Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

What isn’t earned?

I would assume all the things King has done/caused and written... from Ric to Cat-whipped, barely functioning Batman to psycho Thomas to dead Alfred.

What exactly does that mean though, not earned?

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    What exactly does that mean though, not earned?
    Some dislike Tom King's work and feel that the quality of it doesn't equate with the "privilege" (for lack of a better term) of being the writer to kill of such a beloved and long-standing character.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

He is not a good enough writer to be given so much freedom to do whatever he wants with some of these iconic characters... If you are asking who is a good enough writer to be considered "earned" the right to play around with them, doing some major changes, or what/who exactly determines who earned what, well that is a much bigger debate.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schumiac View Post
    He is not a good enough writer to be given so much freedom to do whatever he wants with some of these iconic characters... If you are asking who is a good enough writer to be considered "earned" the right to play around with them, doing some major changes, or what/who exactly determines who earned what, well that is a much bigger debate.
    Grant Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    It saddens me that I hadn't thought of his show in terms of Alfred dying here. I quit watching Gotham long ago, and never tuned for the new show, as I understood it to be same universe, but it is worth thinking on. Though there is the question of whether live-action or animated shows or even movies increase comic sales anymore. Especially those like the new Pennyworth or even Wonder Woman movie, where the time frame is so different than the current comics.
    Speaking of Gotham, I just remembered Bane totally crippled Alfred on that show. I don’t know how neck breaking works so forgive me if I’m being silly but maybe Alfred isn’t dead but paralyzed?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    People didn’t die because of Damian, people are dieing because of Bane. Alfred was already dead. Bane was just waiting for an excuse to make an example of it. His ultimatum was one he knew couldn’t be followed, and it’s one that Bruce sure isn’t gonna follow. Damian is just guilty of the same thing Bruce is, losing.
    And apparently Alfred was the one who suggested to put out the message that he would be killed if one of the bats entered Gotham. I know he did it to protect them, but come on Alfred. They are the protectors of Gotham, it's their city. What were you thinking? If Damian hadn't entered first it would have been Bruce and I don't believe that his best battle plan would have kept Bane from killing Alfred out of spite.

If Damian hadn't entered first it would have been Bruce and I don't believe that his best battle plan would have kept Bane from killing Alfred out of spite.
    Realistically, no. With a Bat-God loving writer, anything can happen.

If a superstrong, superfast person had been involved here....just sayin'. Unlike some, I can't really accept the idea that everyone else stays out of Gotham when big, publicized events like Bane taking over or NML happen.

I feel the issue of what's earned/who's earned what depends on the property owners. DC gave him the go ahead to create so he has earned it.

Mighty Member

I'll put $5 on Alfred actually being Punch.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Whether Alfred is really dead or not, it was a good character beat for Damian. He acted how I would expect him to.

Don’t negotiate with terrorists.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Whether Alfred is really dead or not, it was a good character beat for Damian. He acted how I would expect him to.

Don’t negotiate with terrorists.
    Ya, honestly i didn't think Damian came off bad. And like i mentioned before, his involvement potentially complicates things for Thomas.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-21-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Spectacular Member

Sure looked like Alfred in Doomsday Clock #3 and #9 and that is supposed to take place 1 year in future
    Last edited by Chuck; 08-21-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Sure looked like Alfred in Doomsday Clock #3 and that is supposed to take place 1 year in future
    Ha! Considering Doomsday Clock's delays, a year from issue #3 could've been a year ago in this issue!

This isn't a diss on you, btw, it's just a general diss on continuity, stories set in the future, and late books.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.