Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Default [Spoiler] Batman 77 Preview and Discussion thread

The preview for next week's Batman is up, and it seems fitting to create an all-encompassing discussion thread.

DON'T GO IN THE APPRECIATION THREAD OF KING TO BASH IT, THANKS !

Attachment 85913

Attachment 85914

Attachment 85915

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Omigosh child please be careful

Someone tell me how Klarion's wand work?

Probably by turning on its user. I don't see Damian winning here, I'm sure he'll get his ass handed to him when the wand of a Lord of Chaos will play him.

King could surprise us, but I honestly doubt he will. Not when he can paint Damian as a moron and the reason Alfred will be truly in danger.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Probably by turning on its user. I don't see Damian winning here, I'm sure he'll get his ass handed to him when the wand of a Lord of Chaos will play him.

King could surprise us, but I honestly doubt he will. Not when he can paint Damian as a moron and the reason Alfred will be truly in danger.
    Is DC trying to throw Damian under the bus a lot lately or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    Is DC trying to throw Damian under the bus a lot lately or is it just me?
    Sure feels that way, Glass, Bendis, King. I miss the early days of rebirth. This is why i didn't want King writing Damian. he's about to be lamped and damselled
    Last edited by dietrich; 08-18-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Sure feels that way, Glass, Bendis, King. I miss the early days of rebirth. This is why i didn't want King writing Damian. he's about to be lamped and damselled
    I actually really like Glass' Damian. He feels like a more complew character than just an arrogant jerk, like too many peoples see him. He's only missing Goliath to be really great to me.

I actually really like Glass' Damian. He feels like a more complew character than just an arrogant jerk, like too many peoples see him. He's only missing Goliath to be really great to me.
    I feel like Glass is incomplete in his writing. I would like his writing if not for the many plot holes. Also I didn't like Alfred's bs and biased ramblings about Damian being like Ra's when we just saw Alfred mocking a blindfoled and crying Penguin in Bruce's secret jail. I felt the writer deliberately ignored what was going on in Batman to make Damian look like the worst when we just saw Alfred doing far far worse. Alfred he's acting like his father not his grandfather

At the very least hopefully he puts out a good showing and is shown as competent.

Incredible Member

I can already see the fandom's reaction if anything King makes Damian do endangeres Alfred even a little bit. I'm busy on wednesday, so I won't see what happens immidiatly, but I'm already not looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansa View Post
    I can already see the fandom's reaction if anything King makes Damian do endangeres Alfred even a little bit. I'm busy on wednesday, so I won't see what happens immidiatly, but I'm already not looking forward to this.
    to be fair to Damian and most likely other bat heroes too who will break the rules and endanger Alfred they can't just leave Gotham to be a totalitarian villain controlled city state.

Even if they love him Alfred is just one man - in a city of millions under an Iron boot. Damian's actions seem to be being perceived as Selfishness but I'd view it differently as strength.

Damian endangering Alfred doesnt mean he doesnt care about him. I think if enough time had passed any Bat character including Bruce would go against Bane's rules and enter the city which would endanger him anyway.

to be fair to Damian and most likely other bat heroes too who will break the rules and endanger Alfred they can't just leave Gotham to be a totalitarian villain controlled city state.

Even if they love him Alfred is just one man - in a city of millions under an Iron boot.
    I very much agree with this - and posted a similar thought (though applied to governmental bodies, rather than Damian) a month ago. I have issues with all heroes doing nothing because of hostage situation. The biggest problem is I, like Korath expect that Damian will fail and he'll look like a misguided child (at best) or uncaring monster (at worst). I expect him to be treated as incompetent here. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Now, I'm not at all saying a hero has to be incompetent in order to fail - they can be great and still lose. I just don't think that's what's going to happen here.

we just saw Alfred mocking a blindfoled and crying Penguin in Bruce's secret jail
    Oh, don't even get me started on how much I hate any hero having their secret jails. While I didn't read this one, it does make me think of an issue someone else brought up a while ago about the "deification" of Alfred - how sometimes the fandom will treat him as always right (not just in morals, but in judgement or analysis), always loving, always good, when that really isn't that canonical.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-18-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Incredible Member

Oh I can understand why Damian is doing what he does. We as the reader know that Bruce and Selina will be back and take on Bane eventually, but the characters in-universe don't and sitting on your butt doing nothing because one old man is in danger is pretty irresponsible.

I'm just not sure if King will write Damian as a capable person with a plan or if he will write him as a reckless idiot who thinks he can take on Gotham Girl, Bane and Thomas on his own with no problems.

Incredible Member

While I didn't read this one, it does make me think of an issue someone else brought up a while ago about the "deification" of Alfred - how sometimes the fandom will treat him as always right (not just in morals, but in judgement or analysis), always loving, always good, when that really isn't that canonical.
    I love Alfred, but yeah, how a lot of people treat him is really weird sometimes. I remember reading his last conversation with Damian in Teen Titans, where he said that Damian always knew who he was, because his last name is Wayne. I found that statement to be complete bullshit, but a lot of people just went: Alfred said it! It's true!

It looks like this issue will be controversial

I'm very excited though! The reddit thread shows something big is gonna go down! Look at your peril! But Wednesday can't come sooner!

Eh. I think if you're a Damian fan, reading this reddit thread may be a very good way to ease you beyond anger or anything negative to just bitter laugh and even a form of sad amusement.