Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Incredible Member brandnewfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    928

    Default Do I need to read anything prior to starting Hickmanís run?

    I stopped reading the X-books soon after Second Coming. The books were so good back then and then the quality tanked big time, along with my interest.

    I’ve tried so many times getting back into the X-books but none of them since Second Coming have managed to hold my interest for very long.

    I’m going to try reading Hickman’s run but wanted to know if I’ve missed anything major in that time that plays into Hickman’s stuff?

    EDIT: I guess I should also add that the Academy X group was my favorite, and I miss Hellion, Anole, Elixir, etc. I bet none of them factor into any of the books now though, as that’s been the case for years now.
    Last edited by brandnewfan; 08-18-2019 at 05:11 AM.

  2. #2
    Ultimate Member JKtheMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bedford UK
    Posts
    10,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    I stopped reading the X-books soon after Second Coming. The books were so good back then and then the quality tanked big time, along with my interest.

    I’ve tried so many times getting back into the X-books but none of them since Second Coming have managed to hold my interest for very long.

    I’m going to try reading Hickman’s run but wanted to know if I’ve missed anything major in that time that plays into Hickman’s stuff?
    You really don’t. So far any extra context needed has been alluded to, and very quickly it builds its own context. It does help if you have a rough idea of the history of the X-Men in broad brush strokes, but you almost certainly have that based on your reading.
    ďAnd I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.Ē ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,320

    Default

    Yeah, basically if you have any remote idea who Xavier, Magneto, Cyclops, and the X-men are, you're good.

  4. #4
    Fantastic Member houndsofluv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Nope. I havenít been following the current books either up until hox and can pretty much get it all. Like jkthemac said knowing character history helps but I mean if you post here you should be fine. If Iím confused by anything either google or other posts on here can fill me in no problem

  5. #5
    Mighty Member hawkeyefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    I stopped reading the X-books soon after Second Coming. The books were so good back then and then the quality tanked big time, along with my interest.

    I’ve tried so many times getting back into the X-books but none of them since Second Coming have managed to hold my interest for very long.

    I’m going to try reading Hickman’s run but wanted to know if I’ve missed anything major in that time that plays into Hickman’s stuff?

    EDIT: I guess I should also add that the Academy X group was my favorite, and I miss Hellion, Anole, Elixir, etc. I bet none of them factor into any of the books now though, as that’s been the case for years now.
    You don’t need anything at all, I’d say. And Elixer was referenced on a list of Omega Level mutants, so that era is at least getting mentioned.

  6. #6
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    7,762

    Default

    Watch a bunch of Star Trek.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member BroHomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,385

    Default

    Do I need to read anything prior to starting Hickmanís run?
    just yourself

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9,767

    Default

    Although everyone’s already given you the answer about the readability of the book, I probably thought it would be good to also quell those Academy X concerns. Elixir is given a mention and will most likely play a big part in HOX, and up to Dawn of X title announcements at SDCC, Hickman’s been singing the New X-Men fan anthem about how there are a bajillion characters, we don’t need new pet characters, there should be a focus on underutilized characters, and “tell forward-looking stories about a lot of characters- many which you haven't seen in awhile.”

  9. #9
    New Mutant TOTALITY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Maybe it’s also worth mentioning that the very first issue opens with a new status quo in medias res and catches you up as it goes (with many blanks still not filled in), which could make someone feel like they’ve missed something explaining how everyone got here or why certain characters are alive or working together etc., so it may help to be reassured that that’s purely a storytelling choice and you haven’t missed anything.

  10. #10
    Incredible Member brandnewfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Although everyone’s already given you the answer about the readability of the book, I probably thought it would be good to also quell those Academy X concerns. Elixir is given a mention and will most likely play a big part in HOX, and up to Dawn of X title announcements at SDCC, Hickman’s been singing the New X-Men fan anthem about how there are a bajillion characters, we don’t need new pet characters, there should be a focus on underutilized characters, and “tell forward-looking stories about a lot of characters- many which you haven't seen in awhile.”
    Glad to hear. I hope that materializes. But I feel like there have been many teases for more Academy X that never panned out.

