Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Is he dead though? And if he is, do we seriously believe he won't be resurrected? This kind of shock attic is now so tiring and frankly doesn't carry the impact it use to have, especially after we now had a spate of them.
    Very much agree. Even if it does turn out to be a real Alfred really dead and not resurrected for year or even ever - it'll take at least two years for me to believe it, so this story is still without ooph in that regard to me.

#77 has only shifted units because of 'said' event and will probably sustain as folk want to know outcome.
    I agree, but I guess from DC's perspective shifting units for that reason is better than not shifting units at all. Long-term impact, I can't say I think it's more than a drop-in-bucket of meaningless/shock value deaths that don't take (if that's what it is). Might be the straw that breaks the camel's back for some, but for most who buy regularly after previous deaths of this sort, they aren't likely to stop now.

I think that fan outrage over Alfred dying is much better for DC than fan boredom - more discussion and more people hear about it and more people buy. Me, I'm the bored fan. A bit irritated, but mostly just "meh." Character assassination gets me more riled up than actual assassination of comic book characters these days. And, frankly, there's been enough of that that I'm kinda getting bored with my recreational outrage over it now. I mean, reading someone else's fun and pointed reviews/complaints on HiC (or older works like Identity Crisis) is fun and all, but that's more based on the skill and content (or humorous turn of phrase) of the reviewer. The actual stories themselves don't really make an impact with me much anymore. I tend to just hope it's swept under the rug and moved on from quickly. Which is a horrible thing to hope for, because good writing would be following it up and integrating it into characters. But sometimes it was so out-of-character or nonsensical in the first place that I wouldn't enjoy any follow up for it.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-24-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Well...on the off chance that Alfred is dead and they won't pull an Injustice 2 resurrection for the moment, I would say that the return of Bruce and Selina will be a rather explosive one. I mean tbh I actually want to see Selina confront Holly and I want to see Bruce go to to toe with both Bane and Daddy dearest. Plus i do really want to know if Bruce can one up Damiens victory of teh superwoman knock of that is Gotham Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    No doubt (I was half-joking), but I still say King's run has been some of the worst crap I've read in thirty years of reading and collecting comic books.
    It takes all sorts. It's my favorite Batman run in 50 years of reading Batman comics. I wish it could go on forever.

Incredible Member

Thankfully it can't go on forever, he's already running out of relevant batfamily members to use for shock value.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    It takes all sorts. It's my favorite Batman run in 50 years of reading Batman comics. I wish it could go on forever.
    Huh..
    While I've only been doing the comic book thing for thirty plus years, I find this statement very suprising. And frankly "unbelievable". But of course, it's your opinion.
    For example recently read Don Newton's Tales of the Batman and found it to be miles better than King's run.
    Guess it's true what they say - one man's trash is another man's art (and vice-versa).
    Last edited by Mr. White; 08-25-2019 at 06:31 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Huh..
    While I've only been doing the comic book thing for thirty plus years, I find this statement very suprising. And frankly "unbelievable". But of course, it's your opinion.
    For example recently read Don Newton's Tales of the Batman and found it to be miles better than King's run.
    Guess it's true what they say - one man's trash is another man's art (and vice-versa).
    Such a statement is pretty unbelievable. This may be an enjoyable run for those who don't have a long history with the character but I find it difficult to believe anyone with any actual history with Batman would enjoy this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    Such a statement is pretty unbelievable. This may be an enjoyable run for those who don't have a long history with the character but I find it difficult to believe anyone with any actual history with Batman would enjoy this nonsense.
    I have a harder time seeing how King's run would appeal to newer readers.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 08-25-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Fantastic Member

Shock tactic. All getting a bit much.

All-New Member

Been reading since 1964....really like King’s run...

Incredible Member

Why? What about it is appealing? Not arguing, just trying to understand. He has big ideas but his follow through is terrible. His dialogue is bad and repetitive. He sets up plots points and then either abandons or forgets about them. He doesn't seem to understand the majority of the characters he writes. He's appears to only have the one thing that he keeps going back to which is depression. What about this run is enjoyable?

I started reading Batman in 1981, probably a decade or two before you were born. Love King’s run.

What I find difficult to believe, but I guess I no longer should, is how some people get so triggered by other people’s enjoyment of something. Your HTML war against all things King is weird and obsessive.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    I started reading Batman in 1981, probably a decade or two before you were born. Love King’s run.

What I find difficult to believe, but I guess I no longer should, is how some people get so triggered by other people’s enjoyment of something. Your HTML war against all things King is weird and obsessive.
    Not a decade or two before I was born but nice try. Just because you're old doesn't mean you have good taste apparently. I love how you get so triggered by some anonymous person on line questioning how anyone could enjoy a subpar writer.

All-New Member

Why? What about it is appealing? Not arguing, just trying to understand. He has big ideas but his follow through is terrible. His dialogue is bad and repetitive. He sets up plots points and then either abandons or forgets about them. He doesn't seem to understand the majority of the characters he writes. He's appears to only have the one thing that he keeps going back to which is depression. What about this run is enjoyable?
    Yeah, I don’t see any of that...it’s not as good as Morrison’s run, but I find it thoroughly enjoying...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
    Yeah, I don’t see any of that...it’s not as good as Morrison’s run, but I find it thoroughly enjoying...
    I wonder if it's personality driven? Different personality types enjoying certain things? I wasn't a huge fan of Morrison's run either. It started off ok but as it progressed I liked it less and less and ended up hating RIP. I'm not a Morrison guy but I like more of his work than King's. His Animal Man was pretty great. King did well on Sherriff of Babylon but that's the only thing he's written that I've liked.

Mosameen

The majority of fans liking King's run are BarCat fans. Hope they get what they want but I doubt even if King promised a marriage and a happy ending it won't last that the reality of comics. And to support such a bad plot, pace and characterization just so that you see your pairing ship be canon is strange.