Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Chip Zdarsky does it again

Chip's run on Daredevil is fantastic. I've just read the latest issue, #9, and he manages to fit so much in a single issue. Not to mention the great art by Sharma. This is the first series I've read in awhile that I want to just buy trades for everyone I know.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I've lost track of Daredevil over the years but I agree with you about Zdarsky's talent. I think he should take on the Fantastic Four next. Slott is not doing what the title needs to make it top drawer again. It's very hit or miss.

I've only recently gotten into comics, so I don't know any of the deeplore, but the Zdarsky run does a great job at being a standalone story. The references to past events/necessary background lore is always presented to the reader. The Iron Man book that Simone took over from Slott also got much better immediately IMO. I hope he is able to find a book that suits him well, but I do prefer it when someone else is writing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I've lost track of Daredevil over the years but I agree with you about Zdarsky's talent. I think he should take on the Fantastic Four next. Slott is not doing what the title needs to make it top drawer again. It's very hit or miss.
    Could not agree more

Zdarsky has become one of my favorite writers. I am a long time Daredevil fan and am very much enjoying his run right now. You are right that issue 9 packed quite a bit!

His current mini-series: Spider-Man: Lift Story is becoming one of my all time favorite spiderman stories. Highly recommend this series!

After his Marvel 2 in 1 which was a hidden gem among comics, I was really hoping he would take over the FF book. Perhaps in the future he can get in on that title. I’m not a fan of Slott.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

His Spider-Man is a dissapointment (especially Life Story), but his Daredevil run has been pretty good so far, at least it has better start than Soule's
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Zdarsky has become one of my favorite writers. I am a long time Daredevil fan and am very much enjoying his run right now. You are right that issue 9 packed quite a bit!

His current mini-series: Spider-Man: Lift Story is becoming one of my all time favorite spiderman stories. Highly recommend this series!

After his Marvel 2 in 1 which was a hidden gem among comics, I was really hoping he would take over the FF book. Perhaps in the future he can get in on that title. I’m not a fan of Slott.
    I liked Zdarsky's Marvel Two in One quite a lot too, which in a sneaky way was briefly a Fantastic Four book, with Ben and Johnny teamed up with Infamous Iron and Rachna Koul tagging along. The MTIO annual featuring Victor and a new Council of Reeds was also a favorite along with the real Reed returning later on towards the end of the series.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

His Daredevil run is fantastic, I agree. Obviously, I love it when people are loving Daredevil. But I don't want to let his Invaders run go unnoticed. It's absolutely a hidden gem.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Amazing Member

I've been a fan of his since his Howard the Duck run. Also, his Star-Lord series was great too!

Another top-notch job from Zdarsky. It is nice to see I am not alone in my appreciation of his recent work on Daredevil.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandGold View Post
    I've been a fan of his since his Howard the Duck run. Also, his Star-Lord series was great too!
    If you liked those books (and I loved them) check out "Kaptara" if you haven't. It's an action-comedy in a sci fi setting. Basically an awkward, nerdy scientist crash lands on Eternia (He-Man's planet). He lives in He-Man's castle and has to adjust life in an insane world where science is useless. It's hilarious.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    If you liked those books (and I loved them) check out "Kaptara" if you haven't. It's an action-comedy in a sci fi setting. Basically an awkward, nerdy scientist crash lands on Eternia (He-Man's planet). He lives in He-Man's castle and has to adjust life in an insane world where science is useless. It's hilarious.
    Thank you for letting me know about this!!! MOTU was my favorite toy line & cartoon growing up in the 80's, so this sounds fun. I'll be ordering it asap. White Trees #1 & Invaders #8 came in the mail today so I'll be reading those tonight.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlueandGold View Post
    Thank you for letting me know about this!!! MOTU was my favorite toy line & cartoon growing up in the 80's, so this sounds fun. I'll be ordering it asap. White Trees #1 & Invaders #8 came in the mail today so I'll be reading those tonight.
    You're welcome! White Trees... man oh man. It is NOT for kids, heads up. "Kaptara" only got one volume but I really hope he revisits it sometime. Mark Millar also did "Reborn", in which it turns out when you die on Earth you go to... Eternia. If you're a good person you get to be a She Ra or Man At Arms or Ram Man. If you were a bad person you might be Skunkor. Super crazy fun. Only one volume so far too. (I mean they never SAY it's Eternia in either book but... it's Eternia. I'm sure you knew that but just throwing it in there just in case).

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    You're welcome! White Trees... man oh man. It is NOT for kids, heads up. "Kaptara" only got one volume but I really hope he revisits it sometime. Mark Millar also did "Reborn", in which it turns out when you die on Earth you go to... Eternia. If you're a good person you get to be a She Ra or Man At Arms or Ram Man. If you were a bad person you might be Skunkor. Super crazy fun. Only one volume so far too. (I mean they never SAY it's Eternia in either book but... it's Eternia. I'm sure you knew that but just throwing it in there just in case).
    I read The White Trees last night. I really liked it, but yeah...def not for kids or homophobes. Too bad it's only 2 issues. I read Reborn when it 1st came out and enjoyed it too. You're right, it was like a "spiritual cousin" to the motu/She-Ra universe. I hope we get a follow up someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutcrawler View Post
    Chip's run on Daredevil is fantastic. I've just read the latest issue, #9, and he manages to fit so much in a single issue. Not to mention the great art by Sharma. This is the first series I've read in awhile that I want to just buy trades for everyone I know.
    100% agree! Zdarky's run has been fantastic thus far and issue #9 may be the single best Daredevil issue I have read in quite some time. While the art in #9 was solid, I still miss the art we got from Checchetto in the first arc of Zdarsky's run.