Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Green Arrow sidekicks Roy Harper, Mia Dearden and Emiko...

which one is your favorite? Personally I like all three as they all bring something unique to the table. Does anyone like the GA/Speedy/Red Arrow dynamic as good or better than Batman and Robin?

I really only know Roy and Mia, not so much Emiko mostly. And this is from the TV shows by the way. So by the simple fact Young Justice is superior to Arrow, Roy wins. Or at least his clone does, whatever.

Roy wins, hands-down for me, but that's Daddy!Roy. I love the relationship with Lian. I like YJ cartoon clone Roy in the first season, but he's not much like the actual teenage Roy of the comics (not as different as Superboy to his newly born comic counterpart, though, that's for sure). I did like Mia a lot in what I read of her, but I quit reading the title when Ollie started drifting into cheating jerk again (Ollie being taken back to his pre-Crisis self was a thing of wonder to me, because I hated what was done to his character in his post-Crisis titles). I liked Connor and Emiko well enough in the little I've read of them. But Emiko was quite different when we met her than after she aged up a bit, and it frankly makes it slightly difficult to wrap my head around the character. I only read her in some GA, as I'm have only read a few issues of N52/Rebirth Teen Titans. Of course, Connor had some retcons applied, too.

I would love to see modern comics writing the dynamic between Ollie and Roy when he was young. But something closer to the positive dynamic they actually had - not retconning the negativity that came later into onto the earlier relationship where it doesn't belong (IMO, of course).

I was a very big fan of Mia during Winnicks run. She added a lot to the title and we got to see her grow quite a bit.

It’s a shame that she has been seemingly replaced by Emiko and in limbo since the New 52.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Coming on New 52 I only know Roy and Emiko. My impression on Emiko was "female Damian" and Roy is "annoying"
    I understand that Post Crisis Roy is much more mature though, and out of all characters that transitioned to New 52 he seems to be the one downgraded the most.

Ultimate Member

Although they are different characters, I've enjoyed both comics Roy, Arrow Roy and Young Justice Roy. I would rate Artemis, from the Young Justice cartoon, as my second-favorite DC junior archer/sidekick, over Mia or Emiko (or Arrowette).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    which one is your favorite? Personally I like all three as they all bring something unique to the table. Does anyone like the GA/Speedy/Red Arrow dynamic as good or better than Batman and Robin?
    Emiko is my favorite and one of the stand-outs from Percy's Green Arrow.

I frankly don't see the Damien comparisons. She and Ollie are more brother and sister.

I frankly don't see the Damien comparisons. She and Ollie are more brother and sister.
    I think it's more her raising that's being commented on there, rather than her personal relationships, but I could be wrong. Then again, pre-Damian, there was Sin and her having the kid-fighter role. She just got put on a bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Emiko is my favorite and one of the stand-outs from Percy's Green Arrow.

A half-white, half-Asian kid character with an arrogant attitude, raised by an assassin and is a sidekick/blood relative to a billionaire superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    A half-white, half-Asian kid character with an arrogant attitude, raised by an assassin and is a sidekick/blood relative to a billionaire superhero.
    I wouldn't call Damian half-Asian, but that's more political than geographic, I guess, since Ra's was from Arabia, which I also don't think of as Asia, but is considered such, I think, as a subcontinent. I don't know Talia's mother's ancestry, except that I think Melisande is a Frenchish name (maybe born in French possession)?. Emiko didn't seem that arrogant to me at first, but I'm thinking about before her age-up and may be misremembering, since it's been a while since I've read those. Though kid-Emiko is really closer to Damian (when introduced) than the teenage version, I think.

Still, DC does seem to have a thing for Asian little girl assassins. Emiko, Sin, and Cass. Admittedly, two are only half Asian. There are grown women, too, but then there are a lot of grown American assassins, too, so that's less notable. It's the kids being raised to the task that's such a thing - atypical enough in fiction to feel repetitive when done more than once, unlike garden-variety adult assassins.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-18-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Emiko definitely came off more of a Damian stand-in when Lemire created her then she does now in my opinion.

As far as the topic, I'm a fan of all of Green Arrow's sidekicks .

Now bring Mia back :P.

Extraordinary Member

My favourite bow wielding teenage hero is still Arrowette, but she was never really part of "Team Arrow"...

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    My favourite bow wielding teenage hero is still Arrowette, but she was never really part of "Team Arrow"...
    I adore Cissie, but you're right, she was not a part of the Arrowfam (and I never wanted her to be...though there do seem to be a few fans who headcanon her as secretly Ollie's illegitimate kid).

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Ironically she seems to be a typical sidekick in the Young Justice cartoon, at least from what we can presume from the Batman Inc. kids given they hardly get any screentime or dialogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I adore Cissie, but you're right, she was not a part of the Arrowfam (and I never wanted her to be...though there do seem to be a few fans who headcanon her as secretly Ollie's illegitimate kid).
    Doesn't he have enough of those?

I guess illegitimate kids is a Queen family tradition...

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Coming on New 52 I only know Roy and Emiko. My impression on Emiko was "female Damian" and Roy is "annoying"
    I understand that Post Crisis Roy is much more mature though, and out of all characters that transitioned to New 52 he seems to be the one downgraded the most.
    Only knowing Roy from the New 52 has to be a rough intro to the character.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics