Default A new Superman show based on Man And Superman

"Man and Superman" by Marv Wolfman is very good, imo. I really like the fresh perspective of how it presents Clark arriving in Metropolis. If we ever get a new TV show, I'd like them to adapt this story at least for the first season. Not an exact copy obviously, but the way Clark is shown, it makes him very relatable AND likable, and that is very important, especially for TV with longer and deeper storytelling possibilities. I really liked to see him intereacting with regular people from his job and how Lois and Lex were written.

But I still want to see Jor-El, and I still want Pa Kent to die some time early in Superman's career. I think it can be done. Jor-El is too iconic to just ignore. And of course, I want to see Krypton at the start or something similar to Superman the Movie, etc. Just don't make Jor's influence on Clark too important and definitive.

Thoughts?

Edit: I also want to see the "college years" when Clark is traveling to other places of the world trying to find his purpose. Just don't take a whole season doing it. A few episodes could be enough with effective storytelling.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 08-17-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Eh, there's not really enough meat there to support a whole television season, maybe two episodes or so. And this is coming from someone who loves Man and Superman. I could definitely see this comic informing the style and tone along with some story and/or character beats for before Superman puts on the big red S and cape, but I wouldn't want to wait most of the season to get to classic Supes. So yeah, a whole show is a little much, but I'd definitely be thrilled if a show took inspiration from this story for a good two to four, maybe five episodes max. Then maybe take some more inspiration from Birthright for the rest of the story after he's come out as Superman. That'd be combining his best two origins in the modern era for my money, and would be a dream to see. Maybe throw in a little bit of jeans and t-shirt Supes in there somewhere, especially with the personality, without Morrison's...Morrison-ness. But definitely mostly Birthright and Man and Superman.

As for the world traveling stuff, I feel like most of that should be handled via small flashbacks and such whenever they're relevant to the plot.

Agreed, I honestly think elements from man and superman should be combined with elements from the original max fleischer superman animations to make a really good start for a live action or animated series.

They also need to choose the right type of villians to place in the show and remember not only are these villians that can challenge him mentally and emotionally, but also will produce a good deal of action. The biggest problem with superman returns was its massive lack of action. The advantage of man and superman is this is clark kent with very low level abilities, so you can pit him against very low level opponents. Id suggest adversaries like the Early Intergang, ultra humanite and toyman instead of lex luthor due to him being overexposed, and instead, slowly build him up to being supes's villian before his power starts to grow.

Speaking of which, remember how superman's powers and abilities work in accordance to his emotions, infact, you could write supes inability to fly and low level strength, the result of fear and almost loathing of one-self and how by the end of this adventure he gains those abilities and they slowly begin to grow as a result of his self acceptance and slow adjustment in finding his place in the big city.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, there's not really enough meat there to support a whole television season, maybe two episodes or so. And this is coming from someone who loves Man and Superman. I could definitely see this comic informing the style and tone along with some story and/or character beats for before Superman puts on the big red S and cape, but I wouldn't want to wait most of the season to get to classic Supes. So yeah, a whole show is a little much, but I'd definitely be thrilled if a show took inspiration from this story for a good two to four, maybe five episodes max. Then maybe take some more inspiration from Birthright for the rest of the story after he's come out as Superman. That'd be combining his best two origins in the modern era for my money, and would be a dream to see. Maybe throw in a little bit of jeans and t-shirt Supes in there somewhere, especially with the personality, without Morrison's...Morrison-ness. But definitely mostly Birthright and Man and Superman.

As for the world traveling stuff, I feel like most of that should be handled via small flashbacks and such whenever they're relevant to the plot.
    Well I think there is enough material to do a whole season of about 13 episodes or even more, but the story and characters in general need to be fleshed out more. It would also include the Krypton origin in at least one episode, some Smallville episodes, come college years which could work as flashbacks while Clark first arrives in Metropolis trying to make as a reporter like this story.

My main point is that Man and Superman offer a fresh perspective to what happened when Clark first arrived to Metropolis. Give audiences something new they haven't seen about the characters.

Animated movie would probably be a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Animated movie would probably be a better option.
    I don't know, reading this story felt like a Metropolis TV show done right and fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Well I think there is enough material to do a whole season of about 13 episodes or even more, but the story and characters in general need to be fleshed out more. It would also include the Krypton origin in at least one episode, some Smallville episodes, come college years which could work as flashbacks while Clark first arrives in Metropolis trying to make as a reporter like this story.

My main point is that Man and Superman offer a fresh perspective to what happened when Clark first arrived to Metropolis. Give audiences something new they haven't seen about the characters.
    Except the Krypton origin, Smallville childhood, and college years weren't really part of it. The actual material in story is one relatively short story arc. It's definitely enough to inform the tone and style of a series, but even for the current trend of half-season seasons (13 episodes) instead of the traditional 20+ episode seasons you'll wind up short if all you do is try and pad the arc from the comic. You'll need to take at least some inspiration elsewhere or make up some new stuff. Which is totally cool. I'd love a Man and Superman inspired show, but you'll really need to expand on it a lot to make it work. I mean, since they weren't in the book you'd have to look somewhere for those Krypton, Smallville, and other flashbacks.

Alternatively Vordan's animated movie idea could work. I just hope they'd do it as much justice and stay as faithful as the did for say Batman Year One or The Dark Knight Returns (shame I can't name a Superman feature that was done such justice or with such faithfulness).