives, and Christians. Most of us truly aren't what you think we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
I also get using comics as an escape, as I recall seeing people with depression and the like that found pleasant comfort in reading comics and likes them very much. That said, I don’t think this idea of using comics as escapism should stop writers from writing comic stories with political and social elements, and I think the approach that should be had, if any in particular, is how the politics are handled along with the hopefully good storytelling and characterizations. The majority of people don’t like low quality comics after all.
The escape provided by comics has been important since I was a kid. My childhood was filled with a great deal of abuse, illness, and death, and I still struggle with severe PTSD and chronic depression. Having some avenue of escape that doesn't have the weight of the real world on it is a real sanity saver. At times, it has truly been a life saver.