  11. #11
    Ultimate Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    17,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    I stopped reading the X-books soon after Second Coming. The books were so good back then and then the quality tanked big time, along with my interest.

    I’ve tried so many times getting back into the X-books but none of them since Second Coming have managed to hold my interest for very long.

    I’m going to try reading Hickman’s run but wanted to know if I’ve missed anything major in that time that plays into Hickman’s stuff?

    EDIT: I guess I should also add that the Academy X group was my favorite, and I miss Hellion, Anole, Elixir, etc. I bet none of them factor into any of the books now though, as that’s been the case for years now.
    Status quo for the Academy X gang:
    Wind Dancer: Depowered, last seen in New Warriors.
    Wallflower: Murdered by William Stryker in Kyle and Yost's New X-Men.
    Elixir: Turncoat. Last seen with the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in the last issue of X-Men Blue.
    Icarus: Also killed in Kyle and Yost NXM.
    Surge: Out of focus for some time after New X-Men ended. Presumed to still be a student at the school until Age of X-Man.
    Prodigy: Was a Young Avenger. Listed on the Champions' Reinforcement Roster but never actually appeared there.
    Hellion: Was shown to be working in a hospital in Uncanny Avengers.
    Dust: Currently a member of the Champions.
    Mercury: Same as Surge.
    Wither: Turncoat. Started working for Selene. Killed by Elixir.
    Tag: Depowered then killed in bus explosion at the beginning of Kyle and Yost New X-Men.
    Rockslide: Usually shows up in the school based books, often with Anole.

  12. #12
    Mighty Member 9th.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Status quo for the Academy X gang:
    Wind Dancer: Depowered, last seen in New Warriors.
    Wallflower: Murdered by William Stryker in Kyle and Yost's New X-Men.
    Elixir: Turncoat. Last seen with the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in the last issue of X-Men Blue.
    Icarus: Also killed in Kyle and Yost NXM.
    Surge: Out of focus for some time after New X-Men ended. Presumed to still be a student at the school until Age of X-Man.
    Prodigy: Was a Young Avenger. Listed on the Champions' Reinforcement Roster but never actually appeared there.
    Hellion: Was shown to be working in a hospital in Uncanny Avengers.
    Dust: Currently a member of the Champions.
    Mercury: Same as Surge.
    Wither: Turncoat. Started working for Selene. Killed by Elixir.
    Tag: Depowered then killed in bus explosion at the beginning of Kyle and Yost New X-Men.
    Rockslide: Usually shows up in the school based books, often with Anole.
    Mercury was last seen in Gen X
    Reading list: Miles Morales: Spider-Man (Marvel), Ironheart (Marvel), Champions (Marvel), Jessica Jones: Purple Daughter (Marvel), Runaways (Marvel), Young Justice (DC), Naomi (DC), Justice League Odyssey (DC), My Hero Academia (VIZ), Bitter Root (Image), Quincredible (Lionforge), Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot (BOOM!)

  13. #13
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    14,982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Mercury was last seen in Gen X
    She was last seen in Age of X-man

  14. #14
    Mighty Member 9th.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    She was last seen in Age of X-man
    Did she do anything or was she just wallpaper?
    Reading list: Miles Morales: Spider-Man (Marvel), Ironheart (Marvel), Champions (Marvel), Jessica Jones: Purple Daughter (Marvel), Runaways (Marvel), Young Justice (DC), Naomi (DC), Justice League Odyssey (DC), My Hero Academia (VIZ), Bitter Root (Image), Quincredible (Lionforge), Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reboot (BOOM!)

  15. #15
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    14,982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Did she do anything or was she just wallpaper?
    More cameo. She had a few speaking lines and panels in Amazing Nightcrawler but she doesnt play an important role

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